News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tips for Saving Space

Started by Concavenator, May 11, 2022, 11:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I was thinking about ways to save space, and I have come up with a few, so I thought I'd share them.

Spoiler
Disclaimer: if, for some reason, you don't care about saving space, this may not interest you. Everyone is free to do what they want with their collection/s, it goes without saying. These are just tips / recommendations.
[close]

1. Don't be a completist, be selective with what you buy. Don't just buy every figure you come across.

2. Limit the collection to 1 figure / species. Or 1 figure / genus if you're very strict. If you find a version of a particular species or genus that you like more than another one currently present in your collection, get rid of the previous one.

3. If you don't care too much for a particular taxon, don't get figures of it, even if they're good.

4. Focus on quality over quantity. It's better to have few but high quality figures than having a lot of not so high-quality ones. If you buy a not so good figure of a certain taxon just because you're a big fan of it, but then a superior version is released, you might feel tempted to replace it (and maybe even will), so the former would've been in vain.

5. If you're not a fan of a certain group i.e. lambeosaurine hadrosaurids, but still want to have it represented in your collection, buy no more than 1 or a few. By doing that, you'll have more space for the groups you like.

6. If you clearly have space issues, give your collection purchases a break and invest in creating / solving the space issue. Buy some showcasers, cabinets, or shelves where you can now display your figures without worries for some time. Once you feel you solved this issue, resume collecting.

7. Set an established pace of collecting and try to follow it as rigorously as possible. So your purchases would be under control, and thereby your space as well.

8. Store or sell figures from your collection you no longer care about.

9. If there are 2 figures of a particular taxa you're interested in getting, and you consider both to be good, get the smaller figure.

10. Related to the previous point, only buy very large figures of taxa you really like. For example, if you love Torosaurus and prefer the BotM version to the PNSO, go get the BotM. But don't get the BotM Albertosaurus if it's not a genus you particularly love and if you also find the Safari version to be nice.

11. Use display risers (?). I don't use them at the moment, but afaik they're handy for maximizing shelf space.

This is everything that has come to my mind. Most if not all of these tips are very obvious, but maybe they're helpful to someone. Feel free to share some other tips you might think of.

Shonisaurus

I will take good advice into account, in fact I am already taking it into account, for example the PNSO tsintaosaurus will surely be the last tsintaosaurus I buy, I am not going to store the PNSO parasaurolophus in my case no matter how good it is, I am saturated Of space.

You save money and time on the purchase. Wise words.

Duna

Thank you! :) Those are very nice tips

Blade-of-the-Moon

Here's another, don't be an "in box" collector or keep the boxes from every, single, purchase.  ;)

Concavenator

I hope they are helpful!  :)

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 12, 2022, 04:30:44 PM
Here's another, don't be an "in box" collector or keep the boxes from every, single, purchase.  ;)

Ooh, you're very right in that one. I keep the PNSO / BotM boxes if they're helpful to ship stuff, but otherwise I have no interest in them, even if they're fancy. The collectable cards and that kind of stuff on the other hand I do keep.

Halichoeres

Was this supposed to be in "New for 2022?"
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2022, 04:50:25 PM
Was this supposed to be in "New for 2022?"

Oops, sorry, no it wasn't. My fault for creating it there. Hopefully someone will remove it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.