You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Xenodens calminechari: Strange Toothed mosasaurine from Morocco

Started by TethysaurusUK, January 16, 2021, 08:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TethysaurusUK

This is one of the most bizarre mosasaur taxa I have ever seen. The recurved, saw-like teeth to me seem like that of the contemporaneous Squalicorax (possible competition/niche overlap). One unique aspect of this study that I don't want to be overlooked is the affiliation with Carinodens(a small, durophagous mosasaur, found in the same assemblage), a number of characteristics indicate that Carinodens and Xenodensshould be grouped together in the Mosasaurinae. Thus, complicating the already unstable status of Globidensini that was illustrated in LeBlanc et al. (2012) and was further expanded upon by Lively (2020). The homoplastic nature of the Globidensini is slowly causing it to unravel. Ecologically, Xenodens may have filled the mosasaur-equivalent of a dogfish and may have fed on small, soft prey items along with scavenging on larger carcasses (maybe the clean-up crew of the Moroccan phosphatic deposits).

Loon

Those are some very neat teeth. I'm not familiar with mosasaur anatomy really, but I can right away see what you're talking about.

Halichoeres

If it has saw teeth I propose it was xylophagous. It probably digested the lignin with the help of a termite colony residing in its small intestine. I won't hear any other hypotheses.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Neat! Mosasaurs got up to some interesting stuff in their brief existence. I've been guilty of thinking of them as being much more homogenous than ichthyosaurs or plesiosaurs, but they were more varied than I have given them credit for.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - that's preposterous. As saltwater animals, they obviously would have used shipworms as their intestinal symbiotes.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on January 17, 2021, 03:16:57 AM

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - that's preposterous. As saltwater animals, they obviously would have used shipworms as their intestinal symbiotes.

Balderdash. If they were primitively marine, that might make sense. Need I remind you that lizards have terrestrial origins? The termites accompanied them into the sea, clearly.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.