News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A pachypleurosaur from Myanmar

Started by Halichoeres, May 07, 2019, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

The first vertebrate fossil known from the Triassic of Myanmar is this pachypleurosaur (a basal sauropterygian like Keichousaurus). The authors describe it in some detail, but they say they don't have enough data to conduct a phylogenetic analysis, so for now do not assign it a name. Nevertheless, it's likely to be a new species and perhaps a new genus.

One of the two specimens:

Open access in Acta Paleontologica Polonica: http://app.pan.pl/archive/published/app64/app005942019.pdf
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

I read the title very fast before and read pachycephalosaur, when I saw the picture I was like  :o that's no pachycephalosaur  :)) :)) It looks very complete but I guess they way it is preserved make difficult to get the data they need for the analysis.

DinoToyForum

What curious preservation.

Also, the 'L' shape kink in the neck is very common in pachypleurosaur fossils. I wonder why.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose S.M. on May 07, 2019, 06:18:27 PM
I read the title very fast before and read pachycephalosaur, when I saw the picture I was like  :o that's no pachycephalosaur  :)) :)) It looks very complete but I guess they way it is preserved make difficult to get the data they need for the analysis.

Ha, I could see that. A thick-sided lizard rather than a thick-headed one. Sorry to get your hopes up :)

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 07, 2019, 06:35:49 PM

Also, the 'L' shape kink in the neck is very common in pachypleurosaur fossils. I wonder why.

Maybe they had some muscle or ligament that in life helped with fast lateral strikes, which upon death torqued the neck to the side? Pure speculation.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 07, 2019, 11:54:41 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on May 07, 2019, 06:18:27 PM

Ha, I could see that. A thick-sided lizard rather than a thick-headed one. Sorry to get your hopes up :)

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 07, 2019, 06:35:49 PM

Maybe they had some muscle or ligament that in life helped with fast lateral strikes, which upon death torqued the neck to the side? Rampant speculation.

Could be!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.