News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Lynx on May 13, 2022, 10:42:28 PM
On another note, I won't be getting this Acro. Even if it's cheap. Just not worth it when there's already a much better (imo) GR Toys version coming out
Honestly, seeing how bad they botched the T. rex has made me apprehensive.  I also don't like that I could make out where the spines were by skin divots, no matter how shallow.  The "hump" should be too muscled to see that.  Hopefully they can correct it.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 13, 2022, 10:40:17 PM
Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 13, 2022, 06:03:15 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 13, 2022, 05:52:39 PM
Funny you mention Safari. When Safari was criticized for making a Nanotyrannus it was stated in THAT thread that Safari was receiving harsher criticism than PNSO. The idea of disproportionate criticism is an illusion in your own mind. Also...Safari Albertosaurus=$15. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus=$40. They both make dinosaurs but they are not the same.
That price difference is reflected in size, detail, paint and extras, there's a world of difference there. Another example: Eofauna's Giganotosaurus is 40USD/30€, but less detailed than similarly priced PNSO models, has knob teeth, stability problems and sloppy paint. It's judged less harshly than anything PNSO made. And as I said, show me another company get criticized for shipping costs, currency, taxes. I'll wait. Or are those illusions in my mind, as well? Again, let's stop pretending.
I wonder if there is a reason PNSO figures get criticized more often than Eofauna's, like that they release a deluge of figures constantly while Eofauna only releases a few a year? That would certainly explain why it seems like there are always complaints to be made about something PNSO is doing, while Eofauna figures only get criticism a few times a year. No, that couldn't possibly be it, not at all.
Also because EoFauna's Giga is better than any similarly priced PNSO figure
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Duna

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 13, 2022, 10:39:54 PMUnlike journalists, I did apologize for cherry picking.
That's super nice. By the way my comment wasn't reffering to you but to other member that did that rudely after that. I apreciate your gesture so my apologies if you felt it was towards you after that.

By the way, yes, Eofauna's giganotosaurus receives a lot of criticism because of inestability (mine stands perfectly from the first day, what PNSO quadrupedal corythosaurus has never done and will never do no matter what I try), smooth surface (in fact that is accurate because of scale, not what we are accustomed to get in almost all figures) and not very complex paint scheme. I think it's most criticised even than one of the most criticizable figures from PNSO, Wilson.

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 13, 2022, 10:51:18 PM

Really? :-\  I'm not convinced, can you give examples?

Medzo

Quite a brave remark in a PNSO thread :o But to be serious, that sounds a bit of an EoFauna evangelism to me. Their giga is a gorgeous figure but its paint application can't compete with the better PNSO theropods imho.

For now I'm convinced in case PNSO does a new version of Lucas it would blow Eofauna's version out of the water completely.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on May 13, 2022, 10:58:55 PM

Cheaper

More expensive

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Medzo on May 13, 2022, 11:13:14 PM

Quite a brave remark in a PNSO thread :o But to be serious, that sounds a bit of an EoFauna evangelism to me. Their giga is a gorgeous figure but its paint application can't compete with the better PNSO theropods imho.

For now I'm convinced in case PNSO does a new version of Lucas it would blow Eofauna's version out of the water completely.
The paint isn't the only factor that contruibutes to the overall quality of the figure

GiganotosaurusFan

details aren't as fine as the acro
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Faelrin

avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1 Thanks for sharing that image. I think it looks better with its mouth closed, and from that angle as well. Yep I think I'm definitely going for it when it goes on sale later this month. Fingers crossed I can. Just hope the final paint doesn't let me down too much, since it's not too elaborate to begin with. I also didn't mention this earlier, but I also like how chunky this one looks too. If the GR Toys one satisfies me down the road, then I'll pick that one up too. If not I'll finally have a pretty good Acrocanthosaurus figure in my collection, and a long over due one considering it is one of my favorite theropods.

Also out of curiosity I flipped that image and compared it with the one from wikipedia with all the different skeletals based on the available specimens, and I really don't think it's that far off. Again I think the camera could be distorting how it is actually looking, and I think we should just wait for there to be in hand pics/videos to know better. If anything I'm more disappointed about the lack of enlarged claw on the first digit, even if that isn't anything new at this point, and again it isn't a deal breaker for me either.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GiganotosaurusFan

For the PNSO criticism, high prices + higher standards would most likely the reason.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Medzo

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 13, 2022, 11:28:01 PM

Cheaper

More expensive

Well, you did list the lesser pieces of PNSO for sure. Not every release of theirs hit their level of standard but a Yutyrannus or an Allosaurus for example can't be competed with.

Lynx

Quote from: Duna on May 13, 2022, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 13, 2022, 10:39:54 PMUnlike journalists, I did apologize for cherry picking.
That's super nice. By the way my comment wasn't reffering to you but to other member that did that rudely after that. I apreciate your gesture so my apologies if you felt it was towards you after that.

By the way, yes, Eofauna's giganotosaurus receives a lot of criticism because of inestability (mine stands perfectly from the first day, what PNSO quadrupedal corythosaurus has never done and will never do no matter what I try), smooth surface (in fact that is accurate because of scale, not what we are accustomed to get in almost all figures) and not very complex paint scheme. I think it's most criticised even than one of the most criticizable figures from PNSO, Wilson.

I do not know who your referring too, but I do again apologize, I did not mean to sound rude!
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

I still like all of those figures Gojiraguy listed more than the Eofauna Giga. Except for the Nanotyrannus. Maybe that's partly because I find all of those taxa more appealing than Giga.

Sim

I agree with avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin that the camera could be distorting how this new Acrocanthosaurus actually looks.  The tail length actually looks fine to me compared to Scott Hartman's skeletal and the head looks more proportionate in the latest photo avatar_Shadowknight1 @Shadowknight1 shared.  Personally I dislike the ring of enlarged scales around the eye but I'll wait to see the final product before deciding whether to get it or not.  It looks nice otherwise to me.  Hopefully between PNSO and GR Toys someone will make an Acrocanthosaurus I like.  There's the Cyberzoic one too but I'm afraid of how big it will be.  It's nice to see PNSO back too.

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, the PNSO Cretoxyrhina, Atopodentatus and Spinosaurus all look better than the Eofauna Giga to me and they're cheaper!  And the PNSO models you listed as more expensive all look better than the Eofauna Giga to me.

Faras

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 13, 2022, 11:28:01 PM

Cheaper

More expensive

What about Ankylosaurus, Spinops, Microraptor, Pachyrhinosaurus, Sinoceratops, Miragaia, Pinacosaurus etc?

Lynx

I own the giga in person and I can say almost all figures listed in that post are better. The giga is great accuracy wise, but those figures are still better.
An oversized house cat.

Medzo

Considering this "Safari does not get an equal proportion of criticism" argument...I kinda have to agree with that. As a new collector (< 1 year) I have always found it strange that a new Safari figure which absolutely - and obviously - looks like an over saturated children's toy gets praise like it'd be some definitive figure of the species.
I kinda like Safari Ltd. as a toy company, like their vibe and range of species... but no matter the costs, not even 4 or 5 of their figures could be a substitute for a single, better made PNSO figure to me. Even Papo had managed to make better textures and paint schemes than Safari in my opinion.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi you are , as usual,  the most rational person in these "explosions" that occur after these releases. I agree very much with your statements
Quote from: Medzo on May 14, 2022, 12:12:51 AM
Considering this "Safari does not get an equal proportion of criticism" argument...I kinda have to agree with that. As a new collector (< 1 year) I have always found it strange that a new Safari figure which absolutely - and obviously - looks like an over saturated children's toy gets praise like it'd be some definitive figure of the species.
I kinda like Safari Ltd. as a toy company, like their vibe and range of species... but no matter the costs, not even 4 or 5 of their figures could be a substitute for a single, better made PNSO figure to me. Even Papo had managed to make better textures and paint schemes than Safari in my opinion.
I dont want to derail this place too much, but I kind agree with you here. Papo is often treated as a wierd, over extravagant company, but in my opinion the paint and sculpt is better than what I SEEN of even PNSO.

Back to PNSO, when do you think we will start getting review vids of it?

Lynx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 14, 2022, 12:21:58 AM
Quote from: Medzo on May 14, 2022, 12:12:51 AM
I dont want to derail this place too much, but I kind agree with you here. Papo is often treated as a wierd, over extravagant company, but in my opinion the paint and sculpt is better than what I SEEN of even PNSO.

Back to PNSO, when do you think we will start getting review vids of it?

Typically a couple days after the figure is shown, it is put for sale and the videos pump out pretty quick afterward.
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

Could we all just seriously stop with the unnecessary Safari bashing, whether directly or passive aggressively?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: