You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleontological Museum Moscow (Museum of the Paleontological Institute RAS)

Started by Antey, November 09, 2021, 04:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antey

Hello, as the first topic I propose to get acquainted with the collection of the museum, which I visited exactly a year ago. Abroad, little is known about him. For example, in "The Chronicle of a Tyrannosaurus" author David Hone did not even mention it, listing the museums of the world that have fossils of the famous predator. And this museum has the richest collection of tarbosaurus fossils in the world! Only three complete skeletons.

Antey

Well, since we started with tarbosaurs, here are some photos. Assess the shape of the skull and proportion. Definitely not an American Tyrannosaurus!

Antey

And here is the legendary holotype PIN 551-1 that began the modern history of this Asian tyrannosaurid.

Antey

Now it is worth going back to chronologically earlier eras. There are many more photos, but I will limit your acquaintance with the most spectacular and toothy samples :)
So - the first toothy beast is dtnocephalus titanophoneus

Antey

And here is another example of a Titanophoneus. Appreciate the power of the skull and the size of the teeth!

Antey

The next animal is the postosuchus skeleton cast

Antey

Most of all I was struck by the dimensions of the Saurolophus angustirostris . He's GIANT! Tarbosaurus is like a child next to him!

Antey

Antey

Antey

I understand that I am tired, so I turn to the Cenozoic mammals. Their gallery is opened by a Hyaenodon.

Antey

The hyenodon's mouth is large, but the herbivores are impressive. Skull of brontoterium brontops.

Antey

I finish the topic with a series of skulls of the most famous saber-toothed cats. The first is their progenitor Machairodus.

Antey

And this is the longest-legged, but not the most toothy inhabitant of open spaces Homotherium.

Antey

I have been reading the forum for a long time and saw how recently a controversy flared up regarding the reliability of one model. Skull of Smilodon for comparing the positions of the disputants.

Antey

This concludes the main part. The photos are much larger, left overboard, ancient whales and giant rhinos, monster pigs and Paleozoic amphibians and much more. The museum is quite large and its collection is unique. I am ready to answer questions. Thank you all for your attention.  ;)

Libraraptor

Thank you for sharing all these interesting photos of all those interesting animals! You could have put this little tour in one post,  btw.  I am looking forward to seeing more!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.