News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Williamsonia plants

Started by Jiminy350, March 12, 2024, 06:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiminy350

I wanted to have some plants among the figures on my shelves so they would at least have some semblance of an environment around them. ^-^

Since all my figures are in 1/35 scale (or at least close enough), I decided to make some Williamsonia plants in the same scale. I made three plants, the largest would have been the about the maximum size estimated. I've included a pic of the PNSO Allosaurus for comparison.

Large Williamsonia 2.jpg
Allosaurus Williamsonia 2.jpg
3 Williamsonia plants 2.jpg

Halichoeres

Those are fantastic! I love the little beards of dead leaves. The Washingtonia palms where I grew up would accumulate those, too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blackdanter

Those look great. Very well done, they should complement your figures nicely.

DinoToyForum

Jiminy350

Thanks, everyone. They were tedious, but I'm happy the way they turned out. I'm anxious to create a different plant now to add variety. Haven't decided what the next plant will be.

Justin_

What did you make them from?

edu

Incredible job, they look superprofessional!

SidB

Totoro

These are wonderful J @Jiminy350!  I'll be watching for more from you, and would enjoy hearing more about how you created these, if you're so inclined to share that.  ;)   
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Jiminy350

Quote from: Totoro on March 13, 2024, 06:36:00 PMThese are wonderful J @Jiminy350!  I'll be watching for more from you, and would enjoy hearing more about how you created these, if you're so inclined to share that.  ;) 

Thanks, everyone!
These weren't hard to make; it was just tedious. I had to make quite a few more leaves than you would expect!

I designed everything for 1/35 scale. I drew a leaf and duplicated it multiple time and in three different sizes using PhotoElements (I'm still using version 2 !! ^-^  ). Then I printed them on regular paper, airbrushed both sides of the paper, cut them out with an X-acto blade, glued them to floral wire with CA glue. in my attached photo you can see the different sized leaves drying and one plant with the first crown of leaves glued in in the background. You can see the other trunks in the background also, waiting their turn for getting leaves.

For the "trunks" I started with pieces of sticks the lengths I wanted and shaped them taking advantage of where the existing branches grew out where I wanted stalks to branch out on my plants. I glued a piece of a nail in the bottom so I could use that to mount it later in the base.

I covered the sticks with a thin layer of Sculpey, sliced spiral slices around them to duplicate the pattern on the plants, then baked them in the oven to cure. I then painted them and drilled holes in the end of each stem in which to glue the leaves.

I curled the leaves and glued the leaves into the stalk end holes I'd drilled, with the longest leaves on the outside graduating to smaller length leaves toward the middle of each crown, and also using smaller length leaves on the younger plants. I painted extra leaves brown and yellow and inserted them in a few places to indicate dying leaves or ones that had dropped off the plant.

I mounted the plants on pieces of model plastic that I'd previously cut to shape and sanded to remove the thick edges. Then I covered the base with Golden Course Pumice Gel. You can get this at artist supply stores. It's used to create a textured base for paintings. It comes in fine and course. I think the both course or fine would work great for 1/35 scale figures. These come gray, but you can also color then with acrylics since the gel is acrylic.

That's all there is to it.
Making Williamsonia fronds small.jpg

irimali

These look amazing!  I think the long hours were definitely worth it :)

SidB

If you could contrive ways and means to more rapidly mass produce these, there may well be a market out there for them. I'd sure buy some.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.