News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which large Apatosaurus should I get?

Started by Gothmog the Baryonyx, January 25, 2021, 11:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I have been thinking recently about getting a big Apatosaurus for my collection, and am debating between  the old Carnegie and the Nammu. I wouldn't normally pose something like that, but I'm constantly back and forthing and partially I just want somewhere to out down my thoughts, and Facebook certainly wont do. Its filled with people who hate accurate dinosaurs.

Reasons to choose Nanmu
It's more accurate in feet and pose
It looks higher quality
Its huge
Theres a brown one so I don't have all my biggest sauropods being green until the Giraffatitan arrives.

Reasons to choose Carnegie
It can definitely fit on my display board whereas I think the Namnu might be pushing it
It is a lovely retro look and I do have the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus it can partner with.
I like the company a lot more.
If I buy quickly there's one in the UK in a bundle for a nice price.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Lynx

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 25, 2021, 11:01:57 PM
I have been thinking recently about getting a big Apatosaurus for my collection, and am debating between  the old Carnegie and the Nammu. I wouldn't normally pose something like that, but I'm constantly back and forthing and partially I just want somewhere to out down my thoughts, and Facebook certainly wont do. Its filled with people who hate accurate dinosaurs.

Reasons to choose Nanmu
It's more accurate in feet and pose
It looks higher quality
Its huge
Theres a brown one so I don't have all my biggest sauropods being green until the Giraffatitan arrives.

Reasons to choose Carnegie
It can definitely fit on my display board whereas I think the Namnu might be pushing it
It is a lovely retro look and I do have the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus it can partner with.
I like the company a lot more.
If I buy quickly there's one in the UK in a bundle for a nice price.

If you have cash to burn I recommend getting the Nanmu as it just looks better on display and is more accurate. However if you want to save you're wallet you should buy the carnegie one. The main problem with it is quality but if you give it a repaint that problems fixed.
An oversized house cat.

laticauda

I would vote for the Nanmu as I think it looks a lot better than the old Carnegie but it always comes down to taste and budget.  Go with the one that suits your situation the best. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nanmu is detailed, but a bit off from accurate.  Head is oversized for the body, because the head/neck/body is a mashup of the Sideshow statue ( scientifically accurate), Jurassic World ( film accurate).

Carnegie is retro-accurate and big and heavy. 

Honestly if your looking for a big accurate sauropod try the PNSO Huangatitan.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The PNSO Huanghetitan is out because 1. Its bigger than 1:20 scale and I'm looking for 1:30 at biggest to 1:50 at smallest, preferably around the 1:35 to 1:40 scale. And 2. Because Everything Dinosaur sold their last one so it would be back to aliexpress, though I may end up doing that to get the Shantungosaurus at some point.

Thanks all
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Wallnut

Buy the carnegie one if you can display with its baby and the original brachiosaurus but Nanmu is more accurate.

Dinoguy2

I like both in different ways. I love the Carnegie, it's certainly very retro but in a classic way especially if you can find one in the original Knight/Burian/Zallinger style colors. Nanmu is good, insofar as it's a budget version of the amazing Sideshow maquette.

If you do go with Carnegie make sure you're getting the original sculpt. The 1992 version made it a lot chunkier in a bad way and basically obliterated all the original texture/detailing, while the 1996 version has nicer detailing it's also smaller and lighter so a little less impressive. (The original ones come in both color schemes but all have "Miami, FL" printed on the bottom).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

JohannesB

Since I only own one of the two - namely the Nanmu - I can only say that I like that figure very much, but I am not able to recommend it over the Carnegie.

As a sidenote, I would like to mention that I own the 2008(?) Apatosaurus (the big, "lavender"-coloured one), and it may well be my favorite. It has charm and it is nice and chunky and big and heavy.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you everyone, I have just ordered the Nanmu Apatosaurus from Everything Dinosaur.
If I change my mind later I don't think it will be too hard to offload this or pick if Carnegie. And if Eofauna does an Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus that will replace the Namnu too. (It would also replace one of my smaller figures too if they did that)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 26, 2021, 08:19:34 AM
The PNSO Huanghetitan is out because 1. Its bigger than 1:20 scale and I'm looking for 1:30 at biggest to 1:50 at smallest, preferably around the 1:35 to 1:40 scale. And 2. Because Everything Dinosaur sold their last one so it would be back to aliexpress, though I may end up doing that to get the Shantungosaurus at some point.

Thanks all

FWIW, both the Papo and Safari 2010 Apatosaurus figures are larger than 1:50.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures