You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Megafauna Central, Northern Territory (image heavy!)

Started by Lanthanotus, March 21, 2020, 09:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Over winter me and my wife and son travelled through Tasmania and continental Australia for the third time. While we did not make it to the Top End or Western Australia on this trip and visited several sites that we`ve been to before (in some cases several times before as the bigger part of Australia simply has not a lot of roads), we still "discovered" several new places. One of this was the Megafauna Central in Alice Spings, an "outpost" of the Museum and Art Gallery Northern Territory with its main stay in Darwin. If you are ever there, go see that museum, it is top notch.

Anyway, the Megafauna Central is a small, free entry museum dedicated to the Australian megafauna of the Miocene Era. So no dinosaurs if you do not want to count the birds. It is very informative and well done for its size and remoteness (though Alice is a main hub for tourism) and it is quite well hidden in the CBD of Alice Spings, so traffic there is quite....quiet. The museums shop had some nice offerings, especially in the books section, but unfortunately no figures of the exhibited megafauna. Sure there are not a lot around, but I gave the guy at the counter the address of Southlands Replicas, maybe they have some in the future.

If you are even more interested in Australian megafauna, have a look in this older thread.

Loon

That's a really nice museum, if I somehow ever get to Australia, I'll make sure to visit. Also, I was completely unfamiliar with any of the animals mentioned, sans the Thylacine or Diprotodon.

Hopefully, Southlands Replicas starts making figures again soon. I would love a Dromornis or a Baru from them.

suspsy

Cool museum, although that's the scrawniest-looking Diprotodon I've ever seen!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.