News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

First fossil trackway of a rhamphorhynchoid pterosaur

Started by Halichoeres, January 21, 2020, 12:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Cool new ichnofossils (dubbed Rhamphichnus) from the Upper Jurassic of France show how non-pterodactyloid pterosaurs held themselves on the ground. They mostly had their hands and feet directly beneath them, with most of the toes pointed forward, and their long hind toe rested on the ground. A nice illustration by Mark Witton accompanies the paper:

Paper (paywalled, but I'm happy to supply a pdf): https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0016699520300024
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Since there's been some discussion and request for an updated Rhamphorhynchus figure, it would be nice if it could be posed in such a manner based upon this finding. What a great find though, since I was wondering how these sorts of pterosaurs would have moved with such long toes.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

The new Caviramus is a little different from this, but the next big non-pterodactyloid pterosaur from CollectA will probably take this into account. Safari tends to produce flying pterosaurs (except the Pteranodon), which would also fine with me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

Great finds!  If a new Rhamphorhynchus model is made I would be happy for it to be either posed flying or not flying.

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 21, 2020, 02:58:52 PM
The new Caviramus is a little different from this, but the next big non-pterodactyloid pterosaur from CollectA will probably take this into account.

Perhaps the Caviramus could be interpreted as performing a mating or a threat display with its wings splayed out?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on January 21, 2020, 05:55:02 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 21, 2020, 02:58:52 PM
The new Caviramus is a little different from this, but the next big non-pterodactyloid pterosaur from CollectA will probably take this into account.

Perhaps the Caviramus could be interpreted as performing a mating or a threat display with its wings splayed out?

Sure, that works. I think the position of the right wrist is still hard to explain away, but I'm not really very concerned about it. There are very few Triassic pterosaurs available. Like, I have the Dinosaur Train Peteinosaurus in my collection, so I'm certainly not going to be too bothered by these things that Geiger couldn't have known when he sculpted his Caviramus.

ITdactyl

I'd buy that explanation - the Caviramus figure is frozen mid-scream, body raised on its digits/toes, tail raised high; works as a threat display.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.