News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rauisuchid Osteoderms?

Started by Papi-Anon, May 24, 2021, 01:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papi-Anon

I'm working on a postosuchus figure and was curious what sort of plates and fringes rauisuchids might have had on their dorsal regions (if any).

While my figure of ol' posto is based on the more modern bipedal posture I'm unsure if the back armor of modern crocodylians is the way to go in terms of 'accuracy'. I know some rauisuchids have been found with osteoderms but I've seen a variety of illustrations ranging from full-blown modern croc back scales to subtle plate-bands with no fringes or stout spines. I'll admit that the now inaccurate WWD postosuchus's back-plates are kinda the default that comes to mind for me, but what exactly were the more common forms with rauisuhids' osteoderms we've found so far?
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Halichoeres

avatar_Papi-Anon @Papi-Anon Prestosuchus has a double row of osteoderms on its back and a single row on its tail, in case that helps.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 27, 2021, 02:30:55 PM
avatar_Papi-Anon @Papi-Anon Prestosuchus has a double row of osteoderms on its back and a single row on its tail, in case that helps.

It does. Ultimately I gave my Postosuchus model crocodilian-like scale and osteoderm patterns due to their close relation as pseudosuchian groups. I was tempted to copy the WWD Posto's osteoderms, though.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.