You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Perhaps the Worst Article I've Ever Read

Started by Loon, February 23, 2019, 06:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I've read some terrible articles; but, this...makes me wish the internet was banned.

The 25 Worst Jurassic Park Action Figures Of All Time

I'm not surprised a website with "gamer" in its name puts out such filth.

MLMjp

Quote from: Loon on February 23, 2019, 06:36:41 PM
I've read some terrible articles; but, this...makes me wish the internet was banned.

Half of the stuff on that list deserves to be on that list.
But the Funko Pops? Those kenner figures?
What the hell?!
His motives for adding the funko pops are the most absurd ones I ever heard.
Also why is the Indominus rex the only Jurassic World toy by hasbro (apart form other things like that chopper) on the list? The bashers and bitters, the titan craptors, the chomping T.rex, the stomp and strike Tyrannosaurus, those hideous things are not even there!
And he dare to put the Ultimasaurus at number 1.

Brocc21

Ok! Yes some of the figures on here aren't amazing. BUT OH MY GOSH! This was the worst thing I've seen in a long time. I hope the writer gets hit on the face by a Dennis freicking Nedry.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

SBell

Quote from: MLMjp on February 23, 2019, 06:46:21 PM
Quote from: Loon on February 23, 2019, 06:36:41 PM

Half of the stuff on that list deserves to be on that list.
But the Funko Pops? Those kenner figures?
What the hell?!
His motives for adding the funko pops are the most absurd ones I ever heard.
Also why is the Indominus rex the only Jurassic World toy by hasbro (apart form other things like that chopper) on the list? The bashers and bitters, the titan craptors, the chomping T.rex, the stomp and strike Tyrannosaurus, those hideous things are not even there!
And he dare to put the Ultimasaurus at number 1.

My main issues are with the actual writing and editing quality. It was painful and pretty suspect in many spots. I personally agree with most of that list--let's be honest, most of the 'character' models were just generic buff dudes (including most Ellie Sattler figures). And Hasbro deserved the large number of spots on there (that Indominus? My son has it, and he hates it).

Some of them are fun, but as dino toys or representations from the movie...Chaos effect was a pretty obvious cash grab (that failed to do so).

Finally--the author is named Allison and is clearly female.

Loon

Quote from: SBell on February 23, 2019, 09:57:26 PM
In before someone makes a tired "assume their gender" joke.

But also, yeah, I agree, the writing was the worst part. The lack of research was very obvious though, like how could you not find  out that there was a normal Nedry pop, but still see the exclusives.

DragonRider02

... I Might have lost few brain cells during Reading this...

MLMjp

Quote from: Loon on February 23, 2019, 10:46:32 PM

But also, yeah, I agree, the writing was the worst part. The lack of research was very obvious though, like how could you not find  out that there was a normal Nedry pop, but still see the exclusives.

Ouch! :o
Then...She gave some of the worst motives I have heard and she dare to put the Ultimasaurus at number 1.

Does not matter which gender you are, if you say stupid stuff, you say say stupid stuff.

What is irritating is that she obvioulsy has no idea what she is talking about.

Im pretty sure anyone who is a fan of Jurassic Park could do a better job than her. Myself included.

SBell

Quote from: MLMjp on February 23, 2019, 11:32:27 PM
Quote from: Loon on February 23, 2019, 10:46:32 PM

Ouch! :o
Then...She gave some of the worst motives I have heard and she dare to put the Ultimasaurus at number 1.

Does not matter which gender you are, if you say stupid stuff, you say say stupid stuff.

What is irritating is that she obvioulsy has no idea what she is talking about.

Im pretty sure anyone who is a fan of Jurassic Park could do a better job than her. Myself included.

I find it funny how people are offended that the Ultimasaurus was her least favorite. It's not even part of the Jurassic Park movies and...it's kind of silly. And before anyone makes assumptions--I was there when JP was first released. I've been with this thing since it was just a book. But it's still important to realize that many of the toys were terrible (especially JPIII and JW)

CityRaptor

So she complains about JP Malcolm's action figure wearing sunglasses, but also complains about the CE versions lack of them. Case in point: Malcolm only wears them in JP.
Also in her little rant about the Estemmenosuchus, she seems oblivious to an actual flaw: the misassembled legs. And calls it and the Tany a Dinosaur.
She also seems to think that Dinosaurs can't be brightly colored.

Seriously, there are far worse JP/W action figures out there than some of those listed there. . 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shadowknight1

Personally...I think every single article calling out Alita Battle Angel for "sexualizing" a female character by giving her a female body is worse than this article.  There are some stinkers on there though.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Loon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 24, 2019, 12:40:22 AM
Personally...I think every single article calling out Alita Battle Angel for "sexualizing" a female character by giving her a female body is worse than this article.  There are some stinkers on there though.
There are much, much worse things to say about that junkheap of a movie.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Loon on February 24, 2019, 12:43:39 AM
There are much, much worse things to say about that junkheap of a movie.
That is an opinion you are having.  One that I do not agree with.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Brocc21

I was a bit harsh earlier. But she could have at least done research so she knew what she was talking about. And she seems to think a toy of an obscure animal is a bad thing? And I may just be thinking wrong, but she also seems to think not being able to pronounce Estemenosuchus is a negative.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Loon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 24, 2019, 01:04:38 AM
That is an opinion you are having.  One that I do not agree with.
Thanks for sharing :)

suspsy

I honestly see no point in taking offence at this article. It means nothing at all. I've seen plenty of similar ones ragging on Transformers toys or LEGO sets or Star Wars characters or whatever. Just frivolous pop culture drivel.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Such articles are nothing but clickbait fake feminism thrown out by idiots trying to co-opt leftist movements for attention. We need to reclaim our sexuality, not oppress it.

Quote from: suspsy on February 24, 2019, 01:14:01 AM
I honestly see no point in taking offence at this article. It means nothing at all. I've seen plenty of similar ones ragging on Transformers toys or LEGO sets or Star Wars characters or whatever. Just frivolous pop culture drivel.
True enough, it's just a generic article that some overworked reporter probably made to meet their quota of "X online articles per week" before being allowed to work on real stories. Though I would argue it's still worth complaining about articles like this, constructively of course, as it can help us to articulate our own understandings of these kinds of topics.

Faelrin

I scrolled through it, and honestly I learned of something today. I was not aware of that battle Malcolm (even though it wasn't made). I did get a good chuckle out of seeing it though.

Honestly though, I've seen far worse out there, and obviously I don't agree with all of it, but it's an opinion piece, which is subjective and does not require one to agree with it in the first place.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.