News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zoids Wild (2018) prehistoric themed designs

Started by ITdactyl, June 29, 2018, 02:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

Sharing some renders and toy pictures of the prehistoric themed designs for the upcoming toyline, manga, anime and video game series "Zoids Wild".*

I know some members also have zoids in their collections - this should be of some interest.  I like that these show improvements over the older designs (though the Trike and the chicken raptor are just weird).  Despite the updates to the theropod designs though, they still opted to keep the bunny hands.  Ah well, can't have everything. ;D

Gilraptor

DeathRex

Grachios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIiq67RZCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASk48JezSuM

non of the images or videos above are from leaks.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Brachio is pretty cool and the Stego, bit iffy on the others.  I was a Zoids fan when it used to air on Toonami..lord I had so many of them.

Minmiminime

I used to love building the motorised ones as a kid, they were my favourite toys ever. I never understood why they weren't more popular! A few years ago I bought one, a Triceratops on eBay, to demonstrate them to my other half. I was surprised to find it wasn't motorised, but it's still pretty cool.

Unfortunately my cat took it upon herself to chew the ends of the horns off 😣
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

ITdactyl

Quote from: Minmiminime on June 29, 2018, 05:02:11 PM
I never understood why they weren't more popular!

My sentiments exactly.  Is it because the marketing is usually in anime format? (I don't know)  For toys that you have to build yourself, some had very good design and engineering.

Oh, and I'm sure your cat has made up for that misdemeanor with lots of affection.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , I remember seeing one of your recent photos that had a Gojulas Giga.  Do you still have that?

Minmiminime

She makes it up with endless entertainment value, she's a singularly hilarious animal 😊

Motorised Zoids were readily available in toy stores in the 80s and early 90s, but among my peers I was the only one who collected them, and I never saw the animated series. I've always been drawn to complex things (I loved Transformers, too) and found building them and seeing the end result of a really cool robot, that looked like a prehistoric animal, walking or creeping with tails and necks or wings or cannons in motion. Beautiful!

My favourite was a chrome and black Dimetrodon. I must make an effort to find it; hopefully it's in better working order than my poor "Ultrasauros"; this one suffered the unfortunate fate of my younger brother and sister falling on it during a playfight. Furthermore, my dad was a heavy smoker, so many of our childhood toys, whilst we generally looked after them well, have suffered a fair degree of discolouration!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

suspsy

Used to be a huge Zoids fan. Sold off most of them years ago, although I still have the Gojulas and the Geno Breaker lying around. These new designs look nifty!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 29, 2018, 05:35:04 PM
Quote from: Minmiminime on June 29, 2018, 05:02:11 PM
I never understood why they weren't more popular!

My sentiments exactly.  Is it because the marketing is usually in anime format? (I don't know)  For toys that you have to build yourself, some had very good design and engineering.

Oh, and I'm sure your cat has made up for that misdemeanor with lots of affection.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , I remember seeing one of your recent photos that had a Gojulas Giga.  Do you still have that?

Yeah I have him and the Bio Raptor along with the older Techno zoids Ultrasaurus version, i also had Mad Thunder until recently but its gone off to a new home now.

ITdactyl

avatar_suspsy @suspsy  the Gojulas is a classic - the design doesn't fit the modern age, but no one (who likes zoids) cares - he's awesome in any collection.

@blade, yeah Bio raptor does pack in a lot of character.  I envy you and Minmiminime for having an Ultrasaurus - that's one of the figures I've always wanted to get.

KeU

Oh wow!
I used to follow the Chaotic Century and Guardian Force animated series.
And had a Gojulas as a bday gift as well.
Sadly, I have no idea where it went. I think my parents gave it away.
Glad to see that Zoids as a franchise is still surviving.
Not too hot on the new designs though, prefer the classic zoid look.
Can't go wrong with a Shield Liger or Zaber Fang.
I remember those 2 were re-released as expert level kits.

ITdactyl

Yup, the Shield Liger and Zaber Fang were both released in the Masterpiece line around 2016.  They indeed look great - though I only collect the dinosaur/pterosaur themed zoids.

Sadly, non of the dinosaur prototypes for the masterpiece line made it to production though.

ITdactyl

This is the internal frame (unarmored) of the new Zoids Brachiosaurus (Wild Grachios)

*image from hanegaru:  http://hanegaru.main.jp/e018wildz_011.htm

It's weird that the Japanese designers for Zoids and Transformers (dinobots) just can't seem to let go of certain tropes (elephant feet or giant toes for sauropods, plantigrade feet and bunny hands for Theropods), but I do like that the designs are starting to look more like the "modern" renditions of dinosaurs.

Derek.McManus

I really loved the Zoids range that was released in the UK when I was a young teenager along with the Marvel comics tie in...I didn't realise at the time it was a rip on alien and terninator and other 80's movies

ITdactyl

Seems the Zoids Wild line was a hit with the audience/buyers; so much so that Tomy Takara continued the line and will start selling in the US and Europe in October.

And they're about to release this new pteranodon model that has 2 modes: Quadrupedal walking (no more recycled Rodan design) and a flying/flapping mode. How's that for progressive?

https://youtu.be/8mINVMuWHec

Kotori_Sonoda

Hasbro release, with painted/sculpted pilots!
From In Demand toys Facebook:

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

CityRaptor

The Hasbro versions are the ones with more paint? What is this? Bizarro World?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Kotori_Sonoda

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 08, 2019, 09:14:40 AM
The Hasbro versions are the ones with more paint? What is this? Bizarro World?

I didn't realize but there are mold changes between the JP and EN versions.
I felt a bit slow there since I have the Spideath and its one of my favorites yet I didn't immediately recognize the changes lol

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

EmperorDinobot

Zoids rise again!

I'd love to get my hands on these, but they changed the scale, and that really grinds my gears. I also don't...have space for them anymore.

ITdactyl

Zoids apparently have something to say about JP3 and a recent paper about a semi-aquatic theropod. ;D

ITdactyl

Some Japanese animators and writers seem heavily influenced by JP/W...

...In the Zoids universe...
After several episodes of fighting (where the rex won by TKO), a "Tyrannosaurus" and a "Spinosaurus" decides to team up...

...against a mutated "Giganotosaurus". 'nuff said.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.