News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

retro dinosaur models...

Started by dyno77, July 06, 2022, 08:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

https://imgur.com/gallery/lAyvgO8

Above is the link to a selection of old dinosaur photos ,the first 2 photos has amnh models sculpted by various artists including C.Knight...the question iv got is what happened to these models?
There is pretty much no info in these old amnh models,but being a enthusiast of dinosaur models iv speculated a few things,but idk for sure since theres next to nothing unless some member that knows the history of every dinosaur model sculpted by major museums..my only guess is that they either sold of or stored away in the storage rooms....
Even further below is some older dinosaur models by the nhm london,around 1930s..the wereabouts of these also are unknown but the later versions the 1960s/1970s sculpts are on display since iv saw them a while back,but the older 1930s models whereabouts are unknown...

Crackington

Great idea for a thread avatar_dyno77 @dyno77!

I think you'll be right, that some models will be stored away by the museums, though some lost and others sold.

Mike Howgate, the veteran Uk Dino-collector and retired UCL palaeontologist, had some interesting articles in Prehistoric Times recently and in particular about Vernon Edwards, the 1930s UK sculptor who made many of the old London Natural History Museum models.

Some are still on display in different parts of the UK including UCL's Grant Museum:

https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/tag/vernon-edwards/

Mike also mentioned attending an auction with Grant Museum staff where one of Edward's models was on sale, but this was unfortunately out of reach for the UCL museum.

I'll keep my eyes out for this UCL cephalapsis next time I visit there.

Gwangi

I think I saw some of these on display at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. I would have to go through my pictures to know for sure, it was 15 years ago.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.