News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Realistic D&D dinosaur campaign

Started by Lizerd, August 11, 2018, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Still really confused...

Lizerd

:(
Just learn basic dungeons and dragons 5th edition terms and combat rules and you  be set to play, its mostly understanding anatomy  characters and such
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Lizerd

Allrighty, I will try my best to explain this:
Quick spell course:
lesson one, holding your
woops wrong instructions
Lets start with:
Anatomy abbreviations
Starting with stats:
str stands for strength, how strong a character is. This is used in to hit rolls and damage in attacks as well as various checks, such as pushing a boulder or holding onto prey.
dex stands for dexterity, how dexterous a character is. This is used in to hit rolls, sometimes damage, and checks that involve agility such as avoiding a falling boulder
con stands for constitution, how durable a character is. It is used in the characters health points as well as checks and saving throws that involve doing something that requires constitution, such as eating rotting carrion.
Int: how intelligent a character is. Used in checks such as weighing pros and cons and decision making.
Wis: how wise a character is. Used in perception checks (how easily it can notice something) as well as a reflection of hunting experience.
Cha: There are two kinds in this game, the left side is attraction charisma (how attractive and healthy the animal is) and intimidation charisma,how scary it is.

Checks and saving throws:
A check is something you actively do, say you want to run after you depleted your endurance (how long you can run) then you would have to make an athletics check to keep running. Checks correspond to name and function, so stealth, how stealthy you need to be. A saving throw is passive and more of a reaction, say a t.rex bit you and you got infected, you would need to make constitution saving throws.

Proficiency:
Animals in this game have various proficiency bonuses. Meaning they are proficient at something and get to add that bonus to said function. Say I am a raptor, I get proficiency in stealth, meaning I get to add my proficiency bonus to my dexterity bonus which would be my total bonus to being a sneaky raptor.

I will put down more explanations in a bit but I have to go eat or I turn into a wendigo .
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

DinoToyForum

You're still not explaining the basic concept of how the game works. Skip the details and give us the basics. Are there turns? What happens on each turn? When does a turn end. How do you know when it is your turn. Are players animals? Can players choose what animal they are? Do players get eliminated one by one? How do you get eliminated? Do you start off with a certain amount of points or something like that? How do dice rolls translate into actions? Let's say you roll a certain number on your turn - what do you do then? If the basics are too complicated to explain then I don't think this thread is going anywhere. You can't write in Chinese and then say "just learn Chinese to understand it", which is sort of what you're doing.  :P

Reminds me of this... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegMWjtjJ-I

IrritatorRaji

Also, is D&D something that can be played on an online forum? I don't know how to play D&D but I know a little bit. I thought there were meant to be Dungeon Masters who wrote the story, certain packs and editions and all that... Also, whenever I see people playing D&D on Youtube they play for, like, hours at a time and the game lasts for weeks. Also, from what I understand about D&D is that it's a fantasy role playing game, I don't know the rules of D&D but I assume they are tailored around the games fantasy setting. How would the rules translate into a dinosaur themed play session? Doesn't D&D also deal with class and alignment?

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 23, 2018, 03:23:18 PM
Also, is D&D something that can be played on an online forum?

Exactly, how are you supposed to incorporate dice rolls into a forum game?  ???

I feel inclined to add here that the reason having to read sections of a rulebook (of a game that likely takes a lot of time to master) is turning people off this game is because it pretty much defeats the whole purpose of a forum game, which is to have a bit of simple, casual and uncommitted fun (Why do you think the most popular forum games all pretty much only have one or two rules? It's because it's a good way to make the participant feel like they're not wasting too much time just to write the next post in the 'The Banning Game' thread).

I'll end this post by saying that I think a good rule of thumb is that if they're based on games which have a highly committed following and/or use physical objects, then you shouldn't try to make it into a forum game.

Lizerd

Well there is no elimination, the goal is for players to survive a campaign season, and upon death, a player can quit or re-roll a new character.
You get to play as a dinosaur or a non-dinosaur of your choosing. As for die rolls we would need to find some way to meet up at the same time or have a meeting of some sort  or transcend the forum. As for fantasy elements, don't worry, I set them all on fire and threw em out as they won't be needed. However if this is too complex then we can just give up on it
:'(

Sucho-Matty-mus

I could see this as being entertaining, but only for those who are willing, or who already play DnD. Also I would find it hard to play in a forum setting and think it would only work on Discord as many members on this forum are scattered about the world so meeting up would be a bit difficult. I do like the concept with it though.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Sucho-Matty-mus on August 23, 2018, 08:47:49 PM
Also I would find it hard to play in a forum setting and think it would only work on Discord

Agreed, Discord is a much better platform for a game this complex. Unfortunately members of the DTF are scattered all over the globe in different time zones and many are working adults, so I doubt there will ever be a time where DTF players can meet up together online and have a long play session.

Lizerd

Well rip campaign, now what to do with it
:-\

Sucho-Matty-mus

Quote from: Lizerd on August 23, 2018, 10:40:39 PM
Well rip campaign, now what to do with it
:-\

Not necessarily. Now that you have built a campaign and have an idea how you want it to go, ask friends, other DnD players that you play with, etc. and I am sure you could get a group together.

Lizerd

I don't have friends  :D
nah jk but so far I only got two people willing.

Syndicate Bias

There's a website dice roller if anyone is wondering

Lizerd

Well I could try and simplify this to a forum game... but that could take a few weeks.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.