News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Terror Bird evolution

Started by Seijun, November 23, 2012, 04:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

How much is know about the evolution of "terror birds"? I.e, what did they evolve from? Flighted birds or flightless? Do they have any particularly close modern-day relatives? Perhaps a bird that might have even evolved from a terror bird?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Seijun on November 23, 2012, 04:08:43 AM
How much is know about the evolution of "terror birds"? I.e, what did they evolve from? Flighted birds or flightless? Do they have any particularly close modern-day relatives? Perhaps a bird that might have even evolved from a terror bird?

Here's Darren Naish's old blog about them:
http://darrennaish.blogspot.com/2006/10/terror-birds.html
Also Google Phorusrhacids PDF. You tend to get better results putting in PDF.   Modern relatives include hoatzins and seriemas. Earliest known ancestors might have been late Cretaceous and might have been like big seriemas, flighted but mainly cursorial.

Jetoar

Thanks for share friend, It is a good article of evolution of Phorusrhacids  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: paleoferroequine on November 23, 2012, 05:51:48 AM
Quote from: Seijun on November 23, 2012, 04:08:43 AM

Here's Darren Naish's old blog about them:
http://darrennaish.blogspot.com/2006/10/terror-birds.html
Also Google Phorusrhacids PDF. You tend to get better results putting in PDF.   Modern relatives include hoatzins and seriemas. Earliest known ancestors might have been late Cretaceous and might have been like big seriemas, flighted but mainly cursorial.

Yup, in fact there is an undescribed partial skeleton of a seriama-like bird from Cretacous Antarctica that apparently shares some features with terror birds, and may be one of their ancestors that survived the K-Pg extinction.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Iguanocolossus

Strigogyps MIGHT be their oldest ancestor, but there's some debate on it. Cariamiformes are first seen in Maastrichtian Antarctica

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.