News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DYNAMOTERROR

Started by suspsy, October 09, 2018, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

It has one "unambiguous autapomorphy" and one provisional one (https://peerj.com/articles/5749.pdf), so to me it sounds like synonymy fodder. Which is great, because, with all due respect, I think the name is awful and I hope I don't have to hear it very many more times in my life.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

IrritatorRaji

Dynamoterror... what a name!

Reading that article though, this dinosaur sounds fascinating! I hope more fossils are found of this species in the future :)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 09, 2018, 06:12:54 PM
It has one "unambiguous autapomorphy" and one provisional one (https://peerj.com/articles/5749.pdf), so to me it sounds like synonymy fodder. Which is great, because, with all due respect, I think the name is awful and I hope I don't have to hear it very many more times in my life.
You don't know how much a relief this is. That name will haunt my nightmares. Why must paleontology become so dramatic whenever dinosaur naming get involved?

Ravonium

Well, looks like the creators of Jurassic World 3 have a new suffix for the name of whatever hybrid they come up with next!  8)

In all seriousness, I'm glad this name is likely going to end up becoming a synonym. This name sounds like the result of a game about who could come up with the worst dinosaur name, played while being either drunk, high or both.

tyrantqueen

I keep reading it as dynamo motor- er 

It is a bit try hard.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 09, 2018, 08:30:00 PM
I keep reading it as dynamo motor- er 

I kept reading it as that as well, I only realised what the real name was when I sounded it out phonetically.

UtahraptorFan

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 09, 2018, 07:19:01 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 09, 2018, 06:12:54 PM
You don't know how much a relief this is. That name will haunt my nightmares. Why must paleontology become so dramatic whenever dinosaur naming get involved?
Even though, as you can tell from my login, my favorite dinosaur was named in the generic name for where it was found, I find names like that and with somebody's name in that part (e.g.: Piatnitzkysaurus) boring so names meaning stuff like "powerful terror," "gore king," and "monstrous murderer" appeal to me more than those types of names. For the record, I am cool with those references in the specific name.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

Vidusaurus

Oof, awful awful name. I have no problem with fun names that aren't just [discovery location or name of important researcher/benefactor] + generic dinosaur name suffix (-saurus, -raptor, -titan etc), but this sounds like the publishing scientists either consulted a 10-year-old or were forced to come up with the name on the spot. Glad it'll probably get sunk into Lythronax at some point in the next few years so we don't have to go around saying Dynamoterror like we're writing a Jurassic World/My Little Pony crossover fanfiction.

Sauropelta

What's the nodosaurs name?
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

ITdactyl

Gothmog the Baryonyx

This has got to be the silliest dinosaur name ever. It's like it was names by a 10 year old, or one of those 'awesomebro' types.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 11, 2018, 05:47:44 PM
This has got to be the silliest dinosaur name ever. It's like it was names by a 10 year old, or one of those 'awesomebro' types.

Ha, yeah, it's like they let Rebor name it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

A jokey name that won't wear well on repeated hearing.  I don't much like the mix of Greek and Latin either - very jarring.

suspsy

I like the name because it makes me laugh. It's also way better than many other dinosaur names. Give me Dynamoterror over Drinker or Opisthoecoelicaudia any day.

Halichoeres raises a far more pressing concern regarding the very, very fragmentary nature of this specimen.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Vidusaurus

Quote from: suspsy on October 12, 2018, 06:03:28 PM
I like the name because it makes me laugh. It's also way better than many other dinosaur names. Give me Dynamoterror over Drinker or Opisthoecoelicaudia any day.

Halichoeres raises a far more pressing concern regarding the very, very fragmentary nature of this specimen.

The good news is that all three are either currently considered junior synonyms (Drinker was combined into Nanosaurus agilis along with most of the other Morrison neornithischians in a recent review, and I'm not sure which name has priority but they've basically bitten the bullet and merged Opisthocoelicaudia with Nemegtosaurus) or are highly likely to be in the near future.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.