News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bullyland Prehistoric Age Display?

Started by Ostafrikasaurus, September 09, 2020, 05:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostafrikasaurus

A few days ago, I came across this image of Bullyland's Prehistoric Age series on "Dinosaur Collector Site A", and I was wondering if anyone has more information about the display mountain that the figures are standing on. Specifically, does anyone have more pictures of it and has anyone ever seen one go up for sale? I have some figures from the Prehistoric Age series, and, if possible, I'd like to find one so I can properly display them. I assume the mountain was a dealer-exclusive product, much like the Carnegie mountain, but I cannot seem to find any information about it besides this photograph. However, I do remember seeing one (with the figures on it) at a Books-a-million bookstore in 1999 or so.

"Live fast, eat grass, die in a blast." - Late Cretaceous herbivore

Halichoeres

Welcome to the forum, avatar_Ostafrikasaurus @Ostafrikasaurus! I've never seen one of these Bullyland displays myself, but I imagine they'd be a lot more common in Europe than in the States.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ostafrikasaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2020, 09:21:55 PM
Welcome to the forum, avatar_Ostafrikasaurus @Ostafrikasaurus! I've never seen one of these Bullyland displays myself, but I imagine they'd be a lot more common in Europe than in the States.

Thank you for the welcome! I recently rekindled my old love for dinosaur/megafauna figures and books, and I thought this would be the perfect place to see what's happening in the world of prehistoric collectibles.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Ostafrikasaurus @Ostafrikasaurus My welcome, enjoy the forum and hope you find the Bullyland display mountain.

Ostafrikasaurus

Thanks!  ^-^ Finding a display would give me a proper place to put my Bullyland figures, which are currently sitting on a bookshelf. It's currently a small collection (only five figures), but I'm proud of it. They are as follows:

1.Woolly Mammoth
2.Smilodon
3.Eusmilus
4.Cave Bear
5.Diatryma

I got all of them from DeJankins, as well as an original series pamphlet, because why not?

Libraraptor

First off  Hello and welcome to the Forum!
You have come to right place here tp celebrate your redisiscovered passion.

Wow, I have never seen this Bullyland mountain before!  Very interesting!

Bokisaurus

Welcome! Yes, that looks like those dealer provided display for their figures much like the old Carnegie mountain. Its rare to see a Bullyland one, but if I remember correctly, Bullyland and Safari had an early relationship, perhaps this one was from a much earlier time than the Carnegie one.
It would be interesting to know its history, maybe avatar_DC @DC  would know?

Dinoguy2

Dinosauriana includes this same photo but no further information about the display unfortunately. Curious to see what people dig up. If it's specific to this Cenozoic animal series, I would assume it's from around that time? That would place it around 1998. I wonder if any of the catalog scans at the STS forum might she'd more light on it.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

DC

Safari was first and Forest Rogers mother designed it. The bullyland came later when they started following the Safari lead. Bullyland was better at making figures than selling them.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Ostafrikasaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 11, 2020, 07:32:49 PM
Dinosauriana includes this same photo but no further information about the display unfortunately. Curious to see what people dig up. If it's specific to this Cenozoic animal series, I would assume it's from around that time? That would place it around 1998. I wonder if any of the catalog scans at the STS forum might she'd more light on it.

Is Dinosauriana still in print? I remember seeing a link to an online version of the book somewhere at one point, but I held off buying it because I prefer actual, physical books if I can find them. But you're right, 1998 would be exactly the right time, because it was about 1999 when I saw one of them in person. Also, if I may be so newbish to ask, what is the STS forum?

Ostafrikasaurus

All right, I did some more research into catalog scans (thanks to Dinoguy2 for the idea) and actually managed to find another image of the Bullyland display mountain, as well as a little more information about it. I used the following website: https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/Catalogues-and-Collectors-Guides-for-Download.html and found the new picture of the display mountain in the "Bullyland Complete Catalog" for 2003, page 102 to be specific.

The official title of the product is "Prehistoric Landscape" and its product number is listed as 58005. According to the catalog, this "Prehistoric Landscape" came with 30 figurines. Given that there were only 14 animals and 5-6 human figures originally produced for this series, this reinforces my suspicion that the product was intended to be a dealer item. This conclusion is further substantiated by the presence of a series pamphlet holder on the side of the display, much like the Carnegie mountain.

One final thing I found interesting is the picture of the display itself. Since neither the Smilodon nor the Gomphotherium are present on the display, and since both of them were released in 1999, this leads me to believe that this picture was taken in 1998, when the series debuted. Couple that with the picture's presence in a 2003 catalog, and we now have a tentative timeframe for when this product was produced: 1998-2003.

In the words of Kronk: Oh yeah, it's all coming together!

Libraraptor

Interesting information on that item.  I guess it is pretty rare.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ostafrikasaurus on September 12, 2020, 03:46:50 AM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 11, 2020, 07:32:49 PM

Is Dinosauriana still in print? I remember seeing a link to an online version of the book somewhere at one point, but I held off buying it because I prefer actual, physical books if I can find them. But you're right, 1998 would be exactly the right time, because it was about 1999 when I saw one of them in person. Also, if I may be so newbish to ask, what is the STS forum?

I couldn't find Dinosauriana in print anywhere, I only have the digital version. STS forum is this place: https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/
They have sub boards for most companies and a lot of them have threads for posting pics of catalog scans.

Quote from: DC on September 11, 2020, 09:43:05 PM
Safari was first and Forest Rogers mother designed it. The bullyland came later when they started following the Safari lead. Bullyland was better at making figures than selling them.
Do you have more info about this avatar_DC @DC ? I hadn't heard that Rogers' mother specifically designed the mountain, though it makes sense given she was employed at the same art studio as the original mold maker for Carnegie dinosaurs.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ostafrikasaurus

I've been doing a little more research on the display mountain in my spare time (while waiting patiently for an order from sandspielfiguren  ;)), and I came across two entries on Worthpoint that detail two separate occasions when a display mountain has appeared for sale in the past. Both were sold on ebay, one in 2008 and the other in 2018. Since I don't have an account on that site, I wasn't able to see how much they sold for; however, I was able to get a few good pictures. The links to the two entries are as follows:

2008 link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dinosaur-prehistoric-world-complete-bullyland
2018 link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/bullyland-prehistoric-animals-mammals-1961636460

And here are the pictures. First, the mountain sold in 2008:

Ostafrikasaurus

Next, the mountain that was sold in 2018:

One final interesting thing I noticed is that the Eusmilus in the 2008 entry is gray. Now, I know the Woolly Mammoth and Andrewsarchus have each seen at least one color variant over the years, but I've never heard about a gray Eusmilus. Any ideas?

Varanops

Some years ago, a hobby store in Las Vegas, Nevada, possibly now out of business, I think, called Triceratops Hill(s) Ranch or something similar, had the mountain, cavemen, and mammals in a package deal for around two hundred dollars, if my memory serves.  It listed as "last (one) in stock" and lasted through two or three of their price lists before someone bought it (them).  I committed the sin of covetousness and drooled a lot, but didn't have enough in the ol' piggy bank to swing the transaction while the group was available there.  It took me years afterward to accumulate the entire Bullyland Prehistoric Mammal set (the Neanderthal fire pit/mammoth tusk and Andrewsarchus proved the most difficult to pin down), but I never saw the mountain come up for sale again.

stoneage

:)  When I first started buying Bullyland figures at a Toyology store in Sarasota, Florida I saw the mountain.  After a few years the store closed.  I've don't remember it ever being for sale.  There is an also an Invicta Mountain.

Wallnut

The mountain is retired in 2005  but probably it realesed with the first wawe of the prehistoric world line in 1998 when I opened a bullyland 2005 catalog it wasn't in the catalog so this display mountain is retired for 16 years.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.