News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My JW Battle Damage Spinosaurus is losing its red fluid

Started by ItsTwentyBelow, September 03, 2021, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTwentyBelow

Hey all,

So, a few months ago I was handling my BD Spino, and realized that the "blood" level in its wound was a bit lower than in the stock images and original reviews of the figure. I shrugged it off.

Yesterday I was handling it again and noticed that the red fluid level is even a bit lower (maybe 1/3 lower than stock image overall) than it was a few months ago, which already seemed low. I turned the figure over and then noticed that there is actually a reddish, slightly wet stain present all along the underbelly seam where that red fluid has actually been leaking out! A bit of a bummer there, as this is one of my more prized JW figures. Luckily it isn't dripping everywhere, but I don't think there is any stopping it.

The figure has never been handled roughly, but I'm thinking back to my drafty 100+ year-old apartment at graduate school, where it may have gotten cold enough to freeze in there at times when I'd be gone for winter holidays. Ice forming in that fluid could have caused a leak by rupturing the plastic ball or opening a seam. My Spinosaurus was also just in 110 degree F weather in June for a few days at my newer place too, but there is no evidence of the fluid dripping onto its current shelf.

All I can think of for causes of this problem are temperature/pressure changes, so other BD Spino owners be aware of this. The bloody ball seems a bit sensitive.

I'm just going to have to accept that this is happening to mine, because I'd have to take it apart, which I am very reluctant to even THINK about doing, in order to even figure out where it is leaking to stop it. Pretty sure I'd end up breaking it.

This at least does not really compromise the jaw action or even the battle damage wound itself, but sheesh what a bummer. I'm recalling how the "blood" vial in my old Lost World Medical Center with Allosaurus set also dried up, probably while I was still a kid.

Does anyone else have a similar issue with their BD Spinosaurus? I guess if anyone at Mattel is reading this, please, NO MORE red fluid in future figures! It seems to be a point of failure.

CityRaptor

So one can say that the figure is bleeding out. Glad I skipped that one.

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on September 03, 2021, 05:26:34 PM
I guess if anyone at Mattel is reading this, please, NO MORE red fluid in future figures! It seems to be a point of failure.

Too late!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMMB-93qKsw

The warning might interest you, too.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 03, 2021, 06:28:23 PM
Glad I skipped that one.

So you saw one in person and decided to "skip" on it??

Yeah so it's basically just petroleum jelly. Mine doesn't belong to a kid and I'm not planning on eating the fluid, so mine certainly isn't going to be discarded. I'll just manage it.

Gwangi

That's discouraging. I bet someday those that still have fluid will be worth more. This reminds me of a DVD I bought many years ago, it was Ichi the Killer (a Japanese horror movie) and it came in a collectors "blood bag" that had red fluid in it too. Although I never witnessed it leaking all of the fluid is now gone from it.

ItsTwentyBelow

Now that sounds like an interesting collectible, Gwangi! Sorry it didn't last. I'm thinking twice about it the next time Mattel uses this play feature on an upcoming toy.

I would be interested to know if other owners of the old Kenner Allosaurus with Medical Center set could report on how the "blood" in theirs has fared over the years?

I bought my Spinosaurus in December 2019, so it was probably manufactured months before. Could just be the destiny of these figures over time. Ha, maybe some collector will have a YouTube video up in 15 years after they've all pretty much "bled out" about how best to delicately open up the BD Spinosaurus and refill/seal the battle damage wound for good.

CityRaptor

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on September 03, 2021, 06:59:41 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on September 03, 2021, 06:28:23 PM
Glad I skipped that one.

So you saw one in person and decided to "skip" on it??

Yep. In Germany it was available at Müller stores, like some other Battle Damage items. I skipped it due to several reasons:
-The way the battle damage was covered was rather flimsy looking.
-I only want one JW Spinosaurus, the most screen accurate one, not one that looks like TobaSpino. ( And a I like TobaSpino )
-Müller wanted 50 Euros for that figure
-I would have to transport it through public transit.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ItsTwentyBelow

Ah, all valid reasons!

In fact just the other day, I saw the newest Spinosaurus on the shelf and thought the same thing, I just want the one I have. Probably what prompted me to pull mine off the shelf. I like the real-feel, Kenner-esque skin covering the wound and the way you can pose other dinos as if they're ripping the skin flap off with their mouth.

suspsy

Toys with liquid in them always inevitably leak, sadly. That might explain why that Spinosaurus toy has not been repainted.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

Sorry to hear yours is suffering this fate, especially with such a rare figure. To be honest when it first released I worried about the longevity of it, if not at the very least due to eventual evaporation or whatever. To start leaking though is a fate worse then that.

I think I'll be sure to inform my collector pal in Germany about this as I believe he has one still. I nearly had one courtesy of him, but due to financial ruin from catching covid last November I requested he sell it to have the money go towards bills or food (along with the Battle Damage black raptor and brown Triceratops).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Faelrin on September 04, 2021, 01:11:09 AM
Sorry to hear yours is suffering this fate, especially with such a rare figure.

Yeah, thanks. While it was a kind of a shock to realize this was happening, now I know and I'm just looking at the bright side:

- I never was planning to sell it

- All functions work fine

- Still moves and displays perfectly well (I don't display it with the wound and bones hanging open...)

The fluid can be wiped away, leaves no permanent stains on the figure, in a few years it probably will be dry and then I guess the ball of guts just won't look as much like it's "sloshing" around when I press the button. Oh well, won't be the end of the world.