You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Just found my childhood collection! :)

Started by Duna, June 05, 2020, 05:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

My parents did not buy me any figures at that time, they were expensive. I did not bother my parents to buy me a lot of toys, I had very little toys and was happy with them. All of the figures (except the pteranodon) were given free with some food products: meat, yoghourt...
What my parents did buy me (in 1992, a year before JP) was the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs from David Norman, in Spanish edition, which had to be very expensive at that time and I was over the moon with it. It was a Christmas present, along with it came a UKRD 1992 Pteranodon. It was one of the best presents I've had ever. I keep it as a treasure. It was very scientific for a 10 year to read but I lost count of the times I read it from cover to cover. I loved it. It's full of errors and misconcepts and outdated reconstructions, but I still think it was a fabulous book at the time.

These UKRD from 1993 medium line were given free with sausages. I couldn't eat more sausages before the promotion ended, so I only got these 3. For me were the best in sculpt and colour. I complete all the collection about 3 years ago. Not only these 12, but also the small line, the large line, the museum line, the skeletons, the glow-in-the-dark versions, the poseables ... I have almost everything UKRD (1991-1993).

The apatosaurus was a chinasaur inspired in the Carnegie but larger. The hard plastic Tyrannosaurus came from a winning ticket in the supermarket. I was disappointed because I knew tyrannosaurus didn't have that look but it was quite large. In fact, the surprise come almost 30 years later, because I discovered that it was made from the famous and very rare (and insanely expensive) Spanish Jecsan molds. A very coveted collection from the 50s, probably one of the first fully coloured hard rubber dinosaur figures in the world. This tyrannosaurus and the triceratops, also, were recast in the 90s in hard plastic, but there were/are very few of them. I'm so proud to have 4 (two rexes and two triceratops, in all the different colours they were made).

Some of the minis of the right came inside Tombola surprise eggs (a Spanish brand similar to Kinder Surprise). The yellow and green minis came inside eggs from Dinosaurus (spelled like that) biscuits but were made by the Spanish Yolanda (now Comansi).
The itchyosaurus and cynognathus are from the Panini collection of 24. I managed to complete all the collections (Yolanda, Panini) three years ago.

The pteranodon was the present from my parents. The other two came as gifts from (I don't remember with which edible product, probably processed meat or Coca-cola) and were key chains, but I cut the chains and painted the missing mark.

These are from an official Jurassic Park collection given with Danone yoghourts, also in 1993. I was missing 4 of them: camptosaurus, pteranodon, triceratops and diplodocus (I couldn't eat as many yoghourts!) but I managed to complete the collection 3 years ago. And I got a bag of spare figures.

I'm so happy to have found my 27 year old figures, which are as perfect as if they have been made now. Hope my children would learn with them how were the dinosaurs thought to be represented when I was little.

Duna

rep

Libraraptor

Thanks for sharing this story.  Since I had a similar one,  I recommend keeping those figures as the core treasure of your collection!

P.S. I love the monochrome green theropod. Do you have any further information about it?

Halichoeres

Those are so great, I bet they bring back so many memories. I'm curious about that big sauropod, do you know anything more about it?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Honestly, Duna, those dinosaurs are worth much more than all the dinosaurs of known brands, I also have those dinosaurs until 1989, I did not have dinosaurs that we could say of quality until I bought those from Invicta, little by little and sincerely it is worth more than all the dinosaurs more. sophisticated of the best from the sentimental and above all moral point of view because they represent a time when finding dinosaurs was to find those figures that now for generations after mine mean chinasaurs or dinosaurs of the Middle Ages, without a doubt the collectors of the 70s and 80s generation gave more value to those insignificant dinosaur figures today (and I have already commented on it in other posts and I will continue to comment on it), we earned no money or very little money but the joy that the having those dinosaurs was much greater, at least for me, than today you can have any prehistoric animal I think that one can think of resin, vinyl or PVC, practically metaphorically speaking.

Duna

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 06, 2020, 12:08:17 AM
Honestly, Duna, those dinosaurs are worth much more than all the dinosaurs of known brands, I also have those dinosaurs until 1989, I did not have dinosaurs that we could say of quality until I bought those from Invicta, little by little and sincerely it is worth more than all the dinosaurs more. sophisticated of the best from the sentimental and above all moral point of view because they represent a time when finding dinosaurs was to find those figures that now for generations after mine mean chinasaurs or dinosaurs of the Middle Ages, without a doubt the collectors of the 70s and 80s generation gave more value to those insignificant dinosaur figures today (and I have already commented on it in other posts and I will continue to comment on it), we earned no money or very little money but the joy that the having those dinosaurs was much greater, at least for me, than today you can have any prehistoric animal I think that one can think of resin, vinyl or PVC, practically metaphorically speaking.
You are very right in all you said. Now I can buy myself almost any small figure I want, but the joy I got when I opened a new yoghourt package and found a new figure I hadn't was undescriptable. And I played years with them. I was so happy. My children can have now nearly a hundred quality figures to see (some to play but when they grow up). Even the most outdated and ugly figure now was like a piece of gold in our childhood. I can't believe it's almost 30 years.

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 05, 2020, 09:39:18 PM
Those are so great, I bet they bring back so many memories. I'm curious about that big sauropod, do you know anything more about it?
It's a chinasaur for sure. But it's very nicely sculpted, the detail of the belly is wonderful, very small round scales. My figures are at my parent's house (I only took the photos) and because of the confinament, we still can't go there. I'll took more pictures next month.

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 05, 2020, 08:33:38 PM
Thanks for sharing this story.  Since I had a similar one,  I recommend keeping those figures as the core treasure of your collection!

P.S. I love the monochrome green theropod. Do you have any further information about it?
I got it in a winning ticket at the supermarket, all I remember is it was called (you have won a gigantic dinosaur). I don't know the rest of the collection, but it's very original. It's made of hard plastic and it has a very nice retro head sculpt. I'll took more pictures next month, since I can't go there because of the confinament.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.