News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Please, recommend a book

Started by postosuchus, October 30, 2023, 05:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postosuchus

Can someone here recommend books (encyclopedias, reference books) on paleontology, about dinosaurs and other prehistoric fauna:

1) With images of the skeleton of a dinosaur (other animal), reconstruction of the location of muscles from different angles and other anatomical features (below I tried (hardly to succeed) to attach a photo example of what I mean).

2) In Russian language. I can't find anything good at all. Only a lot of children's encyclopedias with drawings and texts from twenty years ago.

Points 1) and 2) are independent of each other. Books can be recommended in English. Indicate the price if you know it, and where the book can be purchased.

If you know books in electronic format, then share links for downloading. Thanks.

postosuchus

I found these photos in one of the reviews of the Haolonggood product on Aliexpress. does anyone know what book is it?

postosuchus

I met photographs of another book (Russian) in anothen Haolonggood review, which I can't find now; it showed the skeleton of a dinosaur in different angles (side and top views) as well as a reconstruction of the dinosaur from the same angles.

CityRaptor

Looks like a translated version of "The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs".
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoFan2010

I recommend "Dinosaurs: The Grand Tour" By Keiron Pim with Illustrations by Fabio Pastori. Not exactly what you were asking, but certainly a very nice, informative book.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

postsaurischian

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 30, 2023, 06:11:47 PMLooks like a translated version of "The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs".

That's right. Definitely Gregory Paul's Carnotaurus.

HD-man

Quote from: postosuchus on October 30, 2023, 05:49:05 PM1) With images of the skeleton of a dinosaur (other animal), reconstruction of the location of muscles from different angles and other anatomical features (below I tried (hardly to succeed) to attach a photo example of what I mean).

2) In Russian language. I can't find anything good at all. Only a lot of children's encyclopedias with drawings and texts from twenty years ago.

Points 1) and 2) are independent of each other. Books can be recommended in English. Indicate the price if you know it, and where the book can be purchased.

#1) Based on the photos you shared, you want GSPaul's dino field guide (which, despite its weirdness, IS 1 of the best sources of dino stats). A 3rd edition is coming out soon ( https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Field-Guide-Dinosaurs-Guides/dp/0691231575 ), but if you wanna check out the other editions, let me know in a PM.

#2) AFAIK, the best adult dino book available in Russian is Naish/Barrett's Dinosaurs: How They Lived and Evolved (which, while not a reference work, IS the best adult natural history of dinos): http://alioramus-altai.blogspot.com/2018/07/dinosaurs-how-they-lived-and-evolved.html

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on October 30, 2023, 06:44:55 PMI recommend "Dinosaurs: The Grand Tour" By Keiron Pim with Illustrations by Fabio Pastori. Not exactly what you were asking, but certainly a very nice, informative book.

Sorry to put down your suggestion, but objectively, it's pretty bad for reasons I discuss elsewhere: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg352719#msg352719
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Halichoeres

This is kind of an all-ages title, but if you're interested in a broad survey of prehistoric life, you might enjoy this one Palmer et al., published by Dorling Kindersley: https://www.dk.com/us/book/9781465482495-dinosaurs-and-prehistoric-life/
Some of the illustrations could definitely be improved, but there is a lot of good imformation.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postosuchus

really grateful to everyone who responded!

postosuchus

please, recommend online book stores with cheap shipping to second world countries. or stores with big discounts on 11.11.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I believe Darren Naish's "Dinosaurs: How They Lived and Evolved" has a Russian edition. It has quite a few skeletal diagrams, and a few muscle reconstructions, and is generally one of the more detailed books on dinosaurs you can find!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.