News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 11, 2024, 06:38:09 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 11, 2024, 12:51:21 AMDidn't Safari used to cast real specimens for it's 1:1 creatures?
They sure did, I have a few that are (a few snakes, an iguana, monitor lizard, and tokay gecko), and I believe one or two snakes that are might even still be in production.

I thought so but wasn't sure that was ever confirmed. It's no wonder they seemed the most realistic. I'm assuming that's a practice they are no longer comfortable with?  You can't get more accurate though.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 11, 2024, 07:14:31 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 11, 2024, 06:38:09 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 11, 2024, 12:51:21 AMDidn't Safari used to cast real specimens for it's 1:1 creatures?
They sure did, I have a few that are (a few snakes, an iguana, monitor lizard, and tokay gecko), and I believe one or two snakes that are might even still be in production.

I thought so but wasn't sure that was ever confirmed. It's no wonder they seemed the most realistic. I'm assuming that's a practice they are no longer comfortable with?  You can't get more accurate though.

So long as the specimens are ethically sourced, it's quite an ingenious way to produce a figure IMO. Ensures total accuracy as well.
Monitor lizard: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=735.0
Tokay gecko: https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t22242-tokay-gecko-1996
Emerald tree boa: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1560.0

Shane

Currently no new figures are sourced from real specimen casts, they are all sculpted by people either by hand or digitally. It's been this way for some time.

The Tuatara TOOB piece and IC are unique from each other and not based on the same sculpt.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shane on January 11, 2024, 01:17:04 PMCurrently no new figures are sourced from real specimen casts, they are all sculpted by people either by hand or digitally. It's been this way for some time.

The Tuatara TOOB piece and IC are unique from each other and not based on the same sculpt.

Not to knock any sculptor but it would be a better way to go for 1:1 species again unless there is a down side I miss?

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 11, 2024, 02:59:47 PMNot to knock any sculptor but it would be a better way to go for 1:1 species again unless there is a down side I miss?

I will admit I'm wholly unfamiliar with the sourcing process for this and honestly would not know where to start. But I would assume for a lot of reptiles there are protections in place regarding international trade of specimens.

For tuataras specifically, they are 100% protected and there is a full ban on international trade on wild specimens (living or dead) and I can only imagine how strictly regulated any other type of trade of non-wild sourced specimens is.

Then there is the issue of storage and the actual molding process, which would depend on a facility's capabilities and I would imagine most manufacturing facilities have moved away from this over the last 20 or 30 years.

There's also another issue that isn't as objective but is just something that I feel personally, and that is that the figures sourced from real specimens always feel lifeless. They tend to have a very specific style of posing and look that renders them very flat and lacking in dynamic energy. Also it was always obvious to me when a figure was sourced from a real specimen because there were the kind of wrinkles and and folds that were tell tale signs of a dead and preserved specimen, and don't necessarily reflect how they looked in life. There's a kind of "shrinkwrapping", for lack of a better word, that goes on with preserving specimens, and at least to me all of the figures based on real castings always looked like not alive animals.

Faelrin

I never knew Safari Ltd did this in the past. Wow.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shane

Quote from: Faelrin on January 11, 2024, 04:44:45 PMI never knew Safari Ltd did this in the past. Wow.

Just to clarify, it's not something I have any "inside" knowledge about, but in the past it was believed to be a common practice, not just specifically at Safari, but for many animal figurine companies. For example, many of these older AAA Lizards: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/AAA_Lizards

There are certain figures that it seems pretty likely were cast from real specimens, as I mentioned there appear to be some "tell tale" signs, but this isn't something that I have ever personally observed or been involved with, as I don't think it really persisted with most companies past the 90s.

Faelrin

S @Shane Thanks. Good to know it wasn't just Safari. Also in case anyone wonders, I'm not offended by this, just think it is kind of weird lol. Like on one hand you get the skin detail accurate as can be, but you also get the side effect of it being from a totally dead animal, lol. Better then a living one I suppose. That said I'm glad the sculptors are working from reference. It takes skill and patience to work from reference, and replicate it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Personally I love them, and while some end up looking flat, you get other examples like the safari caiman (personal holy grail I'm searching for) that look extremely lifelike. There are others as well that look particularly good, the Safari Amazon tree boa and AAA blue tongued skink come to mind.

As for nowadays, I would think 3D scanning could be used to get detailed scans of a specimen without needing to worry about obtaining and casting one. Could even be done in partnership with museums. Then the pose and details can be digitally edited to make it feel a little more alive.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on January 11, 2024, 01:17:04 PMThe Tuatara TOOB piece and IC are unique from each other and not based on the same sculpt.

Thanks! That explains the minor proportional differences between the two then.

Regarding using real specimens, I find the benefits of casting from real animals far exceed the potential drawbacks. Especially in species with naturally tough integument that doesn't deform even after death. avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek brings up a brilliant point on 3D scanning, but the hardware required isn't cheap I imagine.

Shane

Quote from: Flaffy on January 11, 2024, 09:11:58 PM
Quote from: Shane on January 11, 2024, 01:17:04 PMThe Tuatara TOOB piece and IC are unique from each other and not based on the same sculpt.

Thanks! That explains the minor proportional differences between the two then.

Regarding using real specimens, I find the benefits of casting from real animals far exceed the potential drawbacks. Especially in species with naturally tough integument that doesn't deform even after death. avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek brings up a brilliant point on 3D scanning, but the hardware required isn't cheap I imagine.

It's a very interesting idea but I would imagine the chief hurdle is logistics - getting the reptile to the 3D scanner, or getting the 3D scanner to the reptile.

bmathison1972

My 2023 Kentrosaurus came in today. I assumed it was just a repaint of the older version, but it is stamped 2023 which suggests at least some refinement of the sculpt. Or is it new? S @Shane avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson ? thanks

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 12, 2024, 11:06:10 PMMy 2023 Kentrosaurus came in today. I assumed it was just a repaint of the older version, but it is stamped 2023 which suggests at least some refinement of the sculpt. Or is it new? S @Shane avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson ? thanks

The inscription was updated to meet new requirements such as tracking info that have changed in the intervening decade. So the date of the inscription was also updated.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on March 13, 2024, 12:15:52 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 12, 2024, 11:06:10 PMMy 2023 Kentrosaurus came in today. I assumed it was just a repaint of the older version, but it is stamped 2023 which suggests at least some refinement of the sculpt. Or is it new? S @Shane avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson ? thanks

The inscription was updated to meet new requirements such as tracking info that have changed in the intervening decade. So the date of the inscription was also updated.

OK thanks! I like it more in-hand than I thought I would from promo pics.

Flaffy

Another month and still no sign of the rest of the 2023 figures arriving the UK...

Really hope us UK collectors won't have to wait till summer.

Chasmosaurus

Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Flaffy

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on March 13, 2024, 04:06:51 PMThe utharaptor is available on everythingdinosaur.com

I'm referring to the other 2023 releases like Estemmenosuchus, Stegouros and Therizinosaurus.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Flaffy on March 13, 2024, 05:40:45 PM
Quote from: Chasmosaurus on March 13, 2024, 04:06:51 PMThe utharaptor is available on everythingdinosaur.com

I'm referring to the other 2023 releases like Estemmenosuchus, Stegouros and Therizinosaurus.

Therizinosaurus isn't even available in the US yet either and Stegouros only recently became available  ;)

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 13, 2024, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on March 13, 2024, 05:40:45 PM

Therizinosaurus isn't even available in the US yet either and Stegouros only recently became available  ;)

You're right, wouldn't be accurate to say that the Theri and Stego are 2023 releases. :'(

I do miss Safari's old way of announcements and releases, but I understand why they switched over to a more rolling release schedule.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Flaffy on March 13, 2024, 03:54:17 PMAnother month and still no sign of the rest of the 2023 figures arriving the UK...

Really hope us UK collectors won't have to wait till summer.
We'll be waiting until next year don't you worry
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: