You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Customized CollectA Kronosaurus becomes Doris the Pliosaurus

Started by modelnut, May 12, 2021, 02:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelnut

Doris the Pliosaurus in the Bristol Museun & Art Gallery is a life-sized model of Pliosaurus carpenteri. She was sculpted and painted by Tone Hitchcock and I would love to see her in person one day. Until then this figure will have to do.

I took CollectA's Deluxe Kronosaurus for my base. It is the perfect size for P capenteri in 1/24th scale. I fixed the mouth open and resculpted the trailing edges of the fins and tail fluke to appear thinner and more in scale. The figure is 13 inches long or 33 centimeters. That translates to an animal twenty-six feet or eight meters long.

Here are a few beauty shots.

And here she is with my museum family.

And with Temnodontosaurus in the same scale.

Here is the link to my gallery where there are a few more pictures: https://www.deviantart.com/modelnut/gallery

Thanks for taking a look!

- Leelan

Stegotyranno420

Amazing! This thing is phenomenal, just like your other works

SidB

I'm just amazed at the pattern that you've created for the Temnodontosaurus. That mottling is just gorgeous. And the Kronosaurus is hardly chopped liver either. Wonderful work, congratulations, I'm just blown away by your skill.

Shonisaurus

Magnificent figure, honestly I have the version of Doris from the Bristol Museum and at that time years ago the edition was already limited to certain copies, now I think that this figure is not marketed or rather that it is not easily found. Honestly, it looks better with that look you have put on it. I congratulate you. I fortunately have the version of Doris the pliosaurus. I don't regret buying it.

One day I will exhibit it in photography in my collection.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

modelnut

Thank you, all!  :))

I also have the Museum's Doris figure. I think you can only buy it from them. Tone had hoped it might sell well enough that CollectA might release it in a larger and better detailed size. But after so many years it doesn't appear likely.

That mottled appearance on Temmy is all due to Martin Garratt. I saw one or two of his artworks up close and personal at Wonderfest a few years ago and I asked him how he did that. He sent me a short instructional video when he got back home. I am nowhere near Martin's skill level yet. But with practice maybe I will get better. Building for me is easy. Painting scares me.  :-\

- Leelan

sauroid

oh youre Leelan Lampkins on facebook. no wonder your work is so familiar. great to see you here.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

Well, I can appreciate Martin's input and influence, but your realization of the mottling looks first class to me.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

modelnut

Quote from: sauroid on May 12, 2021, 01:07:29 PM
oh you're Leelan Lampkins on facebook. no wonder your work is so familiar. great to see you here.

Yep. That's me.  ;D

- Leelan

Kapitaenosavrvs

Wonderful! I love seeing customized Figures. Repainting is always, or mostly, i good Idea. But i really love custom Work on existing Figures.
Your Skills are really good. Looking forward to see more Works :) I often think about fixing articulated Jaws to a closed Position, but then, i sometimes like to try it with an open or slightly open Mouth a couple of Days. Or Hours. Or Minutes.

Greetings

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.