You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First Non-Avian Dinosaur From Tajikistan

Started by austrosaurus, June 28, 2021, 01:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrosaurus

A new genus of dromaeosaur, Kansaignathus sogdianus, is the first named species of non-avian dinosaur from the central Asian nation of Tajikistan. From the mid-late Cretaceous Yalovacska Formation, it is known from a single dentary (hence the -gnathus suffix) which was discovered in the 1960's. The phylogenetic analysis recovered it as a basal velociraptorine. The paper hasn't appeared online yet, but there is an article from the Russian Palaeontological Institute celebrating the discovery: https://www.paleo.ru/institute/scientific_work/progress/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=14544

Halichoeres

Thanks for sharing. I got curious, and there are some amazing plant and invertebrate fossils from Tajikistan, especially from the Triassic. Yet this jawbone is the first time I've ever seen Tajik paleontology in the news. I wonder why!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.