You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fossils of largest theropod to date found in Australia

Started by brontosauruschuck, January 19, 2020, 12:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-fossils-largest-theropod-date-australia.html

I was under the impression that the whole of Australia is in emergency-mode, but somehow some folks found time to find a big ol' terrible lizard. I'm glad there's some good news coming from down under!

suspsy

It would be great if if could be determined whether or not Australovenator and Rapator are one and the same.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

triceratops83

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on January 19, 2020, 12:17:50 AM
I was under the impression that the whole of Australia is in emergency-mode, but somehow some folks found time to find a big ol' terrible lizard. I'm glad there's some good news coming from down under!

Winton should be pretty safe from the bushfires - it's basically desert out there. But it'll be tough for the farmers there what with the
drought. Summer for the last couple of years here on the east coast starts with drought and bushfires, then moves straight into cyclones and floods.

Hopefully this find will add more to the appearance of Australovenator (I'm assuming that's what it is). Despite the well known paleoart there's not much material assigned to the holotype.

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

austrosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 19, 2020, 12:54:36 AM
It would be great if if could be determined whether or not Australovenator and Rapator are one and the same.

Quoted from Wikipedia:
QuoteWith the discovery of Australovenator, which had a similar metacarpal, Rapator was recognized as a probable megaraptoran. In fact, Australovenator and Rapator differ only in some small details of the bone and may be synonyms, though Agnolin and colleagues in 2010 considered Rapator a dubious genus (nomen dubium) due to its fragmentary nature.[7] However, White et al. found differences between the hand bone of Rapator and the equivalent bone of Australovenator, supporting the distinction between the two. They also noted that the two genera come from formations separated chronologically by about 10 million years, making them unlikely to be synonymous.[1]

Libraraptor

Okay, it´s about the biggest Australian theropod so far. The headline made me expect something else.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 01, 2020, 09:13:33 AM
Okay, it´s about the biggest Australian theropod so far. The headline made me expect something else.
Ha ha, I thought that too for a moment.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.