News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What would be the ultimate Dinosaur replica? Please comment to help me decide

Started by JurassicReplicas, January 28, 2019, 08:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JurassicReplicas

Hey guys,

I would like some help to decide what to design and 3D print next. Which dinosaur, which part, what size, what style...

Here are some of the areas that I would like to perfect

A. Is it better to have a skeleton, or the actual full dinosaur in the replica?

B. How the replica is used or displayed, is it better to have it on a base, with a hole to be hung,

C. What size would be best

D. Which part of the dinosaur

E. What time of surface effects?

F. Which Dinosaur?

BRONSON

Most important things for me now that I am looking what to buy, in order of importance.

1, Pose, so many superbly detailed models are let down by a bad pose,
2, Build quality, model must be well made, and well packaged, no faults or damage, and stand up without any faffing around on the consumers part, this problem puts me off a lot of models,
3, Realistic but still artistic, I like a mix of the two,
4, A scale that will match other popular models in peoples collections or a size that will wow as a standalone piece on its own,
5, Skeletons, try making a display of a fight between prey and predator skeletons, that would be nice, seen a real skeleton diorama in a museum done like that and it looked superb,
6, Dont go mad on feathers, unless they are preserved in an actual fossil, leave them out, they look ridiculous to me in dinos that there is no evidence to ever having them,
7, Choice of dinosaur, you choose what you think you can do best, do a mix of well known and lesser known, well known to earn your bread and butter, and make the rarer dinosaurs that less people might buy, but the established and more serious collectors would more appreciate, limited editions with a numbered cert in a smaller production run,
8, Finally a choice of colour schemes at their 'birth' , so many models have perfect poses, detail, and subject, only to be spoilt by a garish colour scheme or something that wont match with what you want to display it with, EG a red T rex fighting with an identical coloured/camoflaged triceratops would look odd.

These are just my opinions and wont be the opinions of all, and mainly what I look for in a model.

Halichoeres

Hi! Here are my answers:

A. I personally prefer fully fleshed-out animals.
B. If it's a quadrupedal animal, I don't think it needs a base. For a swimming or flying animal, I like a stand or base. For bipedal animals, I don't have a strong preference.
C. Depends. I like 1:40 for large animals, but for a small animal that is often impractical and a larger scale is appropriate.
D. Full body. I don't like busts, typically.
E. I prefer full color, but I am willing to paint a nice sculpt of an interesting animal.
F. I'm bored of the thirty or so most popular species. I like new, interesting species.

Others will differ!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Apart from the above, I like dinosaurs in general, especially carnivorous theropods without arms, jaws or other parts of the body articulated.

I like the non-removable bases and most importantly they are decorated as it happens with the bases of PNSO or even Vitae. Bases without decoration do not make me laugh. The non-removable and well-constructed bases prevent a theropod dinosaurs from falling and, most importantly, avoid the problem of making disproportionate feet that, without bases, have a very high percentage of falling.

Painting inside the realistic and without being too colorful or what I call painting of war. Elegant and simple colors. Paint resistant to abrasions and accidental blows (obviously if a child who plays with them do not expect there to be a "miracle" with the painting).

A detailed figure to the fullest. To me honestly I do not care as long as the copyright is obtained that the figure has inspirations of paleoartist works. It can also be a detailed but not hyperrealistic figure with certain touches of impressionism "esfumato" as I call it.

Eyes with well-centered irises and without being humanoid and childish.

That the figure is made of PVC or non-hollow resin and that it is hollow like vinyl, well sculpted and without seams.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.