News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rare fossil find of Missouri dinosaurs

Started by Brocc21, November 26, 2021, 03:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

It's always nice to see new finds of Appalachian fauna. Especially when it comes from my home state of Missouri. The on going dig has found some new specimens of Missouri's own official state dinosaur Parrosaurus Missouriensis (Formally Hypsibema Missouriensis).

https://nypost.com/2021/11/24/bones-of-new-dinosaur-species-discovered-in-missouri/
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Newt

Nice! Appalachian dinosaurs for the win!

I did a little research, as all the news articles I could find were scant on details. Apparently this locale has been studied off and on since the 1940s. Besides Parrosaurus, it has yielded the turtles Adocus, Naomichelys, and "Trionyx" - the first two are typical Late Cretaceous turtles of Laramidia, while the third is a wastebasket used for indeterminate softshell remains. It is interesting that these freshwater taxa are found on both sides of the Western Interior Seaway (assuming the fossils are correctly assigned). Some crocodilian scraps were assigned to cf. Leidyosuchus; I suspect they would be reassigned to Borealosuchus if restudied. Indeterminate gar and ray fossils were also found. This is interesting because it indicates that the site was deposited in a freshwater habitat, and that the dinosaurs may not have been transported far. This is rare for Appalachia; most dinosaur remains from the subcontinent are known from marine deposits and presumably represent carcasses that drifted out to sea (which is part of why Appalachian dinosaurs are usually so scrappy). So hopefully more relatively complete dinosaurs will be found here.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/84925362.pdf#page=55

Halichoeres

Hey, maybe the eastern half of the country can stop having Colorado envy!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.