You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kataigidodon, a new cynodont from Arizona, USA

Started by Halichoeres, November 11, 2020, 11:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Meet Kataigidodon venetus, the name means "blue thunderstorm-tooth" in a mixture of Greek and Latin, after a place called Thunderstorm Ridge and the Blue Mesa geological member where it was found. It comes from Petrified Forest National Park in northern Arizona, part of an interesting Upper Triassic ecosystem (223-220 million years ago).

The material is pretty scrappy, not as nice as the Nshimbodon that was just published from Zambia. But these fragments of jawbone are enough to know that eucynodonts were present in this environment.

Paper (paywall): https://doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2020.0631
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Score!

It's curious how rare and scrappy cynodont fossils are in the North American Upper Triassic - but widespread. There's Pachygenelus from the Dockum, Redondagnathus from the uppermost Chinle, Arctotraversodon from the Wolfville, a handful of dromatheriids from the Chatham Group - all fragmentary and most very rare. I wonder if cynodonts were inhabiting undersampled habitats.

Still waiting on the Petrified Forest azendohsaur to be published. That ecosystem was just crazy diverse!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's an interesting discovery, nice name too. How far into the Upper Triassic was this one roughly?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Newt

The Blue Mesa Member is considered early-to-mid Norian, part of the Adamanian land vertebrate "faunachron". This animal would have been more or less contemporaneous with Postosuchus, Placerias, Poposaurus, Shuvosaurus, Trilophosaurus, Vancleavea, the aetosaurs Desmatosuchus and Tecovasuchus, the phytosaurs Smilosuchus and Machaeroprosopus, the dinosauromorph Dromomeron, the basal theropod Chindesaurus, and the coelophysoid Camposaurus. It predates the famous Ghost Ranch Coelophysis Quarry.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on November 12, 2020, 12:10:30 AM

Still waiting on the Petrified Forest azendohsaur to be published. That ecosystem was just crazy diverse!

I didn't know there was one! That's excellent news, I'll be on the lookout.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 13, 2020, 10:19:23 PM
Quote from: Newt on November 12, 2020, 12:10:30 AM

I didn't know there was one! That's excellent news, I'll be on the lookout.

I got to visit Petrified Forest last year. A fossil preparator at the museum there was working on it; she said it would be published soon. That's all I know!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.