News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Holy hell we finally have an Ouranosaurus on the market!

Not sure what's going on with the manus though. There is no evidence for an Edmontosaurus-like hoof in Ouranosaurus. Which makes sense since it's a basal offshoot hadrosauriform. The individual digits would've likely been more distinct & mobile than the "fused" condition seen in derived hadrosaurs, and the ungual phalanges were elongate and present on multiple digits. Especially considering Ouranosaurus was probably only facultatively quadrupedal rather than an obligate quadruped.

I believe the current consensus is that claws/hooves were present on digits I - III , with digits IV - V being encased in soft tissue. But the main point being the condition seen in Edmontosaurus is not applicable to Ouranosaurus. The thumb spike seems to be entirely missing as well.

Hopefully better pics clears this up, but so far I'm not confident in this reconstruction. Again a shame if the inaccuracies are indeed present, as the rest of the figure looks amazing. It's the little, but crucial things that holds back HaoLongGood figures unfortunately.

ceratopsian

Oh - you chose the perfect model for my collection in the Ouranosaurus V @vampiredesign!  Thank you!

Although I do see what you mean about the manus, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy.

Jose S.M.

They look beautiful for sure! Just like the Nasutoceratops very aesthetically pleasing!

Faelrin

Well these are beautiful. Very glad to see Ouranosaurus made here. Been wanting a figure of one for so long. The red and blue coloration reminds me of the PNSO mini. Might look good alongside it, with the mini as a baby perhaps. May have to pick one up. Agree with avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy about the anatomical issues on the hands (but at least it isn't like Mattel's six digits lol), but otherwise it still looks very beautiful and will be nice to have since none of the other companies like CollectA, PNSO (mini aside), Safari Ltd have bothered to make one. Really the last decent Ouranosaurus has been the Battat one from the 1990's. It's really been that long of a wait.

So thank you guys for making these two. Now I'm just wondering how it will look alongside the PNSO Suchomimus, and Safari Ltd Sarcosuchus to have a nice little Elrhaz formation display.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

That Ouranosaurus sculpt is most impressive!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Thialfi

Fantastic work V @vampiredesign, thank you! They look beautiful. Finally, an updated Ouranosaurus to grace our collections!

Pliosaurking

Fantastic!!! Finally a Ouranosaurus figure has been made, and it looks absolutely amazing!

Fembrogon

Now that's an exciting reveal! I'm delighted we finally have a new Ouranosaurus model coming.

Thanks for that breakdown of the feet, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy; it will definitely be valuable to get more photos of the design. I also was wondering about the sail, as it looks smaller than usually depicted. Is the musculature/"padding" just being handled differently here?

Duna

What a lovely figure. A must buy! ^-^

Flaffy

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 20, 2023, 03:04:59 PMThanks for that breakdown of the feet, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy; it will definitely be valuable to get more photos of the design. I also was wondering about the sail, as it looks smaller than usually depicted. Is the musculature/"padding" just being handled differently here?

The smaller-looking sail seems to be an artefact of a healthy amount of soft tissue applied onto the bones. Not dissimilar to PK's reconstruction.

Lynx

This looks great! I don't have interest in the model but definitely a definitive version.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: vampiredesign on March 20, 2023, 11:40:45 AM

They look great!  An excellent choice of species too, as there is a lack of good Ouranosaurus figures.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the thumb claw, I don't see it on these models.  Did Ouranosaurus really have a thumb claw?

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

ceratopsian

The Paratype MSNVE 3714, mounted in the Natural History Museum in Venice, has a smallish thumb claw clearly visible (and a long 5th digit) - if you look on the ubiquitous (and of course not always reliable) Wikipedia entry, there is a frontal photo of this paratype that shows the manus well.  What I don't know, of course, is how much of the mount is original and how much is plaster infill!

Quote from: Sim on March 20, 2023, 04:34:52 PM.....
They look great!  An excellent choice of species too, as there is a lack of good Ouranosaurus figures.  The only thing I'm not sure about is the thumb claw, I don't see it on these models.  Did Ouranosaurus really have a thumb claw?

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 20, 2023, 04:50:09 PMThe Paratype MSNVE 3714, mounted in the Natural History Museum in Venice, has a smallish thumb claw clearly visible (and a long 5th digit) - if you look on the ubiquitous (and of course not always reliable) Wikipedia entry, there is a frontal photo of this paratype that shows the manus well.  What I don't know, of course, is how much of the mount is original and how much is plaster infill!

Quote from: Sim on March 20, 2023, 04:34:52 PM.....

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian avatar_Sim @Sim

Excerpt from the paper:

" "Tiny hand bearing a spur-like and small fifth metacarpal that is not laterally directed" — Actually, the spur-like bone is not the metacarpal V but the ungual phalanx of manus digit I. According to Taquet (1976, p. 133) and the plaster copies mounted in the Venice specimen, the ungual phalanx of digit I of O. nigeriensis is "spur-like" as are those of I. bernissartensis, M. atherfieldensis and 'Iguanodon mantelli'. According to McDonald et al. (2012a, p. 29), the ungual of manus digit I is a conical element in many basal styracosternans, including U. aphanocetes, Lurdusaurus arenatus, Barilium dawsoni, I. bernissartensis, M. atherfieldensis, O. nigeriensis, A. kurzanovi, J. yangi, E. caroljonesa and P. gobiensis. According to Norman (2015, character 80, p. 187), the ungual phalanx of manus digit I is a "conical spike" in C. dispar, an "enlarged and laterally compressed spine" in M. atherfieldensis, I. bernissartensis, O. nigeriensis, A. kurzanovi, J. yangi, H. fittoni, B. dawsoni and Bolong yixianensis, and a "small, narrow spine" in P. gobiensis. So, "spur-like" ungual phalanx of manus digit I is not an apomorphy of O. nigeriensis. As for size, the ungual phalanx of manus digit I of O. nigeriensis figured in Taquet (1976, fig. 53) is comparable to that of M. atherfieldensis (see Norman, 1986, fig. 50A). Furthermore, the size of that ungual phalanx can be intraspecifically variable (Verdú et al., 2017). The ungual phalanx of digit I is nearly perpendicular to the axis of the hand in I. bernissartensis (see Norman, 1980, figs. 60 and 62), M. atherfieldensis (see Norman, 1986, fig. 50A) and H. cf. fittoni (see Norman, 2015, fig. 38), but the direction of the phalanx could be the same in Uteodon aphanocetes (see Carpenter & Wilson, 2008, fig. 22A) and B. yixianensis (see Wu & Godefroit, 2012, fig. 19.9) as in O. nigeriensis. "

TLDR: Yes. It had a thumb spike. If the figure does not include a spike, then it would be regarded as a glaring inaccuracy.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: vampiredesign on March 20, 2023, 11:40:45 AM

These guys look amazing... Are they in 1:35 scale?

Although I hope they balance okay, the front foot looks a bit strange hmm...

Sim

Thanks avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy!  I hope the figure does have a thumb spike as I like the green version quite a lot.  I'm not sure I will get it if it doesn't have a thumb spike.

ceratopsian

SidB

Quote from: Sim on March 20, 2023, 05:23:21 PMThanks avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy!  I hope the figure does have a thumb spike as I like the green version quite a lot.  I'm not sure I will get it if it doesn't have a thumb spike.
I don't think that it would be a formidable challenge to add thumb spikes on the two forefeet if required. However I hope that that won't be necessary.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 20, 2023, 12:51:07 PMOh - you chose the perfect model for my collection in the Ouranosaurus V @vampiredesign!  Thank you!

Although I do see what you mean about the manus, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy.
I, for one, am concerned that the lack of a thumb spike would be a serious impediment for the peripatic Ouranosaurus attempting to hitchhike. Gotta have a thumb to get far along the highway of life!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: