News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/11±1 Dire Wolf

Started by blnadal, January 12, 2022, 09:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 13, 2024, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2024, 02:53:39 AMJeez..I'm kinda tempted to cancel my order. If it was just paint I could deal and have it repainted, but the teeth aren't anything near as nice as the sabretooth. They are thick and heavily painted. I think the Sabretooth had cast teeth not paint, much like Nanmu's dinosaurs. They give you that opaque/ translucent feel of real enamel.  I don't know if they went cheaper or this is a factory issue but..woof.

The teeth are too small. Those front teeth are less than 1mm long and 0.5mm wide, the canine teeth are less than 3mm, it's just impossible to apply the translucent technique to them. Our Gorilla Z also have painted teeth instead of translucent ones and they were so small that most people didn't even notice the difference.

And they weren't cheap at all, the mould cost more than that of the Smilodon, the manufacture cost was roughly the same since they come with 3 head sculpts so honestly the listing prices should be around 50 quid or 60 dollars, plus we've spent more than a year on prototype development and the total cost of the project became so high that we simply couldn't make the price structure justifiable if we want to profit so we decided to sell them cheap and only do one single batch much like the Titanboa's story.

You have no idea how heartbroken we felt when reading your guys' comments. Isn't it a bit too rushed to draw conclusions from just one single review video? Since when the market has become so impatient and unforgiving? This is 2024 and even 3.75 inch figures cost more than 20 quid yet people are still not happy with these super detailed 7 inch dire wolf figures with 3 interchangeable heads that only cost 30 quid.

I do apologize but I am being honest in what I see so far. I did mention I would reorder if it turned out to be different in other reviews.

I'm almost certain I've seen smaller or as small teeth on Rebor products before? Those turned out sharp and defined. I'm sitting here in my living room looking at least 4 Rebor models with I would imagine teeth about the same size? As is I'm reminded of the undefined teeth on the very early Safari wolf models.

I would have been fine paying more myself for better paint apps and maybe one less head? Just my opinion. Getting the eyes right is a big thing which seems to be a common issue with these factories of late?  I did mention I wasn't sure what the issue was really as I am quite surprised this was a Rebor product. 

I think the market is only becoming more and more impatient and unforgiving to be honest. The sheer volume of merchandise coming out any given month or up for preorder is enormous. While waiting for one item another can pop up that appeals more and take it's place. It is insane. It doesn't help that in this age of influencers what's new often takes priority and anything even a little old is swept to the side.  Our economy in the U.S. has became quite a bit tighter this last year so people are more cautious about where their dollar goes.  I depend on commissions, buying/selling and the generosity of the public in the case of our nonprofit park. When those funds dry up I have to cut back and find other avenues of cash flow.  So it's not just you who have noticed these changes.  It's very hard to do any sort of business these days, especially hard for us smaller ones.

In the end, I could buy them and then have the teeth resculpted and the paint work redone probably around 100-120.00 each or I can wait to see if anyone makes a better one. I will look for other reviews I'm sure there will be at least one or two more.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2024, 05:58:18 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 13, 2024, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 13, 2024, 02:53:39 AMJeez..I'm kinda tempted to cancel my order. If it was just paint I could deal and have it repainted, but the teeth aren't anything near as nice as the sabretooth. They are thick and heavily painted. I think the Sabretooth had cast teeth not paint, much like Nanmu's dinosaurs. They give you that opaque/ translucent feel of real enamel.  I don't know if they went cheaper or this is a factory issue but..woof.

The teeth are too small. Those front teeth are less than 1mm long and 0.5mm wide, the canine teeth are less than 3mm, it's just impossible to apply the translucent technique to them. Our Gorilla Z also have painted teeth instead of translucent ones and they were so small that most people didn't even notice the difference.

And they weren't cheap at all, the mould cost more than that of the Smilodon, the manufacture cost was roughly the same since they come with 3 head sculpts so honestly the listing prices should be around 50 quid or 60 dollars, plus we've spent more than a year on prototype development and the total cost of the project became so high that we simply couldn't make the price structure justifiable if we want to profit so we decided to sell them cheap and only do one single batch much like the Titanboa's story.

You have no idea how heartbroken we felt when reading your guys' comments. Isn't it a bit too rushed to draw conclusions from just one single review video? Since when the market has become so impatient and unforgiving? This is 2024 and even 3.75 inch figures cost more than 20 quid yet people are still not happy with these super detailed 7 inch dire wolf figures with 3 interchangeable heads that only cost 30 quid.

I do apologize but I am being honest in what I see so far. I did mention I would reorder if it turned out to be different in other reviews.

I'm almost certain I've seen smaller or as small teeth on Rebor products before? Those turned out sharp and defined. I'm sitting here in my living room looking at least 4 Rebor models with I would imagine teeth about the same size? As is I'm reminded of the undefined teeth on the very early Safari wolf models.

I would have been fine paying more myself for better paint apps and maybe one less head? Just my opinion. Getting the eyes right is a big thing which seems to be a common issue with these factories of late?  I did mention I wasn't sure what the issue was really as I am quite surprised this was a Rebor product. 

I think the market is only becoming more and more impatient and unforgiving to be honest. The sheer volume of merchandise coming out any given month or up for preorder is enormous. While waiting for one item another can pop up that appeals more and take it's place. It is insane. It doesn't help that in this age of influencers what's new often takes priority and anything even a little old is swept to the side.  Our economy in the U.S. has became quite a bit tighter this last year so people are more cautious about where their dollar goes.  I depend on commissions, buying/selling and the generosity of the public in the case of our nonprofit park. When those funds dry up I have to cut back and find other avenues of cash flow.  So it's not just you who have noticed these changes.  It's very hard to do any sort of business these days, especially hard for us smaller ones.

In the end, I could buy them and then have the teeth resculpted and the paint work redone probably around 100-120.00 each or I can wait to see if anyone makes a better one. I will look for other reviews I'm sure there will be at least one or two more.

We did tell the factory for like a million times that getting eyes flawlessly painted is the number one priority, and there are tons of fan photos of both variants out there already with perfect eyes. Even Hottoys and Prime 1 Studio couldn't eliminate human errors and you know how much their products cost.

There is no REBOR figure with smaller teeth, we are not talking about the canine teeth but all other ones, and since the paint apps need to be consistent we couldn't just make canine teeth translucent so all teeth must be painted. This is not a downgrade but the result of a well thought out decision. We are not lazy people and certainly not cheap people so please understand that everything we did is for a reason.

No need to reorder, both are already sold out so it doesn't matter to us whether you buy it or not, if it's not for you then it's not for you, leave them to someone who acutally like them.

Faelrin

I just realized I didn't clarify on what I meant by paint. I mean the body paint and coloration. The main body color on the Low Roar/Aenocyon version looks less vibrant/saturated (edit: compared to the prototype). Hard to describe it other then that. The misprinted eyes are unfortunate but that can happen with any brand. Having three heads might make increase the odds for or against that happening, so will need to see more samples.

If it really is a limited situation like the Titanoboa then I will have to make do. The sculpt is still worth it, and I did plan to review it for the blog regardless. In any case I reinstated my pre-order (but the original reason I canceled earlier is I can't afford it to hit until late Jan/early Feb), but like fingers crossed BBTS gets it after I make another payment on my card. Otherwise I would have been fine with giving it a few more months.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Saarlooswolfhound

I debated commenting and this is probably the only thing I will say on this particular topic (of the quality of this item upon release) here.

First I'd like to admit: I am 100% not the target audience for this sort of figure and this was going to be my first Rebor figure. If I may share my 2 cents on the situation here...

The sculpt has carried through in quality to the promo photos. I still have my issues with the anatomy but overall its a great attempt for this species. I understand the seam around the head for manufacturing purposes, you wouldn't get the detail in the mouth (including paintwork) without it. That being said though, such seams can be hidden better as has been shown by other brands in a multiplicity of brand classes (more expensive and cheaper product producers alike). I don't understand the complaints of teeth here, but again I am not familiar with similar Rebor products and I think the teeth are fine. The eyes, while not a great thing to have an item that is "cross-eyed" looking, its a hard thing to control for manufacturing. Anyone who criticizes this point obviously hasn't tried to paint such detail themselves and doesn't realize how difficult it can be to get them "right" (especially on a large scale like this would be, doing it over and over, there's gonna be some who end up a bit cross-eyed). My issue overall is the downgrade in paint work. I understand what is being said about the trade off for pricepoint, features of the item (the swappable heads), etc. But the paintwork on the actual models seen online is no where close to what was originally shown. The russet coloration has been dulled down to a simple brown, the dark points are nearly missing everywhere but the barest dorsal stripe and the odd looking stripe under the eyes and on the cheek from the lip to the base of the ear. Personally, yeah you can send the item off to be customized how you would like it to look, but in my opinion you shouldn't have to dress up an item in this way just to enjoy it (especially if it costs as much as estimated above). I have the artistic ability to "fix it" myself but my point is that I shouldn't have to. I personally would rather compromise for less heads (that's not a feature I really benefit from as a collector) or higher paint quality; would even expect a slightly higher price point for it (albeit NOT double the cost as also suggested above).

Again, these are just MY thoughts as an avid canid enthusiast and longtime collector (15+ years), and I readily acknowledge that this is not the usual product I look at for myself. I hope for the success of the model as I would love to see more attempts at this group (I fear its just not popular enough for most companies to even attempt let alone produce something that's not just a steroidal wolf as discussed earlier in this thread). If this is really a limited run also then honestly I am satisfied I didn't preorder as this just isn't what I was hoping for given the promotional material. So I will say it again... I am just disappointed all around.

**edit** the paintwork on the gray one is a little better... it follows the general pallete and pattern better than the red one. BUT its just as "washed out" and unsaturated looking too. But this wasn't the model I had planned on purchasing given its strong resemblance to the WoW animal.

Flaffy

I'm firmly of the opinion that a figure should be judged based on the final product. And the fact is the final product is not what the promotional images suggested. The final model looks incredibly washed out compared to the more saturated tones from Rebor's pics.

Rebor can certainly provide explanations for their design/business decisions, but at the end of the day most consumers are just going to see that their in-hand figure is quite a ways away in quality from what was marketed.

People will pay for quality products. PNSO regularly charges $60 for their museum series models nowadays, yet are doing perfectly fine in sales because their figures live up to the expectation. Rebor could've:
a) simply increase the cost to ensure high paint quality and adequate return on investments
b) reduce the number of accessories, 3 interchangeable heads is cool in concept but in reality most collectors would've been fine with only two or even one head.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on January 14, 2024, 12:15:10 AMI'm firmly of the opinion that a figure should be judged based on the final product. And the fact is the final product is not what the promotional images suggested. The final model looks incredibly washed out compared to the more saturated tones from Rebor's pics.

Rebor can certainly provide explanations for their design/business decisions, but at the end of the day most consumers are just going to see that their in-hand figure is quite a ways away in quality from what was marketed.

People will pay for quality products. PNSO regularly charges $60 for their museum series models nowadays, yet are doing perfectly fine in sales because their figures live up to the expectation. Rebor could've:
a) simply increase the cost to ensure high paint quality and adequate return on investments
b) reduce the number of accessories, 3 interchangeable heads is cool in concept but in reality most collectors would've been fine with only two or even one head.

Essentially this.

I wasn't trying to hurt Rebor's feelings on the situation, just be honest.

From what I can tell the teeth on many of there theropods have teeth the same size or smaller than this?

It's also not sold out. sigh.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Faelrin on January 13, 2024, 07:19:40 PMI just realized I didn't clarify on what I meant by paint. I mean the body paint and coloration. The main body color on the Low Roar/Aenocyon version looks less vibrant/saturated (edit: compared to the prototype). Hard to describe it other then that. The misprinted eyes are unfortunate but that can happen with any brand. Having three heads might make increase the odds for or against that happening, so will need to see more samples.

If it really is a limited situation like the Titanoboa then I will have to make do. The sculpt is still worth it, and I did plan to review it for the blog regardless. In any case I reinstated my pre-order (but the original reason I canceled earlier is I can't afford it to hit until late Jan/early Feb), but like fingers crossed BBTS gets it after I make another payment on my card. Otherwise I would have been fine with giving it a few more months.

Lighting plays a major role, even the best figures can look cheap if you turn on the flashlight. The reviewer clearly used flat light therefore produced minimal contrast, noticed that even the Ice Age Smilodon looked dull in it and we all know how great that figure is.

Adding a rim light or a top light would completely change everything, for example go to our Facebook page and check out the page cover, it's a photo of a few randomly selected acutal products taken by the factory under their office fluorescent ceiling lights against a white wall, simple yet effective.

The point is please be more patient and don't jump to conclusions as it can be very, very disencouraging, we speak not only for us but for all manufacturers.

"Having three heads might make increase the odds for or against that happening" well throw away two heads and only keep one and the figure would still worth more than its listing price, if this was a X-Plus or a Star Ace figure then there would be no accessory or interchangeable heads and they'd still charge you 100 quid for it, sometimes we do feel that our biggest mistake is we are being too generous. Point taken though, from now on there will be no extra heads, instead we will release three version and charge you thrice, how about that?  ;)

Joke aside we were acutally going to release three versions of each variant with only one head sculpt included then changed our decision at the last minute cus we wanted to be that manufacturer who stands on collectors' side. You guys can say all you want about what a bad company REBOR is and talking back to customers is blasphemous but we hope you noticed that it's the 10th year since we entered the market yet we barely raised our prices despite raw materials and labour costs are almost doubled.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 14, 2024, 12:47:04 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on January 13, 2024, 07:19:40 PMI just realized I didn't clarify on what I meant by paint. I mean the body paint and coloration. The main body color on the Low Roar/Aenocyon version looks less vibrant/saturated (edit: compared to the prototype). Hard to describe it other then that. The misprinted eyes are unfortunate but that can happen with any brand. Having three heads might make increase the odds for or against that happening, so will need to see more samples.

Lighting plays a major role, even the best figures can look cheap if you turn on the flashlight. The reviewer clearly used flat light therefore produced minimal contrast, noticed that even the Ice Age Smilodon looked dull in it and we all know how great that figure is.

Adding a rim light or a top light would completely change everything, for example go to our Facebook page and check out the page cover, it's a photo of a few randomly selected acutal products taken by the factory under their office fluorescent ceiling lights against a white wall, simple yet effective.

The point is please be more patient and don't jump to conclusions as it can be very, very disencouraging, we speak not only for us but for all manufacturers.

"Having three heads might make increase the odds for or against that happening" well throw away two heads and only keep one and the figure would still worth more than its listing price, if this was a X-Plus or a Star Ace figure then there would be no accessory or interchangeable heads and they'd still charge you 100 quid for it, sometimes we do feel that our biggest mistake is we are being too generous. Point taken though, from now on there will be no extra heads, instead we will release three version and charge you thrice, how about that?  ;)

Joke aside we were acutally going to release three versions of each variant with only one head sculpt included then changed our decision at the last minute cus we wanted to be that manufacturer who stands on collectors' side. You guys can say all you want about what a bad company REBOR is and talking back to customers is blasphemous but we hope you noticed that it's the 10th year since we entered the market yet we barely raised our prices despite raw materials and labour costs are almost doubled.

I think most consider Star Ace/Xplus in a different niche.

Honestly if I wanted to build a pack and use all three heads I still would have buy three models and would have six spare heads, so I could see the benefit of making three different versions per character.  lol

I didn't see anyone call Rebor a bad company. If anything Rebor has been knocking it out with some fantastic releases.

postsaurischian

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 13, 2024, 05:09:53 PM....... Isn't it a bit too rushed to draw conclusions from just one single review video? .......
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 14, 2024, 12:47:04 AM.......

I can only agree O:-) .

Saarlooswolfhound

I am 100% ready to see something different than what was in that video. I certainly hope that it IS just lighting. But I would add that different cameras and editing can have more effect on something also.

Listing a product for less than its "worth" as you have described just seems like a business practice designed to end in bankruptcy. And "worth" is a double edged sword; one meaning is the actual production cost which you stated is more than the listed price for this item (as said before, probably not a good business practice) and the other meaning is what "worth" it has in the eyes of each consumer- is it "worth" the pricetag listed?

But one minute you state that sacrifices were made to the paintwork to achieve a price point that in theory is more affordable for your consumers, THEN compare yourself (brand) to a very high end niche model producer, and THEN claim that its all lighting causing this issue? Which is it? A StarAce competitor model or a more accessibly affordable one? And to boot, you jest to your customer base that it would be better for everyone to raise cost (noted that you didn't mention raise *quality* to match said cost) and then "charge customers thrice" for a model that may or may not live up to promotional material? Whether its a joke or not, the line of logic here doesn't make any sense to me.

As I stated before, I am very new to this particular area of figures and brands, but with that said I still don't get the attitude of a company stating that their excuse is "Oh, I guess we made the mistake of being too generous" to cover the discourse of critique here. I see that you originally quoted production cost as
the main issue. Customers stating this possibly could have been remedied by X, Y, and Z, you then throw that concept in potential purchasers faces. Forgive me, but I don't get it.

Lastly, no one said Rebor was a bad company in this discussion. That comment is bringing over hard feelings from a completely different thread. If anything, the discussion here is that people were enthusiastic and excited for this product and are now concerned over updated images (regardless of the explanation for them) that may turn the figure against what they would like add to their collections. If its not sold out I may still yet get one to see it in hand myself as I really would like to add the model to my collection if it is better than the latest images show. I still hope for the latter but will need to see this alternative before I commit to buying it.

Now I am done.  ;)

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2024, 01:04:16 AM

Yeah but why though? We have their products in our collections and honestly they just average figures yet people give them way more praise than they deserve, you know why? Cus they usually make large and crazy expensive figures that literally cost an arm and a leg so whenever they make something smaller say 1:35 or 1:10 scale animal figures people would still see them with the same mindset therefore thinking that it's a steal without realising they've been overcharged.

Off the book-who makes a better Legendary Godzilla figure, Hiya or Bandai SHM? Cus from a manufacturer's point of view we can tell that their budgets are roughly the same yet Hiya figures' sculpts and paint apps are way better than Bandai SHM's offerings yet they only cost a third of Bandai's listing prices. Sure people can argue that they are in different niches, Hiya is more like NECA while Bandai is the juggernaut who created the Tamagotchi in the 90s and many other legends, however we are really buying products rather than brands aren't we? It's just like a 2 quid cotton pillow case would cost 10 times more if it has John Lewis' logo on the packaging and people would still buy it. It's a funny world we live in.

Faelrin

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO Thanks for the reminder of that pic. My memory is like non existent, lol. I double checked in case it was the one I saw on instagram earlier, and that it was. I did think they looked really good there. The red still looks a bit less vibrant (when directly comparing it to the prototype pics taken with a black background), but maybe in hand it will be better? In any case I suppose I can refrain from further judgement until I have it in my hands. Per the flat lighting of the review video, I don't have the Smildon so don't have anything to compare it too, but I can try to look at other reviews, or in hand pics to see the difference it makes. Also maybe unpopular opinion, but I'm still glad it has optional heads. As a note my Neca American werewolf has two heads, and I frequently switch them out depending on the mood I want it in. Same reason I'm glad the Cyberzoic Smilodon will have them (or the previous Rebor one).

I consider Star Ace/XPlus a different a niche, not because of product quality, or type of products, but purely because of price. Rebor's are at least at that affordable mark for me. While I do appreciate they do some vintage Harryhausen stuff, they are way out of my budget, especially with how much else I juggle around with collecting.

Here is it is in case it wasn't shared prior, and folks didn't see it yet:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 14, 2024, 02:39:36 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2024, 01:04:16 AM

Yeah but why though? We have their products in our collections and honestly they just average figures yet people give them way more praise than they deserve, you know why? Cus they usually make large and crazy expensive figures that literally cost an arm and a leg so whenever they make something smaller say 1:35 or 1:10 scale animal figures people would still see them with the same mindset therefore thinking that it's a steal without realising they've been overcharged.

Off the book-who makes a better Legendary Godzilla figure, Hiya or Bandai SHM? Cus from a manufacturer's point of view we can tell that their budgets are roughly the same yet Hiya figures' sculpts and paint apps are way better than Bandai SHM's offerings yet they only cost a third of Bandai's listing prices. Sure people can argue that they are in different niches, Hiya is more like NECA while Bandai is the juggernaut who created the Tamagotchi in the 90s and many other legends, however we are really buying products rather than brands aren't we? It's just like a 2 quid cotton pillow case would cost 10 times more if it has John Lewis' logo on the packaging and people would still buy it. It's a funny world we live in.

Mostly in discussing XPlus, I have Godzilla and Harryhausen pieces. Most of the reason those seem to get praise is no one else is making anything for them aside from resin kits or toys. That's charging in regards to Godzilla properties. Harryhausen is still pretty well stuck there. So they can ask what they like when they are the only ones making a licensed product in a niche market. I've also not bought all of them due to some creative choices they have made.

Branding certainly plays a part, we are a race who wants what others tell us to want. I do not currently own any of the Hiya or SHM Godzilla figures, but of the two I've seen reviews of Hiya seems to win out. Bandai on the other hand has better distribution I'm sure so they do better. Just like Schleich vs CollectA or Safari. Who has the better product?  Bandai also has been at this longer so they have a larger lineup when it comes to collecting..for now. 

dragon53

Blade-of-the-Moon

Andy's review certainly makes them look better than the initial review. He did point out the painted teeth and the wonky eyes, but the paint does look much better.

Saarlooswolfhound

I personally am still not impressed with the dark shading/patterning (on either model), but the red shows through much better in this video.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on February 01, 2024, 10:13:30 PMI personally am still not impressed with the dark shading/patterning (on either model), but the red shows through much better in this video.

Cameras didn't pick up all those subtle paint apps applied especially on the fantasy version, there are actually dark grey, light grey, brown and dark yellow transitions between the dark shadings and the white base colour, we can barely see them in the video but we know they are definitely there. Also the dark stripes around the shoulder area are greatly exaggerated in the video presumably caused by exposure issues since dark objects tend to look much darker against light backgrounds and vice versa.

bmathison1972

Faelrin

B @bmathison1972 Yeah I take back my skepticism and earlier remarks based on the one review. The coloring looks really good after all, and it looks magnificent in your image.

Already sold out on BBTS as well. That was fast. Any other retailers getting this one? I did see it was available on Aliexpress still. Though I am wondering if avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen will get it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on February 06, 2024, 02:51:37 AMB @bmathison1972 Yeah I take back my skepticism and earlier remarks based on the one review. The coloring looks really good after all, and it looks magnificent in your image.

Already sold out on BBTS as well. That was fast. Any other retailers getting this one? I did see it was available on Aliexpress still. Though I am wondering if avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen will get it?

Nice pic. Well we know Rebor said it was very limited, though they also said it was sold out on BBTS when it wasn't as of yet. So I'm not sure. You could email HH and see?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: