News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

KeU's Diecast Collection

Started by KeU, December 29, 2016, 05:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeU

Any diecast collectors here?

Random Group Shot...

Soopairik

Never even heard of that brand until now. I remember I had a Hot Wheels collection when I was in elementary school, though most of those cars are now donated.

KeU

Quote from: Soup on January 02, 2017, 08:39:21 AM
Never even heard of that brand until now. I remember I had a Hot Wheels collection when I was in elementary school, though most of those cars are now donated.

Brand? What do you mean?

The LaFerrari is by Hot Wheels Elite.

EmperorDinobot

I'd collect them...if they were Transformers. But those are some nice cars!

CityRaptor

"Die-cast construction! It's a lost art."

Die Cast is not a brand. A die-cast product is one which was produced by the injection of molten metal into steel molds under high pressure. The process is practically identical in concept to plastic injection molding, but uses molten metal. Many non-ferrous metals can be die-cast. The process is quick and precise, and is used to produce a wide variety of parts in many sizes. Some toys, including certain Dinosaur toys, are made partly or wholly from die-cast parts.

...did we mention it's a lost art?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

KeU

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 13, 2017, 08:31:27 PM
"Die-cast construction! It's a lost art."
Die Cast is not a brand. A die-cast product is one which was produced by the injection of molten metal into steel molds under high pressure. The process is practically identical in concept to plastic injection molding, but uses molten metal. Many non-ferrous metals can be die-cast. The process is quick and precise, and is used to produce a wide variety of parts in many sizes. Some toys, including certain Dinosaur toys, are made partly or wholly from die-cast parts.
...did we mention it's a lost art?

It's a pity that even model car manufacturers are going the way of plastics these days.
The molds are less expensive to make and survive much more casting cycles.
Technically, one can say this is more accurate since most super cars now are entirely carbon fibre (not really plastic though).

I just like the feel on the model's weight in my hand. A plastic model just feels flimsy and cheap.

Derek.McManus

I agree the heft of a metal model is part of its appeal.

GasmaskMax

Yeah, metal does give a different feel. I know I have a ton of hand-me-down Hotwheels hidden off somewhere, and not only are they more durable but they just feel so nice to handle compared to flimsy plastic.

KeU

Not cars but airliners this time around....

My B744s and Singapore Airlines fleet.

KeU

Worked on the display cases this weekend to add more glass shelves.
More space to expand the collection now.

Group shot when I had the models out when I was working on the cabinets.

ITdactyl

1. Wow!
2. What scale do you collect? (are they all in the same scale?)
3. What's with the spaces between certain models?  (I'm just really curious, and it's triggering my OCD) :D

KeU

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 11, 2018, 09:03:35 PM
1. Wow!
2. What scale do you collect? (are they all in the same scale?)
3. What's with the spaces between certain models?  (I'm just really curious, and it's triggering my OCD) :D
Yep, they are all 1:500 scale.
What do you mean empty spaces though?
I have them spread out some what evenly.
If not, it will annoy me.
One side of the display case being more packed than the other.

ITdactyl

QuoteOne side of the display case being more packed than the other

They are very neatly arranged and spaced.  If I had the same collection/display and someone moved a figure, I'd probably be fuming/frothing at the mouth. ;D

I was just curious if the spacing for some tiers of your display was intentional (like some tiers are meant only for a certain series of planes).  Take that tier in the right-hand display with (what looks like) a BAC Concorde - there seems to be a gap in between the 2 planes, like something was taken out or you're about to put something in that row.

Haha... I'm probably striking you as a meddler.  I just truly admire and envy your collection/display.

KeU

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 12, 2018, 07:03:23 AM
QuoteOne side of the display case being more packed than the other
They are very neatly arranged and spaced.  If I had the same collection/display and someone moved a figure, I'd probably be fuming/frothing at the mouth. ;D
I was just curious if the spacing for some tiers of your display was intentional (like some tiers are meant only for a certain series of planes).  Take that tier in the right-hand display with (what looks like) a BAC Concorde - there seems to be a gap in between the 2 planes, like something was taken out or you're about to put something in that row.
Haha... I'm probably striking you as a meddler.  I just truly admire and envy your collection/display.
Hahaha, not at all.
I totally understand the feeling when something is moved or out of place from my ideal position
You are correct.
I display them according to carriers where they are based.
The bottom section with the Concorde is reserved for European carriers.
And there are more of them incoming.

KeU

Front shot for a better look at the arrangement and spacing.

KeU

Messing around with my planes while waiting for PNSO to finally release their products....

Holy trinity of wide body pioneers

Classic planes and timeless liveries

747 gang out for the day

Fancy a guess on what aircraft are in the picture?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.