You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New discoveries and stupid news headlines

Started by Brocc21, November 11, 2018, 03:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

Does any one have an example of the news talking about new discoveries but very clearly not having a clue of what the saying. And I've also seen the news make prehistoric creatures really awesome bro. Any one else.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Well, there's lots of articles like that. I don't have any links but here are a few I remember (maybe you remember some too?)

There's a discovery of a stem-mammal from the Mesozoic which was described as a "new sabre-toothed cat" or similar.
There's of course the whole "T. rex definitely not at all feathered says archaeologists" style title after those minor scale/skin impressions.
Every time a new giant carnivorous therapod (or sometimes even crocodylyform) it gets called a close relative of T. rex.
Every time a new giant sauropod is discovered it gets called the biggest animal ever.
Lots of articles about dinosaurs discovered showing feathers, it often get ridiculed for being feathered by 'awesome bro' types.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

UtahraptorFan

Not so much in a headline - instead in the article text - one I just found keeps calling Dilong a tyrannosaurid. I was like, you're missing an 'o'; it's tyrannosauroid! Argh!

https://relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/science/2018/11/tyrannosaurus-rex-ancestor-s-shaped-brain-fossil-skull

Otherwise, it's about an interesting find.
Guide to whether I use suffixes in clade references:
-If it has the unaltered name of a member genus, even a nomen dubium, include it. Examples: Tyrannosaurid, Titanosaurian
-If it has the name of a genus + sauria, leave it off. Examples: Ornithomimosaur, Oviraptorosaur.
-If it's not named for a genus, leave it off. Examples: Genasaur, Gravisaur.
-Exceptions to the 3rd: Maniraptoran, Saur-/Ornithischian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.