News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Aquatic animal diorama

Started by Strepsodus, September 15, 2022, 01:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strepsodus

If I were to try and photograph a Dunkleosteus figure (or any aquatic animal) in a realistic environment without getting the figure wet and risking damage to any of my models how would I do that?

Lynx

Well, there are two ways.

1. Don't use a figure that is damaged by water (afaik PNSO and Papo figures are durable in it), or quickly dip a figure under the water and don't rub the paint. If you are well aware it can not tolerate water at all, try idea 2.

2. Use the wonderful power of editing. First, take an underwater picture, and make sure you have a good grip on the lighting. With a green screen (or simply cropping a photo of the figure, you can then make it appear (with some brightness changes) as if it were there.
An oversized house cat.

irimali

There's a a video and an article here: 

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/14/how-to-shoot-underwater-portraits-without-anyone-getting-wet/

on how to cheat the lighting.  Not sure how well it would work with a small figure though.  You can use smoke (theatre supply companies sell smoke in a spray can) and blue tinted lights for a bigger underwater scene.  Another trick that might help, if you're using a lamp or a spotlight is to shine it through a sheet of paper or fabric.  That can help diffuse the light and soften highlights and shadows. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.