News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Today is a very exciting day for me.

Started by brontosauruschuck, October 13, 2020, 08:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

Why? Because I found a bunch of prehistory books that I had when I was a kid that I thought I'd lost forever.

brontosauruschuck

ceratopsian

Dinoxels

Cool! I also have a bunch of books from my childhood.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shonisaurus

I'm happy for you to rediscover the memories of childhood is something exciting, especially when you are a follower / fan of prehistoric life and dinosaurs. My congratulations.

SidB

Libraraptor

Enjoy! Thanks for sharing this! Keep them like treasures :))

Andanna

You should have waited with that discovery until you are in your eighties. That would have been more fun.

WAIT:  I trust you are not (yet) in your eighties.

Faelrin

Congrats on finding those again, and that you did not lose them. They certainly look like interesting reads as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

That's awesome ngl. I was forced to donate my dinosaurs and dinosaur books when I was 11 by some friends of the family because I was getting too old for them and someone else should get the opportunity to have them too.

I regret it to this day. Makes me feel good that you found something like that though!

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on October 16, 2020, 05:09:28 AM
That's awesome ngl. I was forced to donate my dinosaurs and dinosaur books when I was 11 by some friends of the family because I was getting too old for them and someone else should get the opportunity to have them too.

I regret it to this day. Makes me feel good that you found something like that though!
Ditto, expect i was 9

SidB

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on October 16, 2020, 05:09:28 AM

Once again, even on a small, personal scale, it goes to show that you can't force virtue or morality on anyone at anytime. There's always a price to pay for coercion and arbitrarily imposing judgements on people.  I remember our father mentioning that when he returned from Europe in 1945, his aunts had thrown out all of his childhood toys. He had felt that part of his life had been cut off at the roots.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: SidB on October 16, 2020, 01:14:16 PM
Once again, even on a small, personal scale, it goes to show that you can't force virtue or morality on anyone at anytime. There's always a price to pay for coercion and arbitrarily imposing judgements on people.  I remember our father mentioning that when he returned from Europe in 1945, his aunts had thrown out all of his childhood toys. He had felt that part of his life had been cut off at the roots.
Thats just feels sad. Imagine you did hard work away from your home and childhood, only to realize one of them is gone forever. And this was a time when collecting wasnt a everyday thing(correct me if im wrong)

ceratopsian

My mother didn't even ask me if she could send my old books to a jumble sale.  When she thought I was too old for them - I guess around ten - she sent my beloved annual of "Champion the Wonder Horse" and various other items without even telling me she'd done it.  I was heartbroken when I discovered a couple of weeks later. She claimed that it was too late to get them back.  It still rankles 50 years on.  I never had quite the same level of trust in her after that incident.  I have a very strong suspicion that three dinosaur kits my father had made up for me went the same way. The same thing certainly happened at some later point to some dinosaur books I had - they were beautifully illustrated too.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 16, 2020, 04:25:34 PM
My mother didn't even ask me if she could send my old books to a jumble sale.  When she thought I was too old for them - I guess around ten - she sent my beloved annual of "Champion the Wonder Horse" and various other items without even telling me she'd done it.  I was heartbroken when I discovered a couple of weeks later. She claimed that it was too late to get them back.  It still rankles 50 years on.  I never had quite the same level of trust in her after that incident.  I have a very strong suspicion that three dinosaur kits my father had made up for me went the same way. The same thing certainly happened at some later point to some dinosaur books I had - they were beautifully illustrated too.
I felt the same way for my mother when she took them away, but i realised she just wanted to help me(and some poor kids). The rather horrifying fact is that i became excelling smart only after she donated them(but thats was like almost one year after.  Thats why i still love her very much.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 16, 2020, 04:25:34 PM

That's such a bummer! In a variation on this with a similar outcome (loss of trust), when I was 11 or 12 my mother made me burn my small comic book collection (mostly X-Men, Batman, and the like) because she was convinced that my owning them was inviting literal demons into our home.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brontosauruschuck

Yikes! I didn't mean to stir up so many bad memories for everyone! Condolences on everyone who lost stuff they loved from childhood.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on October 18, 2020, 07:52:17 PM
Yikes! I didn't mean to stir up so many bad memories for everyone! Condolences on everyone who lost stuff they loved from childhood.
Its almost kinda ironic how a happy discovery caused bad memories for everyone else.
Just to be a little closer to the topic, i remember when i found my Safari Dunkleosteus(which was at the time, the only non bootleg i owned) which i thought was gone forever.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.