You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is the best retro Spinosaurus poll.

Started by Wallnut, January 01, 2021, 08:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best retro Spinosaurus?

Carnegie 2009
19 (59.4%)
Carnegie 2007
3 (9.4%)
Carnegie 1992
7 (21.9%)
Collecta version 1
1 (3.1%)
Collecta version 1 repaint
0 (0%)
Collecta procon deluxe
1 (3.1%)
Schleich 2008
3 (9.4%)
Schleich first version
3 (9.4%)
Schleich first version repaint
0 (0%)
Schleich 2011
2 (6.3%)
Great dino discoveries
0 (0%)
Papo first verison
10 (31.3%)
Other  specify in the comments
5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Wallnut

Spinosaurus changed trought the history well this polls goal is finding the best retro spinosaurus.

I am sorry for the wrong realese date of the first carnegie one it was realesed in 1992 but I write 1997.

Gwangi

My pick is the orange Spinosaurus by Favorite. I'm also really fond of the Carnegie 2009 but was never able to get ahold of it, now I probably won't bother trying.

Blade-of-the-Moon

How far back are you looking?  The Playskool Def. Dinosaurs one was my first. 

stargatedalek

CityRaptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 01, 2021, 05:14:40 PM
Is it cheating to say Mattel?

Probably not. Figure is newer, but basedon an old reconstruction.

Question: Shouldn't there be two polls about this? One for the "Carnosaur with a sail" and one for the "Baryonyx with a sail" look?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Wallnut

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 01, 2021, 05:09:29 PM
How far back are you looking?  The Playskool Def. Dinosaurs one was my first. 

First reconstructions to baryonyx with sail.

Shonisaurus

One of my favorite "retro" spinosaurus is the first orange version of Carnegie's spinosaurus by far followed by Schleich's masterfully sculpted 1996 spinosaurus.

Over9K

Gecco's 'Dinomation' Spinosaurus is pretty sweet... and not as inaccurate, proportion-wise, as it might have been...

Stegotyranno420

The new Carnegie one and th old papo one, maybe nanmu buts that's not really in my range

Dinoguy2

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

Lets also not forget about the Tsukuda Spinosaurus

SidB

While I still own the 2004/2013 Favorite Spinos, and think that they were excellent figures for their time,  and hold onto my Papo movie monster version, the bottom line for me is displayability: I still have my 2009 Carnegie on show among the extensive Carnegie/Safari and Wild safari collection. It is that good a sculpt.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Fembrogon

Frankly, any long-snouted Spino reconstruction is too recent for me to see it as "retro"; the old-fashioned, allo/rex-headed (sometimes 4-legged) reconstructions take that title exclusively.
With that in mind, my vote has to go to the original Carnegie, which captures that image as professionally as possible for the time. Honestly, I don't know of many other "retro" spino toys that aren't chinasaurs (that Starlux mentioned above looks pretty nice, though).

SidB

Good point, the original Carnegie fits the bill more precisely.

sauroid

this U.K.R.D. figure came out during the same era as the old Carnegie Spino. (im just not really sure if it's depicting a Spinosaurs but doesnt look like a Dimetrodon either)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

Quote from: sauroid on March 18, 2021, 03:47:14 PM
this U.K.R.D. figure came out during the same era as the old Carnegie Spino. (im just not really sure if it's depicting a Spinosaurs but doesnt look like a Dimetrodon either)

I'm curious, avatar_sauroid @sauroid , what does the stamp say (if anything), Dimetrodon or Spinosaurus? It looks like they couldn't make up their minds and just decided to split the difference, sort of!

stargatedalek

That is AAA, and it's labelled Dimetrodon.

DC

The reconstructions have changed so much  and often the last few years.

The classic Stromer version is Starlux

The quad reconstruction is the original Wild Safari

The JP version was Papo

The Bonadona version is the Collecta Swimming maybe also the Kinto swimming version

for most recent tail The Safari 2021

but we do not have the most recent Stork reconstruction by anyone
You can never have too many dinosaurs

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.