You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What colour should i paint Dino toe nails?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, April 26, 2021, 10:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I tend to collect larger dinosaur figures and repaint many of them.  Up til now I have just sort of winged it where the toe nails are concerned, doing everything from light colours to dark colours, without really stopping to think about it.

Is there a colour that would be most realistic or likely?

Lynx

Depends on the color scheme. If your repaint has bright coloration, black toenails would be better and vice versa. If you are going for a realistic look though then I would go with glossy white or light grey.
An oversized house cat.

Kapitaenosavrvs

I second the "depends on the Colouration". Black is classy, but if the Figure is bigger, i maybe would go with a black Base and use offwhite, creamy or almost light ocre or umbra colours as a hefty drybrush on them to create depth. I like them in a used and rough look. Maybe look at larger Birds, that live mostly on the ground. Or you do it the other Way around. First the light colour and than a black or dark drybrush on it.
And on the Base of the Nails/claws basbe a wash that fits the rest of your Nailcolouration. I am no expert and always learning, so i tend to try stuff out and redo it if i do not like it. That happens alot :D

So, if its a dusty or sandy ground, consider this in your Colourchoices/drybrushes/highlights. Or if its muddy, than maybe a bit of muddy mud on them? You decide.

Since they are covered in Keratin, i would think there isn't THE right colour. Please correct me, if i am wrong. I like to learn, too :D

andrewsaurus rex

thanks for the advice to both of you.  I should have mentioned in my post I was looking for a realistic colour rather than an aesthetic one.  What you've said is pretty much what I have been doing; it's nice to have some validation that I've been on the right track.

And thanks for nobody making comments like: "it depends on what colour their handbag is.."    :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.