You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which 1:18 smallish Beasts of the Mesozoic figures would we like?

Started by Sim, October 03, 2022, 07:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like represented as a 1:18 BotM figure?

Acheroraptor (small)
12 (36.4%)
Atrociraptor (small)
7 (21.2%)
Balaur (small)
8 (24.2%)
Dilong (small)
14 (42.4%)
Pyroraptor (small)
5 (15.2%)
Saurornithoides (small)
8 (24.2%)
Saurornitholestes (small)
8 (24.2%)
Tsaagan (small)
4 (12.1%)
Zhenyuanlong (small)
11 (33.3%)
Bagaceratops (small)
13 (39.4%)
Cerasinops (small)
9 (27.3%)
Graciliceratops (small)
11 (33.3%)
Leptoceratops (small)
20 (60.6%)
Montanoceratops (small)
9 (27.3%)
Prenoceratops (small)
10 (30.3%)
Psittacosaurus lujiatunensis (small)
8 (24.2%)
Psittacosaurus sibiricus (small)
8 (24.2%)
Turanoceratops (small)
11 (33.3%)
Buitreraptor, Microraptor, Mononykus (mini set)
17 (51.5%)
Halszkaraptor, Sinornithosaurus, Sinosauropteryx (mini set)
21 (63.6%)
Adasaurus (medium)
3 (9.1%)
Stenonychosaurus (medium)
8 (24.2%)
Tianyuraptor (medium)
7 (21.2%)
Zanabazar (medium)
7 (21.2%)
Udanoceratops (medium)
9 (27.3%)
Ornitholestes (small)
8 (24.2%)
Nanosaurus (small)
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Sim

Since David Silva has expressed interest in making more of the raptor series figures and Dilong in 1:18 scale, I thought it could be fun and interesting to see what we'd like.

As David has made an equal number of plant-eaters to meat-eaters when releasing small dinosaur figures, in addition to the small meat-eaters I've listed an equal number of small plant-eaters.  The plant-eaters are mostly species David planned to make for the ceratopsian series, but they can all share parts with the existing 1:18 ceratopsians.  I've added the troodontid Saurornithoides as an option too as it can share all its parts except the head with 1:18 raptor series figures, and I think it would make a great figure.

I've also added options for mini (toob-sized) figures which David has said would lack articulation.  I've grouped these species in sets of three, one set being the three small raptor series species and the other three being new species.  One species from each set could share their sculpture except for the head and tail (Microraptor and Sinornithosaurus).  The new species were picked from suggestions in the Creative Beast hopes and dreams thread.

Finally I've also listed species that could share parts with Deinonychus.  They are the "medium" sized ones in the poll.

Sim

In case it's of interest, here are the other BotM animals each species in the poll lived alongside:

Acheroraptor, Leptoceratops: Pachycephalosaurus, Torosaurus, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus
Adasaurus, Mononykus, Zanabazar: Tarbosaurus
Atrociraptor, Montanoceratops: Albertosaurus
Bagaceratops: Linheraptor, Protoceratops h., Velociraptor o.
Balaur: None currently
Buitreraptor: None currently
Cerasinops, Prenoceratops, Stenonychosaurus: Edmontonia, Einiosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Styracosaurus
Dilong, Psittacosaurus lujiatunensis, Sinornithosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Tianyuraptor, Zhenyuanlong: Yutyrannus
Graciliceratops: Achillobator, Alectrosaurus
Halszkaraptor, Saurornithoides, Tsaagan: Protoceratops a., Protoceratops h., Velociraptor m.
Microraptor: Psittacosaurus m.
Montanoceratops only: Regaliceratops
Psittacosaurus sibiricus: None currently
Pyroraptor: None currently
Saurornitholestes: Bistahieversor, Pentaceratops
Stenonychosaurus only: Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Dromaeosaurus, Edmontonia, Gorgosaurus, Saurornitholestes l., Styracosaurus
Turanoceratops: None currently

Duck

I personally would like some Abelisaurs

Other then that I'm not sure
He who dwells in pond

Sim

I think I'll show this thread to David as he might find the poll results interesting.  If you'd like to vote before that, go ahead!

In case it's helpful, below is an image that compares the two Psittacosaurus species in the poll to the BotM one (P. mongoliensis).
  (Image source)
P. lujiatunensis and P. sibiricus look distinct enough from P. mongoliensis to make them worthwhile figures, in my opinion.  I like the deep head of P. lujiatunensis.  It is also believed to be ancestral to all the other Psittacosaurus species.  P. lujiatunensis might also be the species of Psittacosaurus that had its colouration discovered.  And apparently it's known from thousands of specimens, so it would be good if it got a figure.

Eatmycar

Achaeroraptor, Pyroraptor, and Atrociraptor. The first because the Blue Footed Boobie scheme is just so damn striking, and the latter two because I'm positive they'd sell well due to Jurassic. Gotta recoup losses somehow.

I would love a redo on Mononykus (preferably in Prehistoric Planet colors) and Buitreraptor or just an Austroraptor in general. Maybe Leptoceratops or Microceratops. If we go beyond that, I'd prefer we keep it at babies for some of the more popular ceratopsians. I frankly have no interest in, nor do I understand the yearning some people have for obscure, niche genera known from like a few rib bones and a jaw bone...

Sim

You mentioned you have no interest in nor understand the yearning for obscure, niche genera known from fragments, but aren't the first three you mentioned (Acheroraptor, Atrociraptor, Pyroraptor) exactly that?

I agree with you that Mononykus and Buitreraptor, as well as Microraptor, in 1:18 scale would be great!  I would also like the species in the other mini set I proposed.  And like you I too would also like an Austroraptor and Leptoceratops.  I also voted for Saurornithoides and Zanabazar, two troodontids known from good skull material and some other parts, we're overdue good adult troodontid figures; Dilong and Psittacosaurus lujiatunensis which would be nice additions to a Yixian Formation lineup; and Turanoceratops because I like how it looks like a ceratopsid but is actually small and agile.

Halichoeres

Meanwhile Cerasinops is 80% complete, including most of the skull.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

E @Eatmycar FYI "Microceratops" has been renamed Microceratus for some time now. It's also considered a nomen dubium due to the fragmentary remains assigned to it, in which there were no diagnostic features. Most of how it is depicted in pop culture (such as the recent Jurassic World Dominion) is from specimen ZPAL MgD-I/156, which has since been assigned a new genus called Graciliceratops back in 2000.

I also decided to redo my vote. I removed Turanoceratops based on how fragmentary it is, and added Graciliceratops in its place, which although somewhat fragmentary, has a bit more going for it to derive a more accurate reconstruction from. Everything else I voted for remains the same (Acheroraptor, Dilong, Saurornitholestes, Zhenyuanlong, Leptoceratops, Buitreraptor, Mononykus, Microraptor set, Halszkaraptor, Sinornithosaurus, Sinosauropteryx set, Stenonychosaurus, and Tianyuraptor).

While some of the others do have better remains like Cerasinops and Montanoceratops, for example, I'd settle for just the two smaller ones I mentioned above.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

In a way "Microceratops" is in the poll as Graciliceratops, since that is what reconstructions of it tended to be based on, as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin described.

Duck

I might have missed it, but is Udanoceratops on the list? Because that's one I'd really love to see
He who dwells in pond

Sim

avatar_Duck @Duck, Udanoceratops is now in the poll. :)  I expect avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx will be happy about this.

I wanted this poll to be for small figures David intends to make and small figures that could share parts with them or available figures.  I selected small species only since David is making them alongside his new BotM series and Cyberzoic.  Although Deinonychus is planned for Cyberzoic and I thought it would be good to see if there's interest in species that could share parts with it.  Udanoceratops appears to just be able to fit in this poll as I think it could share parts with the BotM Zuniceratops.  In addition it's a species David was planning to make for the ceratopsian series.

As I did it for all the other species in the poll, here are the other BotM animals Udanoceratops lived alongside, with the ones in the poll in bold:
Halszkaraptor, Saurornithoides, Tsaagan, Udanoceratops: Protoceratops a., Protoceratops h., Velociraptor m.

andrewsaurus rex

i'll take anything in 1/18.  But to be honest, I wish they would reduce the amount of  articulation in the small figures.  A bit is ok but so much I feel ruins the lines of the figure.  Perhaps i'm alone in feeling this way.  It would also probably cut down on the cost of the figures..$25US for the 1/18 Psittacosaurus is a bit eye watering. 

Someone once said that the 1/6 raptors looked like marionettes and I feel the 1/18 raptors look like little marionettes.

Sim

Well, David said the 1:18 Microraptor, Buitreraptor and Mononykus wouldn't have articulation, and I expect the same would be true for any others of that size.  Interestingly, the sets of figures of that size in the poll are among the most popular choices.  It would be great if David made them, I think they would also get the interest of those who don't collect articulated figures and possibly get them into BotM.

I also find it interesting that in this poll the small ceratopsians tend to be more popular than the small dromaeosaurids.  Only Zhenyuanlong is a popular choice among the small dromaeosaurids.  I hoped the troodontids in the poll would have gotten more votes, but interestingly they are more popular than some of the dromaeosaurids in the poll.  So if the troodontids were made they might sell better than e.g. 1:18 Atrociraptor, Tsaagan or Adasaurus, going by amount of votes.

In my previous post I forgot to mention that another reason why I included new species that could share parts with Deinonychus is because Adasaurus which would be included in the poll in any case would be able to share parts with Deinonychus and other species if made following the maximum size estimate.  So I thought it would be good to see if there's interest in species of this size.

Faelrin

I would certainly be fine with 1:18 Microraptor, etc having no articulation if made in that scale. I think it would just be neat to have those in the same scale as much of the other figures now, if it is at all possible. 
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

wow.......a microraptor in 1/18 would be terrific.    After years of only collecting animal figures that are 1/18 scale, I am now seeing an embarrassment of riches!

Sim

I would love a BotM 1:18 Microraptor!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Would really love a Udanoceratops, was extremely disappointed that David didn't include one before. Interested in quite a few of the others too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: andrewsaurus on October 09, 2022, 10:39:25 PMwow.......a microraptor in 1/18 would be terrific.    After years of only collecting animal figures that are 1/18 scale, I am now seeing an embarrassment of riches!

The Safari Toob one is close to that scale, but the tail is wrong, the hindwings are wrong, and the color is wrong. A BotM one would be pretty cool.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Crackington

Thanks for organising this poll avatar_Sim @Sim.

I've steered away from the BoTM line so far due to reasons of space and price, but small figures would be right up my street. Amongst others I voted for the small sets and for Saurornithoides, a species I've always wanted.

Hopefully this poll may have some influence with David Silva.

Halichoeres

I'm struck by the fact that Atrociraptor and Pyroraptor did so poorly, though I agree with that consensus. I bet you'd get a different result in another venue given that every other dinosaur collecting community on the web seems more heavily weighted toward JW fans.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: