You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Geosternbergia & Citipati on its nest ADDED: REGALICERATOPS SLEEPING

Started by andrewsaurus rex, March 31, 2021, 04:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Good Mother T-Rex.   Mattel Camp Cretaceous Trex with a pair of repainted Collecta juvenile Trex figures.  The red blob in her mouth is supposed to be a hunk of meat she is bringing her chicks.  I hope to find something better looking to use some day....for now it is just a hunk of red painted kleenex.

Dusty Wren

Nah, gluing the joints doesn't sound odd to me. I don't really mess with the articulation on mine once I've found a pose I like, so they might as well be glued.

Have you thought about using epoxy to sculpt over the joints after gluing them? I've been thinking about trying that (though I'm planning on trying it out on something cheaper than a BotM!).
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

i considered using putty/sculpey/something to cover the joints but it will be a major league drag to do and zero fun.  So I just use paint to disguise them and that's it.  Paint actually works pretty well.

I've collected action figures over the years so i'm sorta used to seeing articulated joints.  The legs I can deal with, they don't really bother me.  I wish the head joints gave a better range of motion...I can extend the range a bit by forcing and gluing but I feel it should really be better than it is.

It's the mid torso joint I hate....and I mean hate.  If I were to putty anything it would be that.  It's a huge vertical gash down the middle of the torso; ruins the lines of the body and has almost no range of motion.  Dumb.

Dusty Wren

Yeah, I hear you on the range of motion on the head. My Diabloceratops can lower his head, but my Spiclypeus doesn't have nearly as much range, just due to the shape of the neck and how it fits in the socket.

For what it's worth, the mid-torso joint doesn't seem to have been designed with motion in mind. It's to allow parts swapping. The Diabloceratops and the Spiclypeus have the same hip mold, but different torso molds, which gives the two figures a noticeably different profile. You get more body shapes without having to create new molds for each figure. Without that mid-torso joint, all the ceratopsians would have identical bodies. Or they'd be a lot more expensive to make, and the price would go up accordingly.

But if you wanted to sculpt over it, I think it would be pretty easy to do.
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

ah I see.......I guess that makes sense.  But you'd think it  could have been done more seamlessly.  Each ceratopsian figure looks like it's wearing a breastplate......cool if one wanted to paint it that way, an armoured dinosaur but annoying as H-E double hockey sticks to look at.  I guess they did it for both modular building plus some 'bonus' articulation.   :P

I doubt i'll do any sculpt overs.  The dark paint trick works pretty well, at least for me.  My vision's not great so from a couple of feet, with some dark paint over the offensive joints, the figs look fine.

Someone once described the BOTM figures as marionette-like.  Which I thought was a very apt description...especially true for the Raptor series.

Halichoeres

A bit late to this, but nice job on the Chasmosaurus repaint.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

Diabloceratops dueling Lythronax.  The Lythronax is a modified Rebor GrabN'Bo T-rex which has been reposed a bit and had the head altered (slimmed down muzzle and jaw, some sculpey work around the eyes and a bit of paint).  I think the Rebor Rex makes a decent Lythronax as it is not too bulky and is a bit leggy, just how I imagine Lythromax to have been.  I wish the arms were a bit bigger, though.

Diablo is a BOTM repaint.

The piece is supposed to represent a confrontation between a Diabloceratops and a pack of Lythronax.   A lone Lythronax has tried to sneak in from the side of a Diabloceratops, while it was being distracted by other, smaller Lythronax in front of it.  But the Diablo spotted the attempt and was quick enough to pivot and ram the slinking Lythronax in the guts.  My hunch is that ceratopsian horns would usually not penetrate a tyrannosaur's tough hide, but would still do a lot of damage and pain just from the ramming force.  In this case the Diabloceratops is actually starting to lift the Lythronax off the ground, using its 4 large horns.

picupload

andrewsaurus rex

BOTM Centrosaurus juvenile as a 1/18 scale adult.  Added longer forward pointing nose horn, two small brow horns, tweaked the mouth slightly and added a bit of detail painting and touch up.  Posed swimming across a river, perhaps during a migration or to escape a forest fire.

image uploading site

Bread

I really like that altered G&G T.rex which is now a Lythronax. Wonderful repaints and modifications to your figures.

If you can by chance provide more photos of the Lythronax? Really interesting to see.

andrewsaurus rex

Elasmotherium sibericum trampling a young Homotherium sabre toothed cat that was part of a large pride.  The inexperienced youngster was unwary and caught off guard by the speed and agility of the big Elasmotherium and paid the price.  Location, south western Siberia ~35,000 years ago.

Eyes on the Collecta Elasmotherium have been moved to the correct location directly under the horn and head and shoulders repainted in the same colour as the reddish brown streak on the back.  Horn repainted.  The Homotherium is a figure I've had for years of some generic felid.....I think it's a McFarlane figure accessory.  I added the sabre teeth to it.

remove quotes from string online

find duplicates in csv online

andrewsaurus rex

Smilodon fatalis leaping on the back of a young Macrauchenia.  Inspired by the way lionesses sometimes ambush zebra by creeping up from behind and leap on the zebra's back.

Safari smilodon and schleich macrauchenia.  Both have been altered a bit.  The front arms on the smilodon turned and spread and the rear legs of the macrauchenia  have been made to look like they're starting to buckle.

Not the most realistic pose but I thought it was a fun thing to do with my bland safari smilodon and underscale schleich marcrauchenia.

sarojini naidu famous poems

andrewsaurus rex

avatar_Bread @Bread   Sorry I missed your post, I just saw it now.  Here are a few more pictures of the Lythronax.

Lanthanotus

Nice customization of the Rebor GnG T. rex. andrewsaurus :)
I find it a very good figure, but also good for customization, changed mine too, though stayed with the species.

andrewsaurus rex

did you modify the pose at all?  I  found this plastic very difficult to heat and bend so that it would stay in the new position.....it just kept springing back to its original position.  I finally had to resort to using a candle flame to make any progress.

Looking at my cruddy pics I can see that they don't do the figure justice, not to toot my own horn.  The stripes on the back don't look like they were done by a five year old.  :)   The idea behind them was that they were left over from when the animal was young and are fading with age.  They are the same colour as the underside of the figure.

The top of the head is where most of the modification was done....thinned down, new hornlets added.   If I can ever find some t rex arms that are a little bigger i'm going to go back and chop of the little tiny arms on the figure and replace them with larger ones.

andrewsaurus rex

BOTM Regaliceratops asleep.  Felt like doing something a little different.  Originally had him sleeping with one eye open but it looked dumb so I closed it.

roll d6

Shonisaurus

How funny that licoriceratops! Honestly, she is a cool one with the BoTM figures that of the postures that these ceratopsides can adopt. It is a great idea that of the articulated dinosaurs in this case I see it with good eyes.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.