News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Diplodocus carnegii "CATCH THE RAINBOW" & "STARGAZER"

Started by GojiraGuy1954, May 07, 2022, 01:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Faelrin on July 08, 2023, 04:36:13 PMavatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO I think it's also important to be honest when you've made a mistake, or you know just be transparent it isn't intended to be fully scientifically accurate from the start, because of the added artistic license. Being able to take constructive criticism is also important for any company or artist to grow. If people share scientific papers (if accessible) take the time to read and learn from them, so you can do better next time. I do a lot of that just for my reviews now, and I'm certainly not out here making figures.

Your new Spinosaurus for example does have an issue with the feet atm. The first toe should be weight bearing, but you've fallen into the trap of sculpting it like any other theropod foot which is incorrect. It may be minor, but if you are truly trying to go for a scientifically accurate model, you need to fix that.

Look at Haolonggood. After recieving feedback the hands were incorrect they actually updated the model to now have them. I'm not saying you need to go that far (update molds) but it pays better to be receptive then defensive in situations like this when you can clearly do better.

Edit: I'm saying this also as someone, or customer, or fan, or whatever, who does enjoy and buy your models on occasions (I mean I collect a ton of things, so obviously not all the time), and this Diplodocus is still on my wishlist. I want to display it next to the Ceratosaurus, and the Woodland Stegosaurus I pre-ordered on BBTS, since I missed it back when it initially released.

We use base tools such as standard theropod feet to quickly get proportions right then they'll be adjusted to match the skeleton, don't worry those first digits now touch the ground since the T-pose is almost finished.

We said it many times and we'll say it again: with all do respect we are not opening to any form of suggestions or criticisms whether they are correct or incorrect, friendly or unfriendly, constructive or destructive cus we want to make our works 100% ours and we don't want people steal our fun.

Yes what Haolonggood did is certainly honourable and worth promoting and I'm completely agree with everything you said. It's just that we are not them.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2023, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on July 08, 2023, 03:33:43 PMSeems like the previous PR manager for Rebor got rehired. :P

That PR manager just happened to be the very founder and sole owner and the only decision maker of REBOR. I never left and this is my 9th year on this forum  ;D

I think Flaffy is referring to this post

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 23, 2015, 08:40:04 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 23, 2015, 08:10:16 AMSorry Mr rebor I just couldnt resist....lol.

My mistake, no worries, and it's Miss REBOR Now, yeah!!  :)) actually I can't really represent the company, but since that "hated representative" is not coming back (he is a very nice person in real life), I guess I'll answer questions whenever I have time :)

So, even if it was a momentary absence and later you came back, doesn't seem like you ever mentioned it. Just saying...

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Mattyonyx on July 08, 2023, 05:31:49 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2023, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on July 08, 2023, 03:33:43 PMSeems like the previous PR manager for Rebor got rehired. :P

That PR manager just happened to be the very founder and sole owner and the only decision maker of REBOR. I never left and this is my 9th year on this forum  ;D

I think Flaffy is referring to this post

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 23, 2015, 08:40:04 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 23, 2015, 08:10:16 AMSorry Mr rebor I just couldnt resist....lol.

My mistake, no worries, and it's Miss REBOR Now, yeah!!  :)) actually I can't really represent the company, but since that "hated representative" is not coming back (he is a very nice person in real life), I guess I'll answer questions whenever I have time :)

So, even if it was a momentary absence and later you came back, doesn't seem like you ever mentioned it. Just saying...

3 people are using this account right now and trust me they are convincing me to let it go  ;D 

Miss REBOR left by the way, her name is Anne and she works for British Vogue. She was depressed after people sent us death threats cus we refuse to send them free samples. I haven't saw her comment until now :'(

Faelrin

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO As far as the Spinosaurus thing, that makes sense to use a base generic model as a starting point to refine from there, especially to save time, and effort then doing it all from scratch. In any case, that's good to know, and I look forward to seeing the refined model from here (especially since it seems like it may be the first Spinosaurus model brought to market to actually have lips, etc).

Per the other stuff, I think if you are not receptive to any form of criticism or feedback, including constructive stuff, then I think it would be good not to engage in defending the models inaccuracies, with stuff that like doesn't actually justify them (such as from an expert in the relevant field-paleontologist that specializes on sauropod anatomy, for example).

That said I totally get you have your own sort of style (I mean have been collecting your models for years now), and it is good to emphasize that paleo accuracy isn't your end goal here, even if you do seem to be moving into that direction sort of. I mean some of the recent figures are quite a departure from the recent heavily stylized Saurophaganax for example. I do appreciate moving things to be more paleo accurate, even if it isn't all the way, as like say PNSO (lacks of lips aside, which means you have a slight advantage over them in that regard at least), or BotM, Safari Ltd, etc. Maybe it is your frequent use of using "Museum Class Replica" that is throwing people off, even though yes, you have emphasized again and again you do your own thing? I mean it's not nearly as bad as I guess Schleich who has sold their figures as being educational in the past. Then again even museums out there still have mounts behind the times, because they can't afford to update them, or whatever, so maybe it still works in a way lol. I think it's also just a result of the majority on this forum are purely interested in scientifically accurate models only (and static models, since BotM is the former, but not static, also way above the typical preferred 1:35 and so, and so they tend to do poorly in the yearly polls), and those that have more tolerance for inaccurate stuff are the minority here (like with the Mattel stuff, etc).

Honestly it's that kind of in between the lines, where I keep my Rebor models to their own sort of collection. I do the same with BotM and Mattel as well, away from like the bulk of the rest of my other collection stuff. They look all great when together (like the Ceratosaurus, Diplodocus, and Stegosaurus example I mentioned earlier), but they don't always fit well with stuff from other brands that is more scientifically rigorous.

That said now that I think of it, would you ever considered doing updated (lipped) versions of the Acrocanthosaurus and Yutyrannus (lipped and fully feathered) to fit in with some of these recent models? I'm still kind of bummed I missed out on the original Acrocanthosaurus for my Deinonychus trio. At least the Tenontosaurus corpse is still available atm, since I'm still way behind on picking that one up too. There is of course PNSO's now, or previously, Papo's, but I'd love to see you do a new lipped one, that could pair with the Deinonychus clan. But I know you still have to finish that Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus, the dire wolf, and others, so I imagine it could be quite a while before you could do new versions of those.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2023, 05:17:55 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on July 08, 2023, 04:36:13 PMavatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO I think it's also important to be honest when you've made a mistake, or you know just be transparent it isn't intended to be fully scientifically accurate from the start, because of the added artistic license. Being able to take constructive criticism is also important for any company or artist to grow. If people share scientific papers (if accessible) take the time to read and learn from them, so you can do better next time. I do a lot of that just for my reviews now, and I'm certainly not out here making figures.

Your new Spinosaurus for example does have an issue with the feet atm. The first toe should be weight bearing, but you've fallen into the trap of sculpting it like any other theropod foot which is incorrect. It may be minor, but if you are truly trying to go for a scientifically accurate model, you need to fix that.

Look at Haolonggood. After recieving feedback the hands were incorrect they actually updated the model to now have them. I'm not saying you need to go that far (update molds) but it pays better to be receptive then defensive in situations like this when you can clearly do better.

Edit: I'm saying this also as someone, or customer, or fan, or whatever, who does enjoy and buy your models on occasions (I mean I collect a ton of things, so obviously not all the time), and this Diplodocus is still on my wishlist. I want to display it next to the Ceratosaurus, and the Woodland Stegosaurus I pre-ordered on BBTS, since I missed it back when it initially released.

We use base tools such as standard theropod feet to quickly get proportions right then they'll be adjusted to match the skeleton, don't worry those first digits now touch the ground since the T-pose is almost finished.

We said it many times and we'll say it again: with all do respect we are not opening to any form of suggestions or criticisms whether they are correct or incorrect, friendly or unfriendly, constructive or destructive cus we want to make our works 100% ours and we don't want people steal our fun.

Yes what Haolonggood did is certainly honourable and worth promoting and I'm completely agree with everything you said. It's just that we are not them.

I was considering to purchase the Rebor Diplodocus, not least because it received a quite positive review from Dinos Dragons. I was still undecided, because I am generally not in favor of models that come in parts that need to be assembled. But reading this discussion now and realizing what tone and attitude the representatives of Rebor shows in this forum discussion, I will not buy this product now. Although I would love to have a 1:35 Diplodocus. But I do not want to support a company with this attitude towards their customer base. If I compare the behavior of the Rebor representative with that of the always friendly and attentive guy from Haolonggood, this makes for a real difference. There is a reason that Haolonggood is such a rising star in this market. They listen to the community and experts, they take the wishes of their customers into consideration and they have the confidence to accept when they make mistakes and even correct them. How can the representative of Rebor just bluntly state here that he does not care what the customers think?

Lynx

I'm definitely going to be getting this for Christmas! I think this model is really cool, it reminds me of the Battat Diplodocus! I only have one other big sauropod which is the Carnegie version, so I'm really hoping I can get this guy later this year.  ;D

I'm glad for a bendy wire tail since I don't have nearly enough space for the whole thing to sit one end to the other, so being able to bend the tail to free up space helps a lot, plus it just looks cool.

I forgot if this went into the final product or not, but has anyone tried seeing how far the neck can bend up/down?
An oversized house cat.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Faelrin on July 08, 2023, 06:22:36 PMavatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO As far as the Spinosaurus thing, that makes sense to use a base generic model as a starting point to refine from there, especially to save time, and effort then doing it all from scratch. In any case, that's good to know, and I look forward to seeing the refined model from here (especially since it seems like it may be the first Spinosaurus model brought to market to actually have lips, etc).

Per the other stuff, I think if you are not receptive to any form of criticism or feedback, including constructive stuff, then I think it would be good not to engage in defending the models inaccuracies, with stuff that like doesn't actually justify them (such as from an expert in the relevant field-paleontologist that specializes on sauropod anatomy, for example).

That said I totally get you have your own sort of style (I mean have been collecting your models for years now), and it is good to emphasize that paleo accuracy isn't your end goal here, even if you do seem to be moving into that direction sort of. I mean some of the recent figures are quite a departure from the recent heavily stylized Saurophaganax for example. I do appreciate moving things to be more paleo accurate, even if it isn't all the way, as like say PNSO (lacks of lips aside, which means you have a slight advantage over them in that regard at least), or BotM, Safari Ltd, etc. Maybe it is your frequent use of using "Museum Class Replica" that is throwing people off, even though yes, you have emphasized again and again you do your own thing? I mean it's not nearly as bad as I guess Schleich who has sold their figures as being educational in the past. Then again even museums out there still have mounts behind the times, because they can't afford to update them, or whatever, so maybe it still works in a way lol. I think it's also just a result of the majority on this forum are purely interested in scientifically accurate models only (and static models, since BotM is the former, but not static, also way above the typical preferred 1:35 and so, and so they tend to do poorly in the yearly polls), and those that have more tolerance for inaccurate stuff are the minority here (like with the Mattel stuff, etc).

Honestly it's that kind of in between the lines, where I keep my Rebor models to their own sort of collection. I do the same with BotM and Mattel as well, away from like the bulk of the rest of my other collection stuff. They look all great when together (like the Ceratosaurus, Diplodocus, and Stegosaurus example I mentioned earlier), but they don't always fit well with stuff from other brands that is more scientifically rigorous.

That said now that I think of it, would you ever considered doing updated (lipped) versions of the Acrocanthosaurus and Yutyrannus (lipped and fully feathered) to fit in with some of these recent models? I'm still kind of bummed I missed out on the original Acrocanthosaurus for my Deinonychus trio. At least the Tenontosaurus corpse is still available atm, since I'm still way behind on picking that one up too. There is of course PNSO's now, or previously, Papo's, but I'd love to see you do a new lipped one, that could pair with the Deinonychus clan. But I know you still have to finish that Giganotosaurus, Spinosaurus, the dire wolf, and others, so I imagine it could be quite a while before you could do new versions of those.

You are leaking our 10th anniversary releases ;)

Faelrin

That would definitely be nice to see, like next year I'm guessing? But like I said in due time. I know you got a lot.

Here's everything I'm aware of still in progress (now that Sarcosuchus is up for pre-order):

-GNG01 Komodo Dragon (re-release or repaint?)
-GNG06 Pinta Island tortoise/Lonesome George
-GNG07 Alligator "Bizkit" Downpour Ver.
-GNG08 Alligator "Bizkit" Basking Ver.
-Dire Wolf "Low Roar" (accurate and fantasy versions)
-Giganotosaurus "Cars" (regular and JWD-inspired "Ultimate Lifeform" versions)
-Spinosaurus "Dio"
-Zombie T. rex "Cannibal Corpse" (is this something that will actually release later on, or just a for fun thing?)
-Tyrannosaurus "Killer Queen Requiem" & "Sheer Heart Attack"
-The Beelzebufo (not sure if this is also something that will actually be released?)

There's some other stuff going farther back, like 2021 and beyond, but I haven't seen anything else since on those, like the retro Ceratosaurus, various Pteranodon sculpts, Carnotaurus repaints, the Primal Rage Diablo repaint, etc.

Edit: Just saw you posted an updated in progress pic of the Spinosaurus, with the correct feet. Yes! Love to see that. Can't wait for this to release. Wonder what the colorations will be like? Like will you re-use the colors from the canceled GNG versions, or something brand new?

REBOR_STUDIO

-GNG01 Komodo Dragon (re-release or repaint?)

Re-release

Already finished and waiting to be shipped.

Shipping this September

Stock images will be reveal later this month

WIP

-Spinosaurus "Dio"

WIP, haven't decided the colour schemes yet

-Zombie T. rex "Cannibal Corpse" (is this something that will actually release later on, or just a for fun thing?)

Preorder will open this Halloween

Next year

-The Beelzebufo (not sure if this is also something that will actually be released?)

Testing ball joints since it will be fully articualted

Leyster

Dear avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO

avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx told me you're still wondering for the head thing. It's Tschopp, Mateus, Marzola & Norell, 2018 on diplodocid head tegument. Which is shared at least among Neosauropoda, since Camarasaurus too has something like that (Wiersma & Sanders, 2017) (thanks to avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy for helping me with it!). Still don't know why I'm telling you this, since you never answered about the papers disproving your forelimb anatomy nor posted anything meaningful supporting your restoration. This while calling two entire posts "failing to point out any deliberate mistakes we made"... ok. If there is somebody here "shoehorning in any excuses he can come up with to support his narrative", that one is you.

Also, one more thing you got wrong:

This was well before your behaviour surfaced (multiple times) here.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2023, 08:21:22 PM-GNG01 Komodo Dragon (re-release or repaint?)

Re-release

Shipping this September

WIP

-Spinosaurus "Dio"

Next year

Sounds like a LOT of cool items. I hope BBTS also stocks the new Grab and Go pieces too.

I'm not taking anyone's sides just wanted to point out that I think anything involving prehistoric life can be called Paleo art. There are a lot of mediums out there, accurate or not it's still art.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoart

Carnoking

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 09, 2023, 06:20:38 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on July 08, 2023, 08:21:22 PM-GNG01 Komodo Dragon (re-release or repaint?)

Re-release

Shipping this September

WIP

-Spinosaurus "Dio"

Next year

Sounds like a LOT of cool items. I hope BBTS also stocks the new Grab and Go pieces too.

I'm not taking anyone's sides just wanted to point out that I think anything involving prehistoric life can be called Paleo art. There are a lot of mediums out there, accurate or not it's still art.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoart

Preorder for Lonesome George will open this Monday on BBTS, alligators are also coming this September.

Talking about Lonesome George did you know that we got sued by a certain American taxidermist, sculptor and naturalist? This splendid gentleman was fully aware that he did not own the copy right of Lonesome George and as an experienced sculpt he was certainly able to tell the difference between our sculpt and his "death mask" of the animal yet he still sent us a lawyer's letter accusing us for plagiarising his work and threatening us about "upcoming consequences". Since we are a "bad company" we did what we must and the outcome was satisfying to say the least ;)

Faelrin

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO I'm just realizing the response I meant to post yesterday never posted. If I had to guess I probably closed the tab out before I actually posted it. Oops.

Anyways wanted to say, I appreciate the responses to that stuff. Glad to see some of it is still in the works. I compiled a thread of all the unreleased stuff here (rather it will release later, or was just a for fun thing), in case it's helpful for folks. If there's anything I missed, or need to correct, feel free to chime in I guess.

Really hoping the Beelzebufo thing can work out, including the ball jointed stuff. Would it sort of be like the Bandai pacman frogs that released recently?

Considering it was downsized recently (per wikipedia, snout-vent length went from 42.5 cm-23.2 cm), you could probably make one life sized too (assuming it would be feasible, but I suppose even something slightly smaller might still work as a 1;1 smaller individual):

Though I did see from the initial post that it was intended to be 1:2 scale which is still a good scale choice. I think there's definitely some demand for this out there now, from the exposure it got in Prehistoric Planet Series 1 & 2, if not prior from it being from the same formation as Majungasaurus, Masiakasaurus, Simosuchus, etc, and also featuring in Ark: Survival Evolved. Prehistoric amphibians rarely get represented as it is. Best on hand I can think of include the long retired Play Visions figures (which I picked up earlier this year), Kaiyodo's (also retired), and CollectA's Koolasuchus that released this year.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Faelrin on July 09, 2023, 10:29:28 PMavatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO I'm just realizing the response I meant to post yesterday never posted. If I had to guess I probably closed the tab out before I actually posted it. Oops.

Anyways wanted to say, I appreciate the responses to that stuff. Glad to see some of it is still in the works. I compiled a thread of all the unreleased stuff here (rather it will release later, or was just a for fun thing), in case it's helpful for folks. If there's anything I missed, or need to correct, feel free to chime in I guess.

Really hoping the Beelzebufo thing can work out, including the ball jointed stuff. Would it sort of be like the Bandai pacman frogs that released recently?

Considering it was downsized recently (per wikipedia, snout-vent length went from 42.5 cm-23.2 cm), you could probably make one life sized too (assuming it would be feasible, but I suppose even something slightly smaller might still work as a 1;1 smaller individual):

Though I did see from the initial post that it was intended to be 1:2 scale which is still a good scale choice. I think there's definitely some demand for this out there now, from the exposure it got in Prehistoric Planet Series 1 & 2, if not prior from it being from the same formation as Majungasaurus, Masiakasaurus, Simosuchus, etc, and also featuring in Ark: Survival Evolved. Prehistoric amphibians rarely get represented as it is. Best on hand I can think of include the long retired Play Visions figures (which I picked up earlier this year), Kaiyodo's (also retired), and CollectA's Koolasuchus that released this year.

Beelzebufo can grow up to 40-45cm. If Lonesome George and Bizkit did well then we might as well do a life size Beelzebufo after GNG 09 which is a Rhinoceros iguana.

Lynx

I would gladly buy one, everyone needs a fat frog in their room.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO Where did you get the 40-45cm estimate from? This bit on wikipedia is what I was referencing earlier above.

QuoteIn early studies, it is suggested that snout-vent lengths of up to 42.5 cm (16.7 in).[4] But in later studies, animals of this species estimated to have grown to at least 23.2 cm (9.1 in) (snout-vent length), which is around the size a modern African bullfrog can reach.[6] The head of Beelzebufo was very big,[6] and bones of the skull roof show a rugous external surface, indicating at least parts of the head may have borne bony scales, called scutes.
The skull sutures are open in even the largest specimens of Beelzebufo, showing that it might have grown even bigger.[6]
To be fair I haven't really read any papers on Beelzebufo, let alone its size so, I'm not really sure what's the standard for it these days. Honestly though it isn't really a huge deal to me what the figures scale is though, and what size estimate you guys end up going with, so much as what the figures size is I guess, and like a cool figure of this animal out there for once. I mean considering there are no options currently for Beezlebufo, gotta take what you can get.

Renecito

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd say bigger the better.  Of course it has to have a baby dino to devour too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: