You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Three new mammal species from the Cayman Islands

Started by Logo7, March 10, 2019, 04:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A joint study of fossil collections in British and American museums by the Zoological Society of London, the American Museum of Natural History, and the New Mexico Museum of Natural History described three new species of mammal from fossils collected from caves, sinkholes, and peat deposits on the Cayman Islands between the 1930s and 1940s. The three mammals are part of the genera Capromys, Geocapromys, and Nesophontes respectively, with all three belonging to new species in these genera (C. pilorides lewisi, G. caymanensis, and N. hemicingulus respectively). While the genus Nesophontes is made up entirely of extinct genera, the other two new species belong to two genera of hutia that have extant members. The bones of all three species appear to show evidence that they were at some point consumed by crocodiles. It is believed that these mammals likely went extinct around the 1700s due to the arrival of European settlers and several species of introduced mammals, such as rats, cats, and dogs, on the Cayman Islands. Here is an image of the fossils of the new species of Capromys and Geocapromys and the paper describing these three new species.

Paper (open access!): http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/6928

Ravonium

Always good to see new extinct animals from the Holocene described  :)

Halichoeres

Thanks for posting! The pdf is freely available at the link you provided.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Logo7

It is? My computer couldn't open the link, so I guess I didn't realize it. I'll change that in the original post now.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.