You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Permian-Triassic extinction recorded in Italian rocks

Started by Halichoeres, May 06, 2019, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Renato Posenato reviews the faunas of the Permian and Early Triassic as recorded in the Italian alps, which doesn't explain the cause, but shows a pretty good progression from Paleozoic faunas to the "disaster fauna," the depauperate, miniaturized community of marine invertebrates that persisted through the extinction event, to the eventual increase in diversity more than a million years later.

In this diagram he shows where particular taxa can be found, in layers of sediment that have been turned sideways by tectonic activity:

Open access in Bollettino della Società Paleontologica Italiana: http://paleoitalia.org/media/u/archives/03_Posenato_2019_BSPI_581.pdf
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures