News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Possible Carnegie Scam

Started by Lynx, November 10, 2022, 02:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Hey there, I was scrolling through E-bay and found what a seller lists as a "rare variant" of the Carnegie Brachiosaurus. Suspicious, I decided to look at the Dinosaur Mountain website to check if that variant existed. It was not listed nor was there anything similar. Then again, the website is not fully finished, and some variants might be missing.

I am asking more experienced collectors if this is an actual variant of the Brachiosaurus, or cheaply painted over.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195445484330?hash=item2d81756b2a:g:rcIAAOSwSqRjYHHD&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBRdGw2NDQkAP3AFq6YMnYTMdgZxzEtJDNeEw5H6JcLpHs1ZsAJw1feSRS9KVcDDWDWzti8yLrdcRZdyhCPcs2i9FwlUgrcD6QoOgpNebBp1A4eH%2FKCXTCfm0RwxqamekLjytjDigEqtV1S9pdVIKKfstmq1%2FxN9OiDsGkA3dDv7ahfHCv8wZ%2BUXcsUpxvR87ukjsq%2BGPgceDI664zVMNuM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5Dvr56MYQ
An oversized house cat.

Ikessauro

The link  you provided is for a Wild Safari Brachiosaurus from 1997 if I'm not mistaken. It is not a Carnegie dinosaur, but it is a real toy with factory paint. By the way, in the eBay link you sent, there is no mention to Carnegie Collection anywhere, just Safari Ltd.
I do in fact have that WS version. I'd say it is indeed the rarer of the tree, but not 100 dollars worth. One sold for 35 a while ago on eBay and I have seen it for even less than 20. It is uncommon, not super rare.

CityRaptor

Interesting. Has some similarities to the paint job of the 2012 Carnegie Brachio.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lynx

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 10, 2022, 06:52:20 PMThe link  you provided is for a Wild Safari Brachiosaurus from 1997 if I'm not mistaken. It is not a Carnegie dinosaur, but it is a real toy with factory paint. By the way, in the eBay link you sent, there is no mention to Carnegie Collection anywhere, just Safari Ltd.
I do in fact have that WS version. I'd say it is indeed the rarer of the tree, but not 100 dollars worth. One sold for 35 a while ago on eBay and I have seen it for even less than 20. It is uncommon, not super rare.

It came up upon me searching up Carnegie Brachiosaurus, thus I assumed it was one, as listings often mention Safari LTD instead of Carnegie.

Thank you for the info.
An oversized house cat.

terrorchicken

thats the one I have. Still love it to bits despite the crazy color scheme. :))

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 10, 2022, 06:55:20 PMInteresting. Has some similarities to the paint job of the 2012 Carnegie Brachio.

Interestingly there are several examples of WS or other Safari products mirroring Carnegie colorways. Note in Ikessauro's photos the standard green WS Brachio is very close in color the the 2007 Carnegie Brachiosaurus. The Dino Discoveries Velociraptor and 2007 Carnegie also have identical color schemes. A few other examples I'm probably forgetting as well (and some of the post-2015 WS Carnegie "replacements" have had variations on their old Carnegie colors too).

Pretty common for people on eBay who aren't experts on collectibles confusing Carnegie and other Safari lines. The only reasonable explanation for why this is listed at $99 is probably the seller searched for Safari Brachiosaurus, saw the 2012 Carnegie going for big bucks, and did not notice much of a difference  ???
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.