News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

mb-cg creations

Started by mb-cg, December 03, 2012, 07:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mb-cg

Hello, this is my first post here and I want to use it as my presentation in the forum. I'm here to show my prehistoric related works and especially to learn from all of you about this wonderful creatures.
I recently have modeled five hadrosaurs in 1/72 scale that are available on Shapeways. This is a render with the low poly versions:

Also some photos of the printed Iguanodon and Olorotitan, that arrived today:

And finally, here is an animation I did of the scene from Jurassic Park where the rex eats a goat: http://www.vimeo.com/21986200

I'm planning to model more dinosaurs that I will be showing here, so I'm open to suggestions  :))

tyrantqueen

Hello, and welcome. I really liked your models, especially the Herrerasaurus.

Just curious, are you ever considering releasing them in a bigger scale (like 1/40 or similar) in future?

I'd like to see some more theropods from you :)

radman

Welcome, mb-gg!
I actually just ordered 4 of these last week - should have waited a few days and gotten the para (and maybe the little man) as well.  Next time for sure.    Check out the shapeways thread for some of your Triassic creatures that I got and sort-of painted.  They are wonderful!  I got the Opthalmosaurus too.
Anyway, my suggestions for new projects would be anything not-too common, i.e., no T.rex, Triceratops, etc.  Coelophysis/Syntarsus and Othnelia, Dryosaurus, Mononykus jump to mind.
Again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

SBell

Those are very cool! I am hoping to do a Shapeways order by year end, so I will keep these in mind with the rest.

As for other figures, I think a lot of people would be interested in smaller species that would be (roughly) to scale with the usual 1:40 figures.

There were some small ones mentioned, but others that don't get made (but should) would include Troodon, Thescelosaurus, fabrosaurus, Hesperonychus...really, most hypsilophodonts and small theropods. Even ornithomimids don't get much love.

Or, branching a little...what about Mesozoic birds? Or archaic near-dinos like Saltoposuchus?

ZoPteryx

Welcome mb-cg!  Gosh those are really cool, I've got to start getting some shapeways figures! :o

Quote from: SBell on December 03, 2012, 08:24:37 PM
As for other figures, I think a lot of people would be interested in smaller species that would be (roughly) to scale with the usual 1:40 figures.

I agree.  How about Masiakasaurus, Eoraptor, Troodon, Buitreraptor, Sinosauropteryx, Tanycolagreus, Siocalliopteryx, Falcarius, Xionguanlong, Shuvuuia, Limusaurus, Coelophysis, Pelecanimimus, and some pterosaurs.  Too much? :)

mb-cg

First of all, thanks for your warm welcome  ^-^

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 03, 2012, 07:34:28 PM
Hello, and welcome. I really liked your models, especially the Herrerasaurus.

Just curious, are you ever considering releasing them in a bigger scale (like 1/40 or similar) in future?

I'd like to see some more theropods from you :)

I began with smaller scale figures to make them cheaper. Anyway, once I have the models done it's not hard to make them bigger. If it's possible (there is a bounding box limitation for the models) I will try to make 1/40 versions. And yes, now I have "finished" with hadrosaurs I will go with less common dinosaurs.

Quote from: radman on December 03, 2012, 07:49:32 PM
Welcome, mb-gg!
I actually just ordered 4 of these last week - should have waited a few days and gotten the para (and maybe the little man) as well.  Next time for sure.    Check out the shapeways thread for some of your Triassic creatures that I got and sort-of painted.  They are wonderful!  I got the Opthalmosaurus too.
Anyway, my suggestions for new projects would be anything not-too common, i.e., no T.rex, Triceratops, etc.  Coelophysis/Syntarsus and Othnelia, Dryosaurus, Mononykus jump to mind.
Again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

I saw the shapeways thread and the photos with the figures painted and with that background are great, you did an amazing job :)

The little man is just a 3d model I used to compare the size with an average human, anyway I have the idea of making a 1/72 Alan Grant (that would be possible only in frosted detail materials) to put next to the dinosaurs.

Those are very cool! I am hoping to do a Shapeways order by year end, so I will keep these in mind with the rest.

There were some small ones mentioned, but others that don't get made (but should) would include Troodon, Thescelosaurus, fabrosaurus, Hesperonychus...really, most hypsilophodonts and small theropods. Even ornithomimids don't get much love.

Or, branching a little...what about Mesozoic birds? Or archaic near-dinos like Saltoposuchus?

You mean making that smaller species to 1:40 scale? It's possible, but I suppose that a more detailed material would be needed.
As I said, once you have the model finished you can adapt it to different scales. For that smaller species, besides 1/40, what is the preferred scale to use? Don't know if there is a standardized one.

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 03, 2012, 09:30:58 PM
Welcome mb-cg!  Gosh those are really cool, I've got to start getting some shapeways figures! :o

I agree.  How about Masiakasaurus, Eoraptor, Troodon, Buitreraptor, Sinosauropteryx, Tanycolagreus, Siocalliopteryx, Falcarius, Xionguanlong, Shuvuuia, Limusaurus, Coelophysis, Pelecanimimus, and some pterosaurs.  Too much? :)

Little by little, who knows? XD

I take note of your suggestions, and I like the strangest species, that's why my first model was the Hyperodapedon XD But I don't know what will be the first, although I have an unfinished model of a little sauropod called Malawisaurus that can be in the pole position...

SBell

When it comes to common scale, 1:40 is the most common, although many companies do not follow any specific scale. Most companies, really.

The species I mentioned would be good as Shapeways models because, at 1:40, they are still fairly small and so wouldn't be ridiculously expensive. And they can be very detailed--you may notice some from David Krentz that are as small as 1:144 and very detailed.

Others--like me--are more about variety anyway. In this instance, another common collection type is the small size ones--regardless of scale, these would be ones that are about 3"-4" long. This fits ones like small Play Visions, Dinotales, Safari Toobs, and many of the Japanese small dinos.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI began with smaller scale figures to make them cheaper. Anyway, once I have the models done it's not hard to make them bigger. If it's possible (there is a bounding box limitation for the models) I will try to make 1/40 versions. And yes, now I have "finished" with hadrosaurs I will go with less common dinosaurs.
Just to let you know, if you made any of your hadros in 1:40 scale, you have a potential buyer in me right now ;D

postsaurischian

I actually just ordered 4 of these last week - should have waited a few days and gotten the para (and maybe the little man) as well.

....... same here ::) ;D!

>>> mb-cg: Your models are really BEAUTIFUL :D!

mb-cg

I did a test with a 1/40 Troodon printable in WSF material. It's very small, 5cm wide and uploaded to Shapeways although it's not visible in the shop, and it costs about 3€/4$. It's not very detailed cause every part in the model must be at least 0,7mm. For example the thickness of the lower part of the legs is 1,4mm.

Also did a quick test with the Parasaurolophus model, to make a female version, cause it's not very common:

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 04, 2012, 02:28:54 PM
I actually just ordered 4 of these last week - should have waited a few days and gotten the para (and maybe the little man) as well.

....... same here ::) ;D!

>>> mb-cg: Your models are really BEAUTIFUL :D!

Thanks, I'm glad you like them  :D

SBell

I think the Troodon looks great--hopefully you will have it available soon!

brontodocus

Hi and welcome, I always wanted to get one of your excellent shapeways models (urgh, haven't ordered from there in a year or so :-\ ). Your new hadrosaurs look lovely, I especially like the Shantungosaurus! :)

Thinking of the 1/40 Troodon - wouldn't it be a good idea to release a more detailed version that can be printed in Frosted Ultra Detail? As far as I know wall thickness doesn't have to be that much for FUD and the extra cost for that material may be not that much considering the model's small dimensions. :) You could probably release two versions then, one for WSF and one for FUD. On the other hand it may well be that parts that may look a little thick now won't be too conspicuous on a printed model no more than 50 mm long. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Why not doing a Troodon in 1:20 :)?

Patrx

The proportions and shape of the Troodon look pretty close, but I do have some suggestions regarding the feather distribution. I might consider adding some fluff to the neck and face - it seems that the faces of deinonychosaurs had feathers covering everything but the tip of the snout. The wings, based again on evidence from related creatures, ought to have feathers covering the second digit as well. Also, if Troodon was much like the troodontids we have clear feather imprints from, its feet might be covered in feathers, like some those of some owls. Sadly, we don't yet have any feather imprints from Troodon itself, so one can't be sure about the specifics.

You might also consider adding some muscle to the thigh area - much like a modern bird. You can see in that diagram I linked to, the rest of the legs are pretty much skin and bone, but the thighs are quite robust.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

mb-cg

I'm working on a detailed version of the Troodon, and now I have the base of the model:

With this model I can have a 1:40 version only printable with FUD and will do bigger versions in 1:20 scale and maybe 1:12 too, like the Herrerasaurus. Also the WSF version of the Troodon is now available on Shapeways.

Quote from: Pixelboy on December 05, 2012, 09:11:55 PM
The proportions and shape of the Troodon look pretty close, but I do have some suggestions regarding the feather distribution. I might consider adding some fluff to the neck and face - it seems that the faces of deinonychosaurs had feathers covering everything but the tip of the snout. The wings, based again on evidence from related creatures, ought to have feathers covering the second digit as well. Also, if Troodon was much like the troodontids we have clear feather imprints from, its feet might be covered in feathers, like some those of some owls. Sadly, we don't yet have any feather imprints from Troodon itself, so one can't be sure about the specifics.

You might also consider adding some muscle to the thigh area - much like a modern bird. You can see in that diagram I linked to, the rest of the legs are pretty much skin and bone, but the thighs are quite robust.

Thanks a lot for the information, I'll keep it in mind for the detailed version I'm working on  :)

Himmapaan

I'm a little late, but welcome!

Beautiful models. I'm so glad to see such a robust focus on hadrosaurs. I love your Olorotitan and Shantungosaurus especially.

ingenia

First I have to say I really like your sculptures!
As I am trying to learn digital sculpting, it would be nice if you could tell me your thoughts about how to start.Which program (or which combination of programs) do you use?
I am now learning the basics with the free program Sculptris, and I am planning to buy Zbrush next year.If you are not using Zbrush, could you tell me why?
Thanks

mb-cg

Quote from: Himmapaan on December 06, 2012, 11:44:26 PM
I'm a little late, but welcome!

Beautiful models. I'm so glad to see such a robust focus on hadrosaurs. I love your Olorotitan and Shantungosaurus especially.

Thanks, means a lot coming from you, your drawings are really inspiring. I think hadrosaurs have lots of different and wonderful shapes and it's a pleasure modeling them.

Quote from: ingenia on December 07, 2012, 04:57:48 PM
First I have to say I really like your sculptures!
As I am trying to learn digital sculpting, it would be nice if you could tell me your thoughts about how to start.Which program (or which combination of programs) do you use?
I am now learning the basics with the free program Sculptris, and I am planning to buy Zbrush next year.If you are not using Zbrush, could you tell me why?
Thanks

Hello and sorry for your health issue, I hope you get better. Sometimes happens that a problem opens you new opportunities. I use 3ds max to do the base mesh and then Mudbox for the detailing. I have tried Zbrush a couple of times, but I don't see it very intuitive, so I come back to Mudbox. It's just a personal appreciation and now you are beginning you can test both to see which one you like the most. I think It's good that you are learning Sculptris to get used to 3d sculpting applications. Maybe you can test also Blender to see how a complete 3d tool works.

Finally I want to show this model of a Stygimoloch I did for an illustration (my avatar is part of it):

postsaurischian

Wow - nice Stygimoloch :).

.... and WOW again! Today I received four species of your Ornithopod quintet :D. ... what can I say? They're incredibly AWESOME :o :))!!
Absolutely beautiful and in scale. I love how huge the Shantungosaurus is compared to the Ourano :). (I guess 'Wild Safari' for example wouldn't have made the Shantungo any bigger.)

Very, VERY beautiful sculpts - I have to pay you huge kudos!!!
I'm afraid I can't take pics before the arrival of the missing Parasaurolophus (I ordered the other four too early ::) ;D) but I have to say (sorry, don't get me wrong - take it as a compliment for your brilliant models): Your photos don't do them justice at all!
They're so much more elegant in reality - I can hardly believe you made five different species of Ornithopods in this quality ... and all in scale to each other ... just the way I (we ???) love it. THANK YOU :-*!

Another thing: They go perfectly with Angie's Hadrosaurs and none of her species was doubled here (with the exception of the Para, which Angie doesn't offer anymore). Coincidence? ;D  ....... Anyway - I'm flashed - Thanks so much!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: