You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How scientifically accurate is Sideshow T Rex

Started by bone crusher, August 22, 2021, 03:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bone crusher

So, Sideshow's Dinosauria line T.Rex The Tyrant King statue, how scientifically accurate is it by today's standards? This is supposedly be a 1/15 ish scale based on Sue. Aside from the lack of lips and feathers, are there any other body proportion errors or missing features that you can spot?

Faelrin

Appears to be missing the gastralia, or at the very least should be deeper chested like the current mount, particularly if it is based off of Sue. but I believe that took hold after this was created. The integument is outdated (this predates the 2017? paper), such as the skin, keratin coverings on the head, etc. In the first image the wrist appears to be pronated but in the second image it is in a different position? Maybe some minor shrinkwrapping on the body as well, and other proportional issues as well, but don't have a skeletal to compare it to atm. Over all not bad for the time it was made, but advances in our understanding of its anatomy have caused it to become inaccurate in numerous ways as mentioned above.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

bone crusher

Quote from: Faelrin on August 22, 2021, 01:49:29 PM
Appears to be missing the gastralia, or at the very least should be deeper chested like the current mount, particularly if it is based off of Sue. but I believe that took hold after this was created. The integument is outdated (this predates the 2017? paper), such as the skin, keratin coverings on the head, etc. In the first image the wrist appears to be pronated but in the second image it is in a different position? Maybe some minor shrinkwrapping on the body as well, and other proportional issues as well, but don't have a skeletal to compare it to atm. Over all not bad for the time it was made, but advances in our understanding of its anatomy have caused it to become inaccurate in numerous ways as mentioned above.
Good to see your observation, so it appears the biggest difference that affects the overall proportion the most is the missing gastralia which makes the current rex super bulky. I just knew it's time to update my T.Rex collection to the latest findings after all these years :) and I'm glad it's getting chonkier, thicc and more robust.
Pre ordered this bad boy recently, hope this is a good start.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.