News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I need ideas for names

Started by Thagirion, April 28, 2012, 04:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thagirion

Hey everyone. I'm working on  a comic book project about a family of T-rexes.  Don't get too excited. It's a solo project and I'm a very slow artist. I've had the idea in my head since 1994 and it's taken me this long to get started who knows if I'll ever even finish. Anyway, I need names and I suck at names. Don't get discouraged if I shoot your suggestions down too because I'm also very picky about names, probably a reason why I haven't come up with anything yet. Anyway it's a dino pair and their son and his mate.  I don't want anything cheesy or obvious like "Rex".  I really have no ideas so shoot some interesting names my way please.
Oh also, I want to share some of my art. It's not dino art so I'm guessing I should post it in this forum then?
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

stoneage

Quote from: Thagirion on April 28, 2012, 04:27:56 PM
Hey everyone. I'm working on  a comic book project about a family of T-rexes.  Don't get too excited. It's a solo project and I'm a very slow artist. I've had the idea in my head since 1994 and it's taken me this long to get started who knows if I'll ever even finish. Anyway, I need names and I suck at names. Don't get discouraged if I shoot your suggestions down too because I'm also very picky about names, probably a reason why I haven't come up with anything yet. Anyway it's a dino pair and their son and his mate.  I don't want anything cheesy or obvious like "Rex".  I really have no ideas so shoot some interesting names my way please.
Oh also, I want to share some of my art. It's not dino art so I'm guessing I should post it in this forum then?

Rover, Missy and Prince

Thagirion

No thanks, I don't want silly names either. Still searching for names. 

CityRaptor

Depends on what kind of names you want:
1. Human sounding ones?
2. "Complex" ones made of several words, like Snap-Jaw, Old One Eye etc.?
3. Simple ones, like Gnaw, Crush etc.?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Thagirion

I'm pretty sure I don't want human sounding names. I'm open to complex names or Indian like combination names like Running Claw.  Simple descriptive names are good too.  I have a flying reptile I named Soar that's part of the cast.   Foreign sounding names are also an option.

Metallisuchus

So you're looking for something along the lines of what Bakker wrote in "Raptor Red" then...

Ambush would be a good name for the larger, slower one (females are thought to have been larger than males). It is theorized that the younger, faster-moving Tyrannosaurs would chase down the prey, leading them right into a trap - the mother Tyrannosaur hiding in the foliage, waiting for the perfect opportunity to ambush its prey.

Maybe something along the lines of Running Bull or Charging Bull for the son, chasing down the prey?

Swift for the young female?

Tyrant for the alpha-male?

Thagirion

Oh I forgot I actually do have a name for the adult male. I just looked at my notes. Good thing I wrote these notes down. It's Tyrannus.  Yep, that's a good way to put it. Names along the lines of what was in Raptor Red.
Yes, I like that the females are bigger.  I really like the names Ambush and Swift. Hum, very good possibilities for the females but still am open for options. And the young male is my main character so I definitely still need a name for him.  Those aren't bad but still want something else for him  I do have a few other characters of other species still un-named but I'll worry about those later.  Thanks a lot for the help.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Thagirion on April 29, 2012, 04:46:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't want human sounding names. I'm open to complex names or Indian like combination names like Running Claw.  Simple descriptive names are good too.  I have a flying reptile I named Soar that's part of the cast.   Foreign sounding names are also an option.
ARe you refeering to Real Indian names or (what i guessing) Native American?
Also, im pretty sure now the males are thought be bigger, nobody's sure tho

CityRaptor

Not to mini-mod, but: Did you really need to revive a 9 year old thread by a member who hasn't been active since the same number of years?

Besides, back then it was thought that female T.rex would be the robuster morph. The current theory is that the morph is based on geographical differences rather than sexual dimorphism.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Stegotyranno420

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor whoops, sorry, i didnt check the date clearly
but thanks for the info friend

Rexy

For the males, you could have maybe Elvis or T-Bone. For the females, perhaps Belle or Rexona.
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.