News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Display with Base or without Base - That is the Question

Started by Andanna, May 21, 2019, 03:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andanna

Pros for having a base:
Increased stability of model
Creates context visually
Reminiscent of higher quality products (e.g; Sideshow)
Model might not stand at all without base and might need additional support

Cons using a base:
Base might look cheap
Base might distract from model
Base can take up additional space
Model does not fit on base seamlessly
If base is to house several models, the base limits display options and hence creativity
As not all models come with a base, there is inconsistency in the collection

What are your thoughts?

Shonisaurus

In part I like the figures with dinosaurs and prehistoric animals with base (especially if it is fixed) and is well decorated, for example Collecta has fixed bases and are poorly decorated for economic reasons (otherwise it would cost more) on the other hand PNSO has very beautiful as also happens with Vitae (giganotosaurus) but they are not fixed.

The ideal is a theropod that is well proportioned above all the hooves and does not have clown feet and that is not a tripod that is why a base is needed. The bad thing is that it occupies space, but I prefer a theropod with well-proportioned feet with a fixed base to be a theropod or a dinosaur with artificial feet that serve to prevent the figure from falling.

I am a supporter of prehistoric animals (on terĂ³podos) with fixed base and that this base is sculpturally a work of art although it costs more money. They occupy space but it is worth for example having carnivorous theropods with proportionate feet.

Libraraptor

I am pretty sure we already have a base discussion going on on the Forum.  But I  don't exactly know where.

Killekor

I personally like the presence of a base in a dinosaur toy only if it's removable; because I like both to keep it on the base and both to play with it posing it in front of other figures without a base.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

postsaurischian

I do not care. I have so many figures and models with or without base that it just doesn't matter anymore :-[ ;D .

PhilSauria

For my part I have no issues with bases, for me they do create more of the look of a high end figure as more often than not that's the presentation format for those, in fact I have even made bases for some of the figures that I have that didn't come with one in the first place.

Bases can be a necessity in the case of therapod Dinosaurs, aiding stability and preventing the need for the figure to be made with oversized feet just so it will stand up on its own, this is why I have made bases for some of mine - to keep them upright! Also I enjoy the process, though over the years my results have varied, but that's down to my artistic skills, or lack of. There are some very talented creators on the Forum who have done and continue to do some great work on creating mini environments for their prehistoric plastic presentations.

Halichoeres

This is definitely a recurring debate. My ideal is removable bases for bipeds, removable bases for flying and swimming animals, and no bases for quadrupeds, but I'm pretty tolerant of whatever solutions manufacturers decide on for stability's sake. It isn't a significant factor when I'm choosing whether to buy a particular figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Andanna

As summer (and higher temperatures and humidity) settles in at the US East Coast, i have come to the conclusion that the instability of some dinosaurs has certainly contributed to their extinction (Killer Queen, I am looking at you).  I am therefore starting to be partial to a base. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.