News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best Dimetrodon? Safari vs. CollectA

Started by Loon, February 15, 2021, 10:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

So, I've been redoing my Paleozoic display, and I'm just not quite sure whether or not to keep my CollectA Dimetrodon.

It seems to have a few issues when compared to Scott Hartman's updated skeletal. I'm not an expert, but I believe the sail's wrong.

Credit: Scott Hartman

I've been considering replacing it with the Safari figure, but I'm still not sure how much better it is, I can't really make out the indent around the pelvis, and I'm not sure if the sail is 100% right.

Credit: Safari

I prefer the more active look of the CollectA, but I'd rather have the most accurate figure, overall.

Credit: CollectA

So, I want to know what you all think. I'm not particularly concerned with the aesthetics, either is just fine in that department, but more so how well they convey all the recent research.

Lynx

I would stick with the CollectA dimetrodon. It's more accurate then the Safari one sail wise.
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

Please don't take the degree of soft tissue on Hartman's skeletals to heart.

The CollectA with its more upright posture and tail probably wins out on accuracy, but both have issues. While the tips of the spines likely weren't covered by the sail they certainly shouldn't be exposed bone like that either.

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 16, 2021, 05:30:57 PM

The CollectA with its more upright posture and tail probably wins out on accuracy, but both have issues. While the tips of the spines likely weren't covered by the sail they certainly shouldn't be exposed bone like that either.

Yeah, I've always hear his soft tissue application was a bit conservative. I've been kind of confused by the spines sticking out of the sail. Would they be covered in skin or some sort of keratin sheath? I can't find any good references for this.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on February 16, 2021, 06:33:07 PM

Yeah, I've always hear his soft tissue application was a bit conservative. I've been kind of confused by the spines sticking out of the sail. Would they be covered in skin or some sort of keratin sheath? I can't find any good references for this.
Just skin. Possible scarred and healed over from the sail tearing.

Loon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 16, 2021, 07:07:05 PM
Quote from: Loon on February 16, 2021, 06:33:07 PM

Just skin. Possible scarred and healed over from the sail tearing.

Thanks, I've been looking for some clarification. I plan on get this figure customized at some point, so that'll be an easy fix.

Dinoguy2

They both have their issues. I think the sails on both are likely inaccurate in different ways - in fact I'd probably give a slight edge to Safari for being a little more ambiguous (and keeping in mind that there is a ton of individual variation between sails of different specimens that 1 skeletal is not going to properly capture). Collecta wins on limb posture and proportions but Safari wins on overall torso shape I think. I'm not sure if the hip kink was well known when either of these models were made, but Safari's looks like it could more plausibly have that.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stoneage

I'd go with the Safari.  It's slightly better and about $5.00 cheaper.

Lynx

If you are looking for something accurate to the skeletal, I would go with CollectA. However if you prefer looks over how accurate the figure is I would get the Safari on.
An oversized house cat.

BlueKrono

I like the Safari better even though the jaw notch isn't as pronounced as it should be.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Mellow Stego

I'd go with the Collecta. Both are great but the Safari one is a little too monitor lizard looking.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Halichoeres

A friend of mine from grad school is a synapsid expert at the Smithsonian, and has published on both forelimb and vertebral anatomy in the group. I asked her to choose a Dimetrodon for me, and she picked the Safari, for whatever that's worth.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Varanops

That decides me between the two.  No expert am I, but I tended to favor the Safari version under discussion anyway, primarily because it allowed for rearward curvature of the caudal-most lumbo-sacral sail spines (Edaphosaurus-fashion), rather than rendering them rigidly perpendicular to the axial skeleton as is the case with most Dimetrodon toy and illustration representations.  Otherwise I gave the better marks to Collect-A for overall appearance, colors (I prefer my Sphenacodontidae to dress in autumnal rather than spring hues), beefiness, pose, and head sculpting.  Both tails seemed a bit too long and meaty to me for D. grandis, but -- as I said -- I am no expert.  I feel that Schleich's version (the orange one with the articulated mandible) better depicted the tail: short and to the point (pun unintended, but I cheerfully take credit for it).  Actually, I like both the Safari and the Collect-A, and hope to own both shortly after my ship comes in (if it ever does).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.