You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

An African origin for the adzebills

Started by Logo7, April 14, 2019, 04:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new study analyzing recovered DNA from bone and eggshell fragments of both the North Island adzebill (Aptornis otidiformis) and the South Island adzebill (Aptornis defossor) has determined that the closest modern relative of these 19 kilogram predatory birds is the Madagascan flufftail (Sarothrura insularis), a bird that can weigh as little as 25 grams. It is theorized that the ancestors of the adzebills likely flew from Madagascar to New Zealand sometime between 40 and 22 million years ago, possibly through Antarctica, overturning the previous theory of their ancestors already being on New Zealand while it was still a part of Gondwana 52 million years ago and showcasing an even closer connection between Africa and New Zealand. Upon reaching the island, the adzebill ancestors increased more than 50-fold in mass and developed reduced wings and larger beaks to aid in their ground-based predatory lifestyle. It is believed that the adzebills then split into two species when the Manawatu Strait split New Zealand into the North and South Islands between 1 and 2 million years ago. Here is a reconstruction of a North Island adzebill and a drawing of a Madagascan flufftail for reference and a link to the paper published about the new study.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/11/2/24

Ravonium

Thanks for sharing this. Reminds me of how the ancestors of kiwis flew from Australia, except for the fact that this is an even more impressive migration for the birds to undertake  :)

Halichoeres

I propose that the clade composed of flufftails and adzebills is defined by the synapomorphy of "Having a delightful common name."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 15, 2019, 08:45:29 PM
I propose that the clade composed of flufftails and adzebills is defined by the synapomorphy of "Having a delightful common name."

Yeah, if you look at the more obscure groups of Gruiformes, I think you'll find that there are quite few 'delightful common names' (for example, there's such names as 'trumpeter', 'limpkin', and 'sungrebe', which itself is a type of 'finfoot' (not necessarily a delightful name, but it's at least fun to say))

Halichoeres

Um, excuse me, but "finfoot" is 100% a delightful name.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 16, 2019, 12:35:19 AM
Um, excuse me, but "finfoot" is 100% a delightful name.

I guess I stand corrected then  :P

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.