You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New species of Australian pterosaur described, largest so far

Started by Psittacoraptor, August 10, 2021, 01:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psittacoraptor

For some reason, this is popping up on many regular news sites.

According to the authors, the fossil record of pterosaurs in Australia is poor - Thapunngaka shawi from the Lower Cretaceous is only the fourth named pterosaur found in Australia. It is the largest thus far, with an estimated wing span of 7 m. It's a very incomplete fossil but interesting nonetheless. Paper here (free access):

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2021.1946068

and the news page of the university (with the usual hyperbole - "fearsome dragon", "savage beast" ;D)

https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2021/07/researchers-find-fearsome-dragon%E2%80%99-soared-over-outback-queensland

ITdactyl

'A bit funny that most of the articles are using this stock image. It seems no artist was contacted in producing a life reconstruction.

Size comparison between "Spear mouth" and other Australian pterosaurs.

Tom Parker shared this reconstruction on Twitter; highlighting the fossils of these animals. I wonder how long these 3 will be considered separate species.

austrosaurus

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 10, 2021, 05:46:03 PM
Tom Parker shared this reconstruction on Twitter; highlighting the fossils of these animals. I wonder how long these 3 will be considered separate species.

Ferrodraco at least is a distinct genus given it's ~20 million years younger than the other two, but there's practically no overlap between Mythunga and Thapunngaka. The three species do clade together in the cladistic analysis published in this paper, and Ferrodraco & Mythunga have been sister species in the last few papers published.

Halichoeres

Cool, thanks for posting. I always like to see new pterosaur material, even if it's pretty busted up.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.