News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 02, 2022, 08:23:04 PM
Doug, just want to say thanks for giving us insights into your process and being willing to engage with the community even though I'm sure it's not always rewarding.
You are welcome, I wasn't going to comment for a long while but then all the criticism of the claws got me looking at more reference and I was amazed how many papers including some fairly recent ones detailed sauropod track evidence that clearly shows impressions of 4 claws on sauropod feet from the Jurassic and the Cretaceous. I may have made that forth claw a bit too big but now looking at the bones and sauropod ichnology I am even more convinced it could have had a forth claw.

Grimbeard

The models looks really nice in the videos, especially the all the small skin details.

It will be a tough choice for me this year between Safaris Patagotitan and Eofauna Diplodocus of which large sauropod I will get this year (both would be a bit much for my taste,), I will wait until videos of Eofauna Dilpo are avaiable until I take a final verdict.

and thanks avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson for his insight for some of the design choices, always interesting to read about the background of a specific figure.

Flaffy

Quote from: Grimbeard on March 06, 2022, 12:31:10 PM
The models looks really nice in the videos, especially the all the small skin details.

I too am very impressed with the skin details. And significantly less detail smudging this time around compared to the 2021 releases.
I wonder if it's because Safari improved/adapted their molding process to accommodate working with a more rigid material?

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Flaffy on March 06, 2022, 01:45:37 PM
Quote from: Grimbeard on March 06, 2022, 12:31:10 PM

I too am very impressed with the skin details. And significantly less detail smudging this time around compared to the 2021 releases.
I wonder if it's because Safari improved/adapted their molding process to accommodate working with a more rigid material?

I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you and the image you wanted me to take. After I had said I was going to take the image for you I went looking on my safari Ltd shelf and can't locate the camarasaurus. I'm not positive where I put it but I'm going to look in my old storage area. You may have just made me come to the realization that when I pulled a lot of stuff out of my storage area to put on display there may be a box or two of other figures still sitting there that I missed because the camarasaurus has to be sitting in one of them. Makes me wonder what other figures I have sitting over there that I forgot about. Once I locate it I will definitely take that picture for you!

Shane

Hi,

I snapped these photos the other day, when someone on Andy's video made a comment that the Malawisaurus and Patagotitan were "exactly the same size" and figured they might be useful here.

Please keep in mind there is always some distortion in photographs but hopefully this helps someone.

CityRaptor

Yeah, those two are for sure "exactly the same size".  For the supposedly most intelligent species on the planet humans are pretty dumb.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shane

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 07, 2022, 03:00:32 PM
Yeah, those two are for sure "exactly the same size".  For the supposedly most intelligent species on the planet humans are pretty dumb.

I more did it just as a personal exercise so that I could better note in future discussions just how different they are (easily 3 inches, not accounting for the curvature of the Patagotitan's neck).

The video shows them arranged in a way where you could think they were more similar in size than they actually are, but the "exactly" qualifier is your typical reactionary hyperbole.

But since I had the pics, I figured I could drop them here to answer most of the forum's sauropod size comparison queries.

Faelrin

S @Shane Thanks, those were really helpful. I've actually been curious about how the Camarasaurus sizes up next to the Apatosaurus for a while now, since I am behind on that one.

While I do wish the Patagotitan was bigger because of it being such a large titanosaur, I guess the size here makes sense considering keeping the cost down and size down for retailers. Maybe I'll try to pick it up after all, whenever I can get around to my next Safari order and after it goes in stock. Though I do also want to wait until more 2022 figures are revealed/in stock first since I like to order enough to get free shipping.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Thanks for the photos again, S @Shane; that's a great lineup of Safari sauropods.
While not as impressively hefty as the Camarasaurus (or the Amarga or Apato, honestly), the Patagotitan still looks like a respectfully large figure.

Flaffy

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on March 06, 2022, 05:36:14 PM
I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you and the image you wanted me to take. After I had said I was going to take the image for you I went looking on my safari Ltd shelf and can't locate the camarasaurus. I'm not positive where I put it but I'm going to look in my old storage area. You may have just made me come to the realization that when I pulled a lot of stuff out of my storage area to put on display there may be a box or two of other figures still sitting there that I missed because the camarasaurus has to be sitting in one of them. Makes me wonder what other figures I have sitting over there that I forgot about. Once I locate it I will definitely take that picture for you!

Hi Andy! No worries if you don't find the Camarasaurus. ^-^ And I can absolutely relate to the frustration of trying to locate a specific figure in a sea of boxes. It's like trying to find a pin in a haystack sometimes.

Quote from: Shane on March 07, 2022, 01:59:56 PM
Hi,

I snapped these photos the other day, when someone on Andy's video made a comment that the Malawisaurus and Patagotitan were "exactly the same size" and figured they might be useful here.

Please keep in mind there is always some distortion in photographs but hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks for the pictures S @Shane! The comparison is very helpful.

I still find it a bit of a shame that the Patagotitan doesn't match the Camarasaurus in body size.

Another thing, could the Patagotitan have had a more rotund mid-section? I could've sworn that Titanosaurs were infamous for their "beer bellies". A good example to illustrate what I mean is the sheer girth of the Safari Malawisaurus figure, it literally bulges out when viewed from the front.

suspsy

This is precisely why I wish Safari and other companies would focus more on smaller, weirder-looking sauropods rather than the very large ones.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: suspsy on March 07, 2022, 08:45:43 PM
This is precisely why I wish Safari and other companies would focus more on smaller, weirder-looking sauropods rather than the very large ones.
On that note, what i'd give for some up-to-date prosauropods...

suspsy

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on March 08, 2022, 05:09:40 AM

Same. Plateosaurus is obvious, but Aardonyx, Melanorosaurus, and Riojasaurus also warrant toys.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 08, 2022, 02:15:31 PM
Let's not forget Eoraptor.
YES. On that (other) note, triassic animals in general are SO underrepresented.

Faelrin

Yeah I've been waiting years for an Eoraptor figure (and Herrerasaurus as well). Has been one of my favorite dinosaurs since I was a child and played the GBA Jurassic Park III Park Builder game. Massospondylus would be another good choice for a sauropodomorph, but of course I would prefer Plateosaurus first, because of its ties to the Carnegie Collection and also WWD.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Faelrin on March 08, 2022, 04:14:30 PM
Yeah I've been waiting years for an Eoraptor figure (and Herrerasaurus as well). Has been one of my favorite dinosaurs since I was a child and played the GBA Jurassic Park III Park Builder game. Massospondylus would be another good choice for a sauropodomorph, but of course I would prefer Plateosaurus first, because of its ties to the Carnegie Collection and also WWD.
Indeed. An Eoraptor or Herrerasaurus would be an instant buy from me, and a sauropodomorph nothing could stop me from getting.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: suspsy on March 08, 2022, 01:49:52 PM

Same. Plateosaurus is obvious, but Aardonyx, Melanorosaurus, and Riojasaurus also warrant toys.

I second this. EVERYBODY does Plateosaurus if they do a sauropodomorph. I'd like to see a different one once in a while. I'd also add the entire Lessemsaur family to this list, even though somebody told me recently that they are actually true basal sauropods rather than "prosauropod" sauropodomorphs.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on March 11, 2022, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: suspsy on March 08, 2022, 01:49:52 PM

I second this. EVERYBODY does Plateosaurus if they do a sauropodomorph. I'd like to see a different one once in a while. I'd also add the entire Lessemsaur family to this list, even though somebody told me recently that they are actually true basal sauropods rather than "prosauropod" sauropodomorphs.
> EVERYBODY does Plateosaurus if they do a sauropodomorph

There are like two affordable Plateo figures...
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: