News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Phylogeny of fossil coelacanths

Started by Halichoeres, March 19, 2021, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A recent paper does a comprehensive phylogenetic analysis of coelacanths. This graphic gives a nice overview of the relationships, temporal span, and variety of body shapes that coelacanths have exhibited through their history.

But please, toy companies, please keep including the modern gombessa as a stand-in for all extinct coelacanths.

Paywall, but message me for a pdf (generously furnished by the author, this is a good reminder that most scientists are very happy to do so): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08912963.2020.1867982
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

In other coelacanth news, here's a new specimen of Mawsonia from near the Jurassic-Cretaceous boundary in Uruguay, with a detailed reconstruction of the head:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsames.2020.103054
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Smilodon P.

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2021, 06:34:46 PM
In other coelacanth news, here's a new specimen of Mawsonia from near the Jurassic-Cretaceous boundary in Uruguay, with a detailed reconstruction of the head:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsames.2020.103054

I watched an interview with one of the authors, PabloToriƱo, last week, in which he talked about coelacanths and showed this finding. But I didn't realize that it had already been published.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABnHw-raPMY

(Crossing my fingers for some company to do a Foreyia maxkuhni figure someday.)

Halichoeres

I think technically it hasn't been published because the paper version of the journal issue hasn't been put together, but the pdf is already online (as always, anyone who wants it, pm me your email address).

Quote from: Smilodon P. on March 23, 2021, 07:14:06 PM

(Crossing my fingers for some company to do a Foreyia maxkuhni figure someday.)

Yeah, that would be fantastic! Possibly the weirdest coelacanth known.

SBell

So looking at those silhouettes, and how most coelacanth figures are Latimeria (regardless of age) I realized that this one doesn't share the same shape:

(I really hope the photo works)

Not sure if it fits as any of the other shapes, but it certainly stands out as different.

Halichoeres

I dunno, it sure is wearing Latimeria colors. I guess it could almost be a Diplocercides except that it doesn't have the eponymous double tail. But to me this looks just like a not very well made Latimeria.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2021, 01:19:01 PM
I dunno, it sure is wearing Latimeria colors. I guess it could almost be a Diplocercides except that it doesn't have the eponymous double tail. But to me this looks just like a not very well made Latimeria.

I don't usually look at colour...and yeah, not well made for any particular species. But the pointed snout is different, definitely not our modern coelacanth. If only they hadn't messed up the tail.

Halichoeres

Understandable, but to me the color is really irksome because every fossil coelacanth we know is from a wildly different environment from the one that the gombessa occupies. So there's no way they'd have had the same coloration.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 27, 2021, 05:26:17 PM
Understandable, but to me the color is really irksome because every fossil coelacanth we know is from a wildly different environment from the one that the gombessa occupies. So there's no way they'd have had the same coloration.

Definitely. Even the updated Kaiyodo axelrodichthys is more of a brown version of the modern (which, even the Indonesian isn't as brown as sometimes depicted).

There might be a few possible colour variations available, it's not like fish overall are conservative in their palettes

Halichoeres

I actually think the 2nd version is based on the juvenile coloration of Lates japonicus. That's what it looks like to my eye, anyway, and it's a much better ecological analogue.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 28, 2021, 08:25:00 PM
I actually think the 2nd version is based on the juvenile coloration of Lates japonicus. That's what it looks like to my eye, anyway, and it's a much better ecological analogue.

Of course. Makes sense.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.